Can The Axe FX 3 do this? what can't it do?

Questions

How many pitch shift blocks can The AX FX 3 run on one preset. people on facebook say only two. they say its not like the helix where you can add whatever blocks you want until you run out of DSP. I found this shocking as the Helix does not work for me ether. Not for this anyway? what is the true limitation? how many pitch shift blocks can one preset hold. thanks? how about with the AX FX ultra, can that one do any more? Thanks for the info guys. I know the AX FX is probably the best multi effects processor if there is a best, I just want to know how many pitch shift blocks it can run on one preset.

How many pitch shift blocks can The AX FX 3 run on one preset. people on facebook say only two. they say its not like the helix where you can add whatever blocks you want until you run out of DSP. I found this shocking as the Helix does not work for me ether. Not for this anyway? what is the true limitation? how many pitch shift blocks can one preset hold. thanks? how about with the AX FX ultra, can that one do any more? Thanks for the info guys. I know the AX FX is probably the best multi effects processor if there is a best, I just want to know how many pitch shift blocks it can run on one preset.
Axe Fx Ultra is very old... It was replaced by the Axe Fx II which was replaced by the Axe Fx III ;)

If you scroll down this page there is a table named "Axe-FX III Block Inventory" where you can see the max number of blocks per each effect

https://www.fractalaudio.com/iii/

And that list isn't even up to date. For example, it shows 5 types of Multi Delay; I count 27 on my Axe. There's 17 Choruses, not 14, 16 Flangers, not 8. That's without checking each one.
I sent Piccone a PM about this, but he never responded.

And that list isn't even up to date. For example, it shows 5 types of Multi Delay; I count 27 on my Axe. There's 17 Choruses, not 14, 16 Flangers, not 8. That's without checking each one.
Matt is a busy guy... Also, I'm not sure he maintains the web content.

However, for the prepared purposes of the OP it should serve fine as a list of the quantity of blocks per preset (if not the types).

Also, I think this is a better reference:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf#page87

Why do you want so many pitch blocks? you want to use all at once? or save them, for different uses in one preset.

The quality of the pitch block on axe 3 is many many miles ahead of any other processor, like alot.

You can save upto 8 different types of pitch blocks on axe fx 3 on a single preset using channels(4 channels on each block) but 2 can be used simultaneously.

In addition you have a bunch of more blocks with pitch fx as stated above by some people.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen anyone, ever, mention they have been limited by the Axe's number of pitch blocks, especially with channels/scenes and other effect types with pitch shifting capabilities.

oozm79d.jpg

How many pitch shift blocks can The AX FX 3 run on one preset. people on facebook say only two. they say its not like the helix where you can add whatever blocks you want until you run out of DSP.
My guess is that having a fixed number of each type of a block allows for faster instantiation, resulting in faster program changes and easier management of resources. Just a guess.

there's pitch shift in all the delays and reverbs too now... you could set those to be pitch shifters without any delay/reverb, plus the synth blocks, if you used every available pitch shifting capable block+parameter you could get at a dumb number of pitched voices off of input 1

people on facebook say only two. they say its not like the helix where you can add whatever blocks you want until you run out of DSP.

Part of the reason I got an Axe fx was that I saw a number of people with Helix, etc. Trying to talk up their choice and talk down the Axe Fx. It was pretty obvious that they felt that the Axe was the one to beat.

As for your initial question, you'd have to have a fairly specific reason to use a second pitch shift block, let alone a 3rd. If that's integral to your needs, maybe you ought to buy based on that specific criteria.

there's pitch shift in all the delays and reverbs too now... you could set those to be pitch shifters without any delay/reverb, plus the synth blocks, if you used every available pitch shifting capable block+parameter you could get at a dumb number of pitched voices off of input 1

In the delays too? Hmm.

It can’t make a rock so big it can’t lift it, and if it cuts down a tree in the forest we’ll hear it fall.

Everything else is within the realm of possibility. :)

Last edited:
We don’t have the power or ability to change the main site, but we can ask for, and receive, permission to help maintain the Wiki, including the Effects list.

So there, you can be part of the solution.

@Admin M@ is very busy, but in my experience he sends a personal response and we go from there, or, he sends a boilerplate response because the request went into the queue. If so, it’s possible your MUA, MTA or host, or intermediate host, black-holed the email. It’s basically the same situation as “Missing FM9 waitlist auto reply”.

Last edited:
The axe cant do polyphonic synth, hex pickup input or granular delay (think tape stop effect). That doesnt mean we wont see all those things sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom