Can the Axe-FX II record into PT 9 via USB?

I love Pro Tools 10. Loading an entire session (audio and all) into ram is fantastic, sharp and immediately responsive. I also like the 32bit floating point option.

My $.02

Just remember that with the release of PT11, you're looking at some major upgrade costs if you already have some Digi hardware and you wanna attend that particular party. Your Digi hardware will no longer work with PT11. (Your 002 and my 003 Factory essentially become paperweights.) Also starting with PT11, the RTAS and TDM plugin formats no longer function in Pro Tools. Everything must be ported over to the new AAX format. So there may be costs to be paid to update/upgrade all your plugins too. This will be at the discretion of the plugin manufacturers. Some will charge and I imagine some will not. It's just wait and see right now. So if you've given any thought at all to getting new hardware, I'd just wait for the release of PT11.

I don't have an AxeFX II yet, but how practical will it be to use the II in place of a 003? My context is mostly direct guitar recording with some virtual instruments (synth & drums plug-ins) and occasionally I'll mic an acoustic guitar.

Terry.

Last edited:
Just remember that with the release of PT11, you're looking at some major upgrade costs if you already have some Digi hardware and you wanna attend that particular party. Your Digi hardware will no longer work with PT11. (Your 002 and my 003 Factory essentially become paperweights.) Also starting with PT11, the RTAS and TDM plugin formats no longer function in Pro Tools. Everything must be ported over to the new AAX format. So there may be costs to be paid to update/upgrade all your plugins too. This will be at the discretion of the plugin manufacturers. Some will charge and I imagine some will not. It's just wait and see right now. So if you've given any thought at all to getting new hardware, I'd just wait for the release of PT11.
that just sounds like a major headache I don't wanna go through. Seriously, I'm not gonna wait for Massey or Toontrack or wavelabs to make a stable aax format of a plugin I already paid for and will try to charge me.

I don't have an AxeFX II yet, but how practical will it be to use the II in place of a 003? My context is mostly direct guitar recording with some virtual instruments (synth & drums plug-ins) and occasionally I'll mic an acoustic guitar.

Terry.

From what I hear it should be all you need. I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have a live drum kit to mic up. I'm looking forward to the Axe-II a LOT for this reason. I just need to pick up PT 9.

You're also gonna need to buy an ilok because pro tools 9-10 won't run without it. So you gotta register pt9-10, register ilok, then download the license to the ilok so you can use it.

this is exactly what I have heard as well....quite a change from the digidesign of old that took FOREVER to make any changes to their software, this past couple of months and the next few are going to be some interesting times for them. I really prefer to use logic, but I like editing in PT better....anyway, i would still suggest just going to 9, the big upgrades of it were no more hardware dependency and the latency compensation (time aligns all tracks regardless of number of plugins on the track) which is great for making sure that phasing issues are not occurring. 10 seemed like it was more for the HD platform folks and not much for LE. 11 is going to brick plugins and interfaces, but will likely be 64 bit and allow for higher sample rates in plugins and playback, so it should help put more of the "PT doesn't sound as good" folks in their camp. I am not a big fan of how Avid is doing other things though...the customer service they "provide" has not been great in my experience and now is costly when you are outside of their initial time frame for support. I think Avid got too used to the Hollywood side of things and does not focus on supporting the smaller budget end users well. JHMO....sorry for going off topic!!!

shite!

Takes 6 years for them to release version 7, then bam... 9, 10, 11

Hoping you are wrong about the interface support though. Even the lowly 003 can run with other DAW's and show up as a simple Windows sound card with a driver.

Richard

Hoping you are wrong about the interface support though. Even the lowly 003 can run with other DAW's and show up as a simple Windows sound card with a driver.

Unfortunately, ProTools 10 will be the last version that supports the 003. There is a document on the Avid site confirming it. I took a quick look but I'd have to dig around a bit more to find it. However, it they continue to support the ASIO driver at least we will be able to use it in Reaper, etc. and as an all purpose sound card.

Terry.

I believe the only legacy piece of hardware that's being spared (that's not directly tied to PTHD) MAY be the C24. It's not on that list on Avid's site. But that doesn't mean they won't kill support for it too. 2012 is gonna be an expensive year if you're a PT user.

From Avid.com.....

Q: Is Pro Tools 10 the last new software release for the original Pro Tools|HD hardware?
A: Yes. Pro Tools 10 will be the final full version release to support Pro Tools|HD (TDM) hardware and legacy "Digidesign" audio interfaces, as we make our transition to a full 64-bit application. That said, we're offering fantastic deals to Pro Tools|HD customers to crossgrade to our new Pro Tools|HDX system, which offers up 5x more power than Pro Tools|HD, plus much more headroom for mixing and plug-in processing.

As we move forward, please be aware of the following:

Pro Tools 10 will be the final feature release for Pro Tools|HD TDM systems
Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O
192 Digital I/O
96 I/O
96i I/O
SYNC (original "blue")
SYNC HD (original "blue")
MIDI I/O
003 family
Mbox 2 family
Control|24
Command|8
Pro Control

Please note that we will continue to offer software updates and address issues for legacy hardware for the foreseeable future.

The Control 24 is on this list. I know the C24 was its successor, but now I'm not sure if it's in or out as far as continued support in PT11 and beyond. Avid can be pretty vague with this stuff sometimes and leave you with more questions than you initially had. This is one of those times.

Last edited:
In order to make PT a 64-bit application, RTAS and TDM have to go. But I'd much rather have 64-bit, so that all my sample VI's can have all the RAM they desire. PT 10 is great. Clip Gain is fantastic. The AAX format is a much better format for a variety of reasons.

Remember you can use third-party interfaces, so there's no worry if you're getting into PT now. And if you can get a Student/Educator license, it's far, far cheaper and you get four years of free upgrades. I got 9 in February and just got my 10 for free when it came out. So hit up your local college student/professor with some bribing...!

In order to make PT a 64-bit application, RTAS and TDM have to go. But I'd much rather have 64-bit, so that all my sample VI's can have all the RAM they desire. PT 10 is great. Clip Gain is fantastic. The AAX format is a much better format for a variety of reasons.

Remember you can use third-party interfaces, so there's no worry if you're getting into PT now. And if you can get a Student/Educator license, it's far, far cheaper and you get four years of free upgrades. I got 9 in February and just got my 10 for free when it came out. So hit up your local college student/professor with some bribing...!

Wait...what?? I also got the educational discount for PT 9 back in February from Sweetwater. I did not know that it was elegible for a free upgrade to 10. Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the four years of free updates did not include major revisions (ie: 9 -> 10). How did you get PT 10...were you able to download it from your Avid account or is there a special process?

So my local G.C. says they are ALL out of PT 9 and only have PT 10. Do you think I should sell my 002 to get the 9 upgrade? I will find it somewhere online. When I record it is only myself and some VI's. I think the Axe FX II will be all the interface I need at this point.

Any thoughts?

Webb, it does include major revisions, otherwise it would be pointless! They don't charge for the 9.0X's and the like. And yes I'm sure about that, since I've got 10 now and two weeks ago I had 9, and my bank account remains unaffected! :)

So here's the process I went through:
Bought 9 Educational from Studica dot com in february, then 10 comes out. I wrote Studica and they said Avid would be contacting me shortly about 10. Three days later, they did, informing me I was now able to download 10 from my Avid account. So I'd contact Sweetwater, and get them to have Avid contact you. Then you may purchase a virtual beer for me for saving you $300...!

So do you think if I buy the version 9 now Avid will allow me a free upgrade to 10?

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

So do you think if I buy the version 9 now Avid will allow me a free upgrade to 10?

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.
Yes they will. Any purchase of pt 9 after October something will be eligible to have a free upgrade to pt 10. You gotta register them though.

Back
Top Bottom