Can the FM3 change a real amps ch's in the 4cm?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I know there are very few here using the FM3 in the 4cm for effects only with Real amps, but if you are familiar with this set up can I configure my unit to switch the amps channels too?

Not unless the amp uses midi for channel changes. There is not a relay like there was with the FX8.

Is there a third party box available that will take midi commands to control relay switching?

I briefly had a Suhr Hedgehog, which is midi controlled, and I used scene midi commands to change the hedgehog settings. Worked flawlessly but I hated the Hedgehog and sold it quickly.

Is there a third party box available that will take midi commands to control relay switching?

There is! The Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, and the MIDI Solutions Relay are the two that I’ve been eyeing.

I don’t think the FM3 MIDI has phantom power, so you’d have to use a special MIDI cable to power the MIDI Solutions one though.

There's also the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo which will take MIDI signals and latch switches to control up to 8 amp parameters too.

Mini Amp Gizmo isn't sold anymore is it? Suhr just came out with that one mentioned above, and Mesa just came out with one as well.

There is! The Voodoo Lab Control Switcher, and the MIDI Solutions Relay are the two that I’ve been eyeing.

I don’t think the FM3 MIDI has phantom power, so you’d have to use a special MIDI cable to power the MIDI Solutions one though.
With the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher you'd need to send a SYSEX handshake message string from some other device as the FM3 doesn't transmit arbitrary strings outside of its proprietary sysex control functions. I've been using related for a few decades now, and just happened to speak with the Voodoo Lab folks last week about similar.

From Ben Resnick at Voodoo Lab... F0 00 00 07 01 08 10 F7

I'll be testing switchers soon. I'll let you know if it works. Usually a Command or Ground Control unit does the handshake. And since those units are powered by 9V phantom power I'd use the midi without all pins wired for safety.

And on that note, checking out the other suggestions. :)

Refreshed vote for the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo, which I am now using myself in support and testing.
Coincidentally of note, just picked up a couple of RJM Micro Line Mixers for summing stereo effects in parallel to stereo, 3 wet and 1 dry into wet and dry. Provides buffering and the option to mix dry in with wet. As I understand it, the Mini Line Mixers, no longer made, were used in Bradshaw rack mixers. The Micro replaces that and (unfortunately) puts all the stereo jacks on TRS. Wish I'd known about how these things were used back in the day. Cheers and maybe this helps someone.

Refreshed vote for the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo, which I am now using myself in support and testing.
An update, point of information. Looks like as long as eleven years ago that the Gizmos were designed to double as replacements for Voodoo Lab GCXs. I saw a demo of setting up a Gizmo as one and a half GCXs with a ground control. The Gizmo was phantom powering the Ground Control Pro. (I don't have the "Pro" GC, but it uses basically the same operating system.) Knowing that they were interested in that compatibility with what came before, pretty excited to explore more of their products.

Also learned that RJM's "Micro Line Mixer" replaces the "Mini Line Mixers" from the Bradshaw mixers that I'd been searching for to experiment with recreating 80's rigs, so was pretty happy about that. Cheers and good luck with the amp switching OP!

Back
Top Bottom