Can the Axe-Fx Do This?

grafloy

I saw this video of the Kemper using what they call "Pure Tuning" to align harmonics when using a pitch shifter. Is there any way to do this with the Axe-Fx?

Not easily. Pitch after amp isn't the same thing, but it's another solution to some equal-tempered intervals sounding bad through an amp.

To set up what's happening there on the Axe you'd have to create fixed harmonies for each interval needed (like an adjusted minor & major 3rd) and switch between them with a bunch of bypass modifiers using pitch as source.

Am i correct is saying that kemper have designed a solution to a problem not sharesd by axe fx?

Am i correct is saying that kemper have designed a solution to a problem not sharesd by axe fx?

No, the problem (when you want more pure intervals) is equal-tempered intervals like 300, 400 cents as opposed to low whole-number ratios. Try adding a +4 (major 3rd) fixed shift before the amp, listen for a bit then set detune to -13.7 cents and compare.

When I play around with harmonies like that, I always just go whole hog and split the signal right before the amp, then give the harmonized signal it's own amp block.

I don't like it. It's limited and limiting. It's not chord playing, it's cheating physics to get a smoother sound, albeitly sounding like an effect rather than an instrument.

Cool feature. I would use it, albeit more subtly than they are using it in the demo. Equal temperament does annoy me in a number of ways. To borrow a common saying about democracy, equal temperament is the worst method of tuning, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Two different products on two different paths. If I thought I really needed that, I would buy the Kemper.

Interesting sound though ...

If you use 2 amps and route your dry guitar into one and the shifted guitar into another, it will sound better than that.

It's a cool concept but I wouldn't use it. Glad to see them continue to innovate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

A pure interval into one amp is a different sound, like how playing a power chord is different from a root & +7 shift to separate amps. A pure tuning option could still make separate amps or post-amp shifts sound better at times.

Try this: fixed +4 (major 3rd) shift with detune at -13.7 cents, plus your note into one amp. Turn up the drive and you should hear a new note a perfect 4th below yours, plus the major 3rd above. That lower note happens from intermodulation of the 2 original notes. Now set detune to 0 cents & listen. You can also hear this without a pitch shifter, by playing an equal-tempered major 3rd then bending the lower note slightly.

I don't like it. It's limited and limiting. It's not chord playing, it's cheating physics to get a smoother sound, albeitly sounding like an effect rather than an instrument.

To some people, using a magic, digital black box to recreate the sound of a warehouse worth of tube equipment is cheating and yet here we are. They're just tools to be used for whatever creative purpose you desire. Besides, even if it was available, you don't have to use it.

I would absolutely use this type of effect for playing harmonized sections. It creates a very choral type of sound; like a group of singers. I've tried doing the "pitch block before the amp" before and it usually sounds fake to me; just doesn't compare to having two separate players. This "Pure Tuning" thing sounds even closer to what I would want; not perfect, but still pretty cool. I also find myself thinking of other ways to use this type of sound in different areas. As far as I'm concerned, if something inspires you to create new ideas, it's valid.

as little as I'm impressed with the Kemper offerings, I actually like what they did there. especially the new Formant Shift "Whammy" stuff as well.

Hmmm.... that was cool. I'm sure cliff could inplement that and even do it better if he wanted to. Wouldnt mind seeing that in the axe fx.

Back
Top Bottom