Can someone replicate this dripping wet clean tone?

Just tried your patch today, Simeon, and I gotta say that I really like it. It's not 100% spot on, but definitely in the ballpark. Had fun playing and tweaking your preset, so that's why I recorded a couple of soundsamples.

Here's a clip with your stock "Dripping Wet" preset:

And here's my rendition:

I left the effect constellation basically the same and tweaked the amp, cab, compressor and quad chorus blocks (copied Enzo Sutera's settings and tweaked the mix, rate, time and feedback parameters, left everything else untouched).

Both clips were recorded using a superstrat (mahogany body, maple neck) with two low output humbuckers into Axe FX II and then via USB into Logic 9.

During the clips I switched pickups as follows:

Split Neck HB -- Split Neck HB + Split Bridge HB -- Split Bridge HB -- Neck HB -- Neck HB + Bridge HB -- Bridge HB

Here's my preset:

Landau Refrigerator

So far, I think that Swedish Chef is the closest to the elusive tone, if he uses his Tyler guitar :) Still, each attempt in this thread lacks "something" in the compressor and tri-chorus area. The video tone is still much more refined and clear, but at least we're getting closer and closer :)

As always, any recommendations on tone improvement are appreciated!

Last edited:
i think we must also take into account that the youtube video has masses of compression on it...more than on the original sound, i think...

just had a quick scan through italo's page and it seems the magic ingredient of the trichorus may have something to do with variable waveforms. it's possible to triangle wave into a sine wave using damping, so maybe.....

i'll have a closer look tomorrow and see if i can pull out enough information to improve my patch. i certainly need to brighten my tone a bit and increase the compression, but i'm happy with the delays and i'll see if i can get the trichorus any closer

i think we must also take into account that the youtube video has masses of compression on it...more than on the original sound, i think...

just had a quick scan through italo's page and it seems the magic ingredient of the trichorus may have something to do with variable waveforms. it's possible to triangle wave into a sine wave using damping, so maybe.....

i'll have a closer look tomorrow and see if i can pull out enough information to improve my patch. i certainly need to brighten my tone a bit and increase the compression, but i'm happy with the delays and i'll see if i can get the trichorus any closer

The quad chorus does what Italio is describing (that is what the morph parameters are for)

Wasn't he a member of the forum? I wonder if he still checks in...it would be cool to see what he could do with an axe2. I also wish that the folks at Strymon had one and could program in some of their algos! I am dreamin, but why the heck not!! :)

Hey have you tried that patch with a detune effect?

Yes, absolutely! It's in there. IMHO, one needs to think outside the box with this. I was really struggling with the Quad Chorus myself. Hint - it's not fairly good with this on its own. Landau's tone is composited of many voices, all with different delay times. You can hear this on the album. The pick attack ripples... You need a feedback effect on the tone coming out of your tri-chorus emulation block(s). A pitch block with a detune of about -14 cent is also critical as it adds one more voice to a voice which is already two - making it a quad voice. For the chorus settings, I have found them to be more on the slow/shallow side but keeping the voices really wet. You need a pitch block after the TSC.

I will share the patch I'm working on when it's completely done - as I have done in the past. In the meantime I think it'd be really interesting to see different takes on the same tones. If I post a patch, I'm probably steering someone's train of thought in a certain direction. I'm absolutely sure my patch is not the best solution out there and I just want to see what some of you guys' takes are on this before I do.

Last edited:
Much Closer. I think your's is closer to the Landau sound than to the youtube clip (which is what you are going for). Still needs a hair more shimmer to it.

How about this?

Mono album track in the middle. Sloppy playing, delay is out of sync (throwing me off), little out of tune...

You're right about the hair. Maybe a little more gain.

Back
Top Bottom