Can someone whom is software savvy please explain?

t0aj15

Power User
My protection software repeatedly comes up with this:

Latest threat removed from your devices:

Filename: Axe-Edit-III-Win-v1p03p00.tmp
Malware type: W32.Adware.Gen

It thinks that your Axe-Edit download (I'm assuming that is what the file is) is not trustworthy.

Try updating your protection software to the latest version.

If that file is not a download of Axe-Edit then you may have an infected PC and whatever infected it is trying to hide with that file.

There's really no reason to use third-party security software on Windows anymore. Windows Defender is as good or better than anything else out there, and it's free.

There's really no reason to use third-party security software on Windows anymore. Windows Defender is as good or better than anything else out there, and it's free.
None of the tools are perfect.

Back when my kids used to share my computer (they always managed to get it in trouble) I always ran TWO anti-malware programs. Both would catch things the other had missed ;)

My protection software repeatedly comes up with this:

Latest threat removed from your devices:

Filename: Axe-Edit-III-Win-v1p03p00.tmp
Malware type: W32.Adware.Gen
W32.Adware.Gen is the name of a virus.

Your protection software has detected the signature of this virus in the Axe FX “temporary” file. This does not mean that this file is infected, you could be experiencing a false positive. For that matter, considering that a tmp file is not executable, it is unlikely that this file would be infected by a virus.

Open a ticket with the manufacturer of your protection software and get them to assist you in determining if you have a false positive. If it is a false positive, they will be able to tell you how to flag this file so the protection software stops reporting a threat in that file.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom