Can the Ax8 run a stereo UR cab and the AxeII high definition reverb?

JWDubois

Inspired
I've asked this a couple of times, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

Can the Ax8 run a stereo UR cab and the AxII HD reverb? If it can run the high definition reverb, how much CPU is left for other blocks?

Thanx

I've asked this a couple of times, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

Can the Ax8 run a stereo UR cab and the AxII HD reverb? If it can run the high definition reverb, how much CPU is left for other blocks?

Thanx

Cliff previously posted that the cab block uses very little dsp and is handled by something else. An accelerator? So, assuming the AX8 can run a stereo cab (my current understanding is that it can run one cab block, but that each cab block contains 2 cabs), it shouldn't affect the dsp for effects. Based on that, my guess is that it can run the stereo cab and HD reverb. As for as remaining CPU, check the chart that Chris (AxeFX Tutorials) posted yesterday showing the cpu load reductions of all effects. The HD reverb had the largest reduction in cpu use.

Cliff's posts with links:

Q:How many effects can you run?

Cliff's response: Depends on the effects but typically 8-10 in addition to amp and cab. The amp and cab block use very little of the main DSP. The amp runs in a dedicated DSP and the cab processing runs in an accelerator. Therefore most of the main DSP is available for effects.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ax8-discussion/105021-ax-8-price.html#post1256247

Q. What's an accelerator?

Cliff's response: A DSP unit dedicated to performing a defined task. In this case it performs convolution. The difference is that a "DSP" as we commonly call them is really just a microcomputer optimized for Digital Signal Processing. The term DSP most correctly refers to any device that does signal processing using numerical computations. That device can be an FPGA, ASIC or fixed hardware unit. In the AX-8 it is a convolution processor.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ax8-discussion/105021-ax-8-price-2.html#post1256262

Previously I ran with two cab blocks on my presets, sending the amp signal through both. Will the sound be the same if I choose Stereo UltraRes and select the same two cabs, to just be inside one block? Should I pan L and R both to centre?

Running Amp, UR Stereo Cab, Compressor, Wah, Drive, Volume Block, Chorus, Delay, and High Quality Reverb. CPU is at 82%.

Running Amp, UR Stereo Cab, Compressor, Wah, Drive, Volume Block, Chorus, Delay, and High Quality Reverb. CPU is at 82%.

Previously I ran with two cab blocks on my presets, sending the amp signal through both. Will the sound be the same if I choose Stereo UltraRes and select the same two cabs, to just be inside one block? Should I pan L and R both to centre?

I don't have any experience with the Axe Fx and running 2 cab blocks so I can't say if it would sound the same as using stereo cabs in the AX8. I've only run mono with the AX8 to this point so I have both centered.

Back
Top Bottom