Can someone help with dotted eighth notes?

Ping pong for Streets is just flat out wrong. At least if you're trying to sound anything like U2's versions of it. Since Edge uses mono delays with mod (2290s). That's all you really need as far as delay. All of my patches are mono. Too many PA systems in various venues collapse stereo to mono. If it's collapsed, then quite often the delays are GONE! Stereo sounds cool. But, it just is inconsistent for me live.

I have over 80 patches specific to playing various U2 songs. Not one of them actually uses a tap tempo live. The band has to play to the tempo of the guitar rig ... not the other way around. I do have a few patches with tap tempo but they are used mostly for when I'm "jamming" with other players on songs that don't actually have a patch made for.

My streets patch is 354ms by the way. If I recall Pride is 416ms. Electric Co is 280ms. All in mono with a good dose of modulation till it sounds right.

I know this thread is old, but just in case you're in an environment where you don't have a delay that automatically does dotted 1/8th, there's an easy way to remember how to tap it manually. This video from Antoine Michaud has a great explanation of the "Carol of the Bells trick" and a few other ways:

I know this thread is old, but just in case you're in an environment where you don't have a delay that automatically does dotted 1/8th, there's an easy way to remember how to tap it manually. This video from Antoine Michaud has a great explanation of the "Carol of the Bells trick" and a few other ways:

I actually “manually” tap my delays like this sometimes. My lead delay is a 1/4 tempo, but sometimes I don’t want to switch to the actual dot 8th channel or whatever (mix is different, tone is different).

I thought I was the only one!

This video from Antoine Michaud has a great explanation of the "Carol of the Bells trick" and a few other ways:

Those alternate tap methods seem to rely on tempo averaging, which might not work the same way on other devices. The 4-4-8-8-4 example also sounds like it ends up quite a bit faster (as dotted 8ths) than the tapped tempo.

Counting quarter triplets and matching by adjusting the time knob isn't quite right either. Quarter triplets are shorter than dotted 8ths. (If you do those steps accurately and sync to sound like the delay is dotted 8ths, your tempo will be 12.5% too fast.)

I'd recommend working on tapping actual dotted 8ths to a quarter note pulse (or identifying when a manual time adjustment creates the same rhythm) for more accurate results that don't depend on a certain averaging system.

Those alternate tap methods seem to rely on tempo averaging, which might not work the same way on other devices. The 4-4-8-8-4 example also sounds like it ends up quite a bit faster (as dotted 8ths) than the tapped tempo.

Counting quarter triplets and matching by adjusting the time knob isn't quite right either. Quarter triplets are shorter than dotted 8ths. (If you do those steps accurately and sync to sound like the delay is dotted 8ths, your tempo will be 12.5% too fast.)

I'd recommend working on tapping actual dotted 8ths to a quarter note pulse (or identifying when a manual time adjustment creates the same rhythm) for more accurate results that don't depend on a certain averaging system.

Ahh good to know, thanks for clarifying.

I just tap on 1 and then the ah of 1

ONE e & AH

and I have a dotted 1/8 delay with my tap set to 1/4 note.

I just tap on 1 and then the ah of 1

ONE e & AH

and I have a dotted 1/8 delay with my tap set to 1/4 note.
Why not this? It's how the Axe and other devices with a similar feature are designed to work. Simple, and matches the mental model of this idea.

Why not this? It's how the Axe and other devices with a similar feature are designed to work. Simple, and matches the mental model of this idea.
It’s hard to wrap your head around this for some people and that’s ok. I do have a dedicated dotted 1/8 note delay on a channel but in a pinch I can just set one real quick when set to 1/4 note too.

for U2 sounds, detail explanation on FX, ...
I just can highly recommand the great tuturials from Michael

http://www.u2guitartutorials.com/

you will find an answer to ALL of your question there.
Nothing less to say.
The rest is only linked to your own talent as a player.

As others have mentioned... a footswitch assigned to the tempo can help in live performances. Delay values are obviously assignable. Drummers (many) are guilty of varying tempo.. after all, they’re not a Rolex watch. Best case for that live is the drummer can wear headphones and stay to a click track.

Joke: How do you know the drummer is knocking on your door?

Answer: The knock speeds up and slows down

Back
Top Bottom