Can the Axe-FX fuzz match boutique fuzzes?

To any of you guys that are accustomed to great fuzzes like Analogman's, etc., are you guys getting the same tones, volume knob interaction, and playing feel, as your fuzz pedals?

The new drive block features cater to this, but how close is it, or is it better?

Thanks!

Tony

I haven't tried to dial in any of my fuzzes since I use them with my Axe.

I've started to create some own creations though. Mostly forbidden and in the real world not so recommended settings and combinations and it worked great. None of those sounds was about nice clean up and the usual things though, it was more like how destroyed can I make a fuzz sound... :)

You can get close to the mxr silicon fuzz w/ its buffer switch on. It doesn't get as close to my das fuzz, roger mayer fuzz, or zvex fuzz factory germaniums. It still can get a cool fuzz that responds to volume very well.

From playing around a bit, I can get a good fuzz sound but can't say it can exactly match a fuzzface type pedal. I've been meaning to get around to actually A/B'ng with my Foxrox Hot Silicon, which is very close to the original silicon fuzzface. As far as the response rolling off the guitar volume, the Axe will clean up in a linear fashion but it's not the same as the real deal IME. The fuzzface to my ears has a distinctly different overdrive/crunch with the guitar volume rolled back. In the sweet spot, in conjunction with a somewhat overdriven tube amp I can go from a "Little Wing" tone to "Foxy Lady" with just the guitar volume. Now, I love how the Axe responds to guitar volume and dynamics, but in this case so far I can't duplicate the FF. For just the all out fuzz tone, the Axe can get close enough for my purposes.

tubetonez said:
From playing around a bit, I can get a good fuzz sound but can't say it can exactly match a fuzzface type pedal. I've been meaning to get around to actually A/B'ng with my Foxrox Hot Silicon, which is very close to the original silicon fuzzface. As far as the response rolling off the guitar volume, the Axe will clean up in a linear fashion but it's not the same as the real deal IME. The fuzzface to my ears has a distinctly different overdrive/crunch with the guitar volume rolled back. In the sweet spot, in conjunction with a somewhat overdriven tube amp I can go from a "Little Wing" tone to "Foxy Lady" with just the guitar volume. Now, I love how the Axe responds to guitar volume and dynamics, but in this case so far I can't duplicate the FF. For just the all out fuzz tone, the Axe can get close enough for my purposes.

Roll offs are definitely not the same.
MXR classic fuzz is the same a jh silicon fuzz face with an added buffer switch that makes it work better after buffered signals.
I was able to get closest with the hard fuzz, germainium drive type, slight adjustment of bias, and moderate slew.

It will go from clean slightly over driven to full fuzz. But yes, it is not the same roll off response. I should say I was comparing mine w/ the buffer switch on with the mxr. It sounds and reacts a bit differently than when it is off.

It'd be great if cliff would continue work on the fuzz emulations, A/B'd against some different real fuzz pedals, to nail them.

Cliff, if you want some to do research with fuzzes, contact me, I have some of the best ones available, as well as originals.

So great that people are willing to contribute to Cliff's research with their amps and pedals. That's another Fractal strength, the a strong and great fanbase =))

I am guessing it's take a while before anything major is done with the sims, though. They do sound great and realistic though, even if the "knobs" don't respond exactly like the originals.

VintageGearGuy said:
To any of you guys that are accustomed to great fuzzes like Analogman's, etc., are you guys getting the same tones, volume knob interaction, and playing feel, as your fuzz pedals?

The new drive block features cater to this, but how close is it, or is it better?

Thanks!

Tony

I didn't spend a lot of time on the drive unit yet, but I come away thinking that Analogman's fuzz is really one of a kind.

Back
Top Bottom