Can the Axe Fx emulate the in the room "thump"?

Definitely hear reverb on that clip. There's also some Room IR's out there which you might enjoy mixing in.

Room sound = Reverb. Dive into the advanced parameters of the reverb block and you can dial in just about any kind of room response you want.

Yes...

This made me think back to the first time I ever tracked in a nice studio. I brought my Marshall 2203 head and 2x12 cab I was using for gigging at the time and also brought a couple of small Fender amps, just in case. The only amp I used was my (mint, all stock) BF Vibro Champ, at the recommendation of the engineer. It was (properly) mic'ed in a vocal booth with a couple of mics (a 57 and something else very large and expensive that I had no clue about back then) and sounded absolutely HUGE coming out of the monitors in the control room. I couldn't believe the sound.. big thumping low end.

Two weeks ago I took my my Axe FX ( in a 4u rack) to a jam session held in a relatively small room... the only place I could set it so it was off the floor was in a nearby chair. Soon after starting to play, the rack unit somehow fell to the floor from the chair. Yes there was a thump in the room - everyone cringed.

Fortunately everything still worked after that. Be careful what you wish for

Two weeks ago I took my my Axe FX ( in a 4u rack) to a jam session held in a relatively small room... the only place I could set it so it was off the floor was in a nearby chair. Soon after starting to play, the rack unit somehow fell to the floor from the chair. Yes there was a thump in the room - everyone cringed.

Fortunately everything still worked after that. Be careful what you wish for
I'm sure it was the drummer's fault...either him or the keyboardist. They take the blame for everything. ;)

I don't actually hear a thump in that clip. There's a reverb on that guitar but it's not the room sound. The way the guitar sounds is very direct. It actually has a lot of drive to it but it's being played with great skill, control and dynamicly. The strat low end is "the strat thing" which means it has more output and therefore it distorts more than the highers strings. I believe this is what you're hearing in the low end.

So much this. There's a little bit of guitar gear and tone in that clip, pretty much zero 'in the room'ness. and a sh*tload of Jimi Hendrix. Getting that sound with the Axe would mostly be about you; in terms of technique and tone dialing skills (which are also an underestimated thing).

Man I'm becoming so jaded on these tone quest threads.

Back
Top Bottom