Can Someone Give Me a LowDown of all their Favorite High Gain Models Added in the Last year?

My favorites right now, these are probably in order

1. 5153 50W Blue (5150)...usually the 6160 block is my go to, but right now I'm loving the 50W blue
2. Das Metall (Diezel VH4)
3. USA Lead (Mesa Mark IV)

I go on and off with the HBE, as well as various other models of the 5150 and the Dizzy.

5153 50W blue is my go to for anything needing the Peavey flavor, it just work better for my ears. It has a nice crispness and is easy to keep from getting too woofy.

Loving this thread, now have a juicy 5153 50W to play with and the recto has been re-ignited for me.
Don't know why but I've never been able to get a good sound out of the Severe... anyone any tips for this? e.g. drive pedal, settings, cab?

I am going to have to suggest either the 5153 50W Blue channel or the IIC++. The HBE is a close third, but I have a love/hate relationship with it. The 5153 Blue has a note separation and clarity that is second to none for higher gain, it might not have as much gain as the red channel, but this works in its favor, it tends to sit better in my mixes. I like a boost in front with the gain on the amp block between 3-4. The IIC++ is tougher to dial in, but if you use Cliffs high gain settings for the original IIC+ it gets you in the ballpark.

Don't know why but I've never been able to get a good sound out of the Severe... anyone any tips for this? e.g. drive pedal, settings, cab?
My Angle Severe 2 settings under Q7b2:
Input drive: 8
Overdrive: 4.5
Bass: 4.75
Mid: 5
Treble: 5.25
Bright: 0 if playing loud, up to 1db if playing quiet with headphones
Presence: 4.3
Depth: 5
Master Volume: 4
Power Tube Type: KT88
Variac: 86%
Preamp CF CompType: Ideal
Preamp CF Compress: 18%

My favorite cabs are from OwnHammer's Heavy Hitters Collection. I particularly like OH 412 MAR V30+EVH JS and OH 412 MAR V30+EVH OH1-01. Haven't touched the factory cabs in ages, so I don't know what might be suitable.

Reactions: mak
I am more into hair band type metal than that low down screaming type stuff (no offense), but I like a lot of gain, and think the Carolann is one of the best sounding amps in this box.

I say it's time for a high GAIN shootooooooooooooout!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone with recording skills (not me) pick one good 4x12 ir and start cranking those gain dials and throw them up here?!!!!

My Angle Severe 2 settings under Q7b2:
Input drive: 8
Overdrive: 4.5
Bass: 4.75
Mid: 5
Treble: 5.25
Bright: 0 if playing loud, up to 1db if playing quiet with headphones
Presence: 4.3
Depth: 5
Master Volume: 4
Power Tube Type: KT88
Variac: 86%
Preamp CF CompType: Ideal
Preamp CF Compress: 18%

My favorite cabs are from OwnHammer's Heavy Hitters Collection. I particularly like OH 412 MAR V30+EVH JS and OH 412 MAR V30+EVH OH1-01. Haven't touched the factory cabs in ages, so I don't know what might be suitable.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! Really helped me. A few tweaks and have a great sound from it now!

I can't believe how much the recto has changed in the new FW release.... I just reset the amp and it sounds horrendous. Turning the character up seems to have helped a bit, but it still doesn't sound as good as beta 2. Anyone else had this?

Loving this thread, now have a juicy 5153 50W to play with and the recto has been re-ignited for me.

Hah, I'm the opposite, never been able to get a decent sound from any of the Recto's but then again I prefer tight sounding distortion and the Recto's seem to be the opposite of that, flubby and loose. The Angle Severe is super easy to dial in a tight crushing high gain tone.

Hah, I'm the opposite, never been able to get a decent sound from any of the Recto's but then again I prefer tight sounding distortion and the Recto's seem to be the opposite of that, flubby and loose. The Angle Severe is super easy to dial in a tight crushing high gain tone.

Well you've just described my Recto now whereas on beta 2 it was real tight with a nice fizz. Such a difference, now flubby and horrible. My Das Metal patch went horrible as well!

Getting there with the Severe now though, been tweaking today!

The Recto1 can sound pretty damn tight with a boost pedal. I like using the T808 Mod, generally with the drive at 0 to 1, tone to taste (usually like 7 or so) and level fairly high, like 7 to 10. Then with the amp gain no higher than about 6, and the master pretty low, generally 2 or lower.

Since G3 (so probably over a year now?) I don't think the 'cut' switch is even necessary anymore.

The Recto1 can sound pretty damn tight with a boost pedal. I like using the T808 Mod, generally with the drive at 0 to 1, tone to taste (usually like 7 or so) and level fairly high, like 7 to 10. Then with the amp gain no higher than about 6, and the master pretty low, generally 2 or lower.

Since G3 (so probably over a year now?) I don't think the 'cut' switch is even necessary anymore.

Have you tried with the new FW, after re-selecting the amp is it still tight sounding?

Have you tried with the new FW, after re-selecting the amp is it still tight sounding?

I admit I haven't tried the new firmware (I think I'm still on quantum 3) though after re-reading the comments above about how the Rectos sound loose now, I'm not in a hurry to load it up.

we always hear about how each update makes things more accurate, but if the rectos got way more accurate as of G3 (when they got tighter and clearer) but now with this update they're no longer as tight and clear, I wonder which is more accurate

These settings are awesome with 7.0 thanx.

Back
Top Bottom