Can someone help a Fractal newbie?

Metal Mike

Hello all, new to fractal and I need some help with tones.
I got my FM3 in the beginning of June. It is updated to the latest firmware. I am running it out of 2 Headrush FRFR 112's in stereo thru XLR's. My axes are a Charvel So-Cal and a Jackson Dinky Pro Mod. Both very good guitars with passive JB's.
Input pad set to 0, using the +4 setting not -10.
My issue is that my tones sound very brittle and fizzy. Cleans sound good but any med to high gain tones have this issue. I am not new to modelers so I know its not going to sound like an amp in the room but I can't believe that my Boss GT100 has a better tone than the FM3.
It doesn't matter if its a factory preset or a custom made preset same issue. Leon Todd's presets sound so good but I install them they don't even sound close. Same with Austin Buddys presets. Am I missing something?
If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Last edited:
You may need to use the FM3 to make some recordings that can be posted here along with the preset you are using. The factory presets are pretty stellar, but I have no idea how they translate to your guitars.

I'd reset the system parameters just to make sure any other settings aren't at play here. Setup->Utilities->Reset System Parameters.

What F.W., preset or amp and cab are you using? I found at the volume I played at the stock presets were tad dark. Once you get to gig volume they sounded better but had to cut the bass.

@Sixstring, I am running f.w. 1.05 (whichever the latest is). Trying to cop that 80's hair metal tone. I have tried the Jcm800 mod, FAS big hair and HBE c45 amps and tried every greenback and v30 along with Leon Todds Brit 412 with v30 mix. Volume is at gig level. It seems to me that its in the cab block I need to tweak. My GT100 sounds very rich, 3d and in your face where the FM3 does not. I do have a cut at 80hz for the low end, and a tube screamer out front with the gain at 0 and level at 10 to goose the front end.

might help if you could post a preset here, so others could have a look. export one using the editor.

have you considered that it might be your speakers? if you have a recording setup with some studio monitors, you could record a bit and listen back to compare

I will post the preset once I get home from work. I am using the headrush frfr's which have worked like a champ with my gt100 and digitech 1101, so speakers aren't the issue. Unfortunately I do not have any recording software set up.

I got my FM3 in the beginning of June. It is updated to the latest firmware. I am running it out of 2 Headrush FRFR 112's in stereo thru XLR's. My axes are a Charvel So-Cal and a Jackson Dinky Pro Mod. Both very good guitars with passive JB's.
My issue is that my tones sound very brittle and fizzy. Cleans sound good but any med to high gain tones have this issue. I am not new to modelers so I know its not going to sound like an amp in the room but I can't believe that my Boss GT100 has a better tone than the FM3.
It doesn't matter if its a factory preset or a custom made preset same issue. Leon Todd's presets sound so good but I install them they don't even sound close. Same with Austin Buddys presets. Am I missing something?
Are you sure you're not clipping somewhere? The So-Cal is a hot guitar and you have the input pad turned off. This is likely to clip the input. Also +4 might be too hot for those Headrush monitors. They're consumer grade and often times consumer grade stuff can't handle +4.

Make sure your wah block isn’t autoengaging. Common problem. Just remove the wah block from the grid to test (assuming you have one on the grid)

yeah the SoCal does have a hotter pick up, I'm not hitting any red on the fm3 input leds and no red clipping on the out 1 or out 2 status leds. I tried the -10 before but I will revisit that and see if it helps. Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe I may have found the issue.
I have been running my gt100 into input2 and out output 2 like an fx loop. 3 reasons, 1 I can use extra effects if fm3 cpu is running too high and 2 some of my gt100 presets I still use. 3, I use the gt100 as a midi switcher.
If I bypass input 2 everything sounds great. If it isn't bypassed only the presets on the gt100 sound good. I have tried output 2 copy, none, copy output 1, copy input 1 and no difference. When its bypassed it brings all the low end back in and the highs aren't so harsh. Whats up with that? Even if I have the in2/out2 engaged and nothing running on the gt100 it cuts the bass, increases the highs and cuts the distortion by about 50% with nothing clipping. The -10 / +4 setting definitely sounds better on the +4. More amp in the roomish.

Last edited:
I believe I may have found the issue.
I have been running my gt100 into input2 and out output 2 like an fx loop. 3 reasons, 1 I can use extra effects if fm3 cpu is running too high and 2 some of my gt100 presets I still use. 3, I use the gt100 as a midi switcher.
If I bypass input 2 everything sounds great. If it isn't bypassed only the presets on the gt100 sound good. I have tried output 2 copy, none, copy output 1, copy input 1 and no difference. When its bypassed it brings all the low end back in and the highs aren't so harsh. Whats up with that? Even if I have the in2/out2 engaged and nothing running on the gt100 it cuts the bass, increases the highs and cuts the distortion by about 50% with nothing clipping. The -10 / +4 setting definitely sounds better on the +4. More amp in the roomish.
Need to see your preset to figure out what's wrong with the routing.

I used to use those same headrush FRFRs and your FM3 should be sending -10 not +4.

@BornIntoAttitude , that's odd because on headrushes website they recommend that those frfr's optimal setting should be +18dBu. -10 has no feel to it and sounds dull even when cranked. +4 sounds like the tone surrounds you, full and rich. The headrush pedal boards setting for line level is at +18. I'm not saying they are right but that is what sounds best to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom