Can the Footswitches on the FM9 be se to do this?

stm113

Power User
I am going to try to make this as concise while a quick as possible.

For a lot of years I used my AF2 and a Voodoo Labs GC-Pro in the 4 preset/8 Stomp mode which covered most of what I needed. A few years ago I got a stoopid deal on a new amp an picked up a Helix Lt to use for FX. Eventually that rig became inconvenient so I sold off the amp, but I really liked the convenience of the Helix on the floor so I have been using it since. Lets be honest, the modeling of amps in the Helix can't touch FAS amp modeling, but the flexibility of the units as far as switching is awesome. However, when I saw the FM9 announcement my interest was peaked.

So here is my question.

How flexible are the Foot Switch assignments on the FM9? Can you use both Scenes and Modifiers in the same preset/layout? With the Helix Lt there are 12 Foot Switches, 10 of which I can pretty much do what ever I want to with, I currently have it set up selecting a preset, then hitting the FS assigned to Mode function which opens up the preset, inside that preset I can select Snapshots (Scenes) and/or Stomps. Most of my patches I have 4 Snaps and 4 Stomps, I find this to be very useful. From what I have been reading in the manual for the FM9 it looks like the "Layout" is either/or. Am I wrong?

The FC style switching on the FM9 is extremely flexible. Every one of the 12 switches in each of the 9 layouts can be customized for both tap and hold functions. You can easily setup a layout to have a combination of scenes and effects switching. I'd recommend checking out the FC manual for details.

I think the FM9 is MORE flexible than what you're describing.
And of course there are also per-preset capability, which allows you to customize things to extremes.

The FC style switching on the FM9 is extremely flexible. Every one of the 12 switches in each of the 9 layouts can be customized for both tap and hold functions. You can easily setup a layout to have a combination of scenes and effects switching. I'd recommend checking out the FC manual for details.
I went back and read through it again, it looks like adding an Expression Pedal. and 2 switches and I will be set!

OK so for those in the know would this work? Assuming the numbering below (some of the descriptions may be unnecessary) :

Switch 1-Toggles between Dry Rhythm scene and Lead Scene. (i.e. default Scene 1, tap again takes you to scene 4, tap again back to 1)
Switch 2- Selects Scene
Switch 3- Selects Scene set for Clean- HOLD function enables Tuner.
Switch 6- Tap Tempo
Switches 4, 5, 7 & 8 Turn FX Blocks on/off.
Switch 9- Selects between 2 Layouts 1- That would utilize switches 7 & 8 to scroll banks Up/Down and 1- Layout that would "open up" the preset to be able to select Scenes & Presets on/off in the above described method.

I'd use my Mission Labs EP-1 as am external controller for WAH with the Auto On/Off feature.

I think if I could do this, it would be a compromise I could work with.
1634354444030.png

OK so for those in the know would this work? Assuming the numbering below (some of the descriptions may be unnecessary) :

Switch 1-Toggles between Dry Rhythm scene and Lead Scene. (i.e. default Scene 1, tap again takes you to scene 4, tap again back to 1)
Switch 2- Selects Scene
Switch 6- Tap Tempo
Switch 9- Selects between 2 Layouts 1- That would utilize switches 7 & 8 to scroll banks Up/Down and 1- Layout that would "open up" the preset to be able to select Scenes & Presets on/off in the above described method.

I'd use my Mission Labs EP-1 as am external controller for WAH with the Auto On/Off feature.

View attachment 90321
Yes, you can do that. The Layouts that ship with the unit are good, but not chiseled in stone. I have found them flexible enough that 3 layouts gives me all the switches I need for the FM9....

Switch 2- Selects Scene
Switch 6- Tap Tempo

View attachment 90321
Definitely.

Back
Top Bottom