Can someone check out this patch for me? Smallbox 50

Hi all, I just got this axefx II and I'm not using any FRFR monitors, just a regular 2x12 cab powered by an Atomic 50/50 power amp. I'm curious of my current patch and what it would sound like through through the FOH going direct. Here is how I'm using it...and mind you I'm still very much a novice so any help would be appreciated

scene 1 - crunch, main rhythm
scene 2 - rotary sound I use for a couple songs
scene 3 - clean channel
scene 4 - boosted lead tone
scene 5 - lead tone / not boosted

It sounds pretty good trough my Splawn cab with 75w cream backs but I'd rather go direct with OUT1 and not mic my cab

Thanks!

Attachments

• Smallbox 50.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 18
Hello,

Here is my observation...
1. For being a novice, the routing is fairly complex.
2. The overall tone I find bass heavy. (I'm using a strat with a humbucker in the bridge position through Adam studio monitors)
3. Volume levels between scenes may need tweaking. The boosted lead seems quite a bit louder.
Hope that helps.

Thank
Hello,

Here is my observation...
1. For being a novice, the routing is fairly complex.
2. The overall tone I find bass heavy. (I'm using a strat with a humbucker in the bridge position through Adam studio monitors)
3. Volume levels between scenes may need tweaking. The boosted lead seems quite a bit louder.
Hope that helps.
Thank you! I got it in a trade from a friend and kinda stole the routing. It was even more bass heavy initially so I actually cut the bass with the ‘bass cut’. Think maybe it’s the cab choice that sounds bass heavy? I can’t tell at home without any monitors. Sounds good and crispy through my cabinet though. I used a 3db boost with a filter block for the solo which doesn’t sound too abnoxios at home. I also think I may have the input drive too high?.. but when I lower it it seems to lack sustain.
Thanks again for taking the time and checking it out. Seems like all the Friedman amps are bass heavy? Any other tips or advice would be appreciated

My observations/edits...
  1. Removed unnecessary/leftover Scene Controller 1 attachment (amp 1 'boost' switch) and Scene Controller 1&2 settings?
  2. Removed '0.035' ms delay on the right Cab IR making the Cab block very 'dark'.
  3. Set both 'Proximity' parameters to '0.00' since the Cab 'Mic' left and right were set to 'None'.
  4. Panned the IRs 50% left and right for a little more detail in the stereo field (if running stereo to FOH?) (100% is even better?)
  5. Added a small mid boost and some Low and High cuts in the 'Filter'/boost block.
  6. Bypassed the 'Filter' block and increased the 'Level' of Amp 2 'X' (scene 3).
  7. Cut some low end out of Amp 2 'Y' (scene 2).
  8. Raised the 'Low Cut' in the Reverb block to '150' Hz to clean up the Reverb.
  9. Other small misc. parameter adjustments?
Moke

Attachments

• SB 50 (MCP).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 32
My observations/edits...
  1. Removed unnecessary/leftover Scene Controller 1 attachment (amp 1 'boost' switch) and Scene Controller 1&2 settings?
  2. Removed '0.035' ms delay on the right Cab IR making the Cab block very 'dark'.
  3. Set both 'Proximity' parameters to '0.00' since the Cab 'Mic' left and right were set to 'None'.
  4. Panned the IRs 50% left and right for a little more detail in the stereo field (if running stereo to FOH?) (100% is even better?)
  5. Added a small mid boost and some Low and High cuts in the 'Filter'/boost block.
  6. Bypassed the 'Filter' block and increased the 'Level' of Amp 2 'X' (scene 3).
  7. Cut some low end out of Amp 2 'Y' (scene 2).
  8. Raised the 'Low Cut' in the Reverb block to '150' Hz to clean up the Reverb.
  9. Other small misc. parameter adjustments?
Moke
Omg I just saw this but am going to bed! Thank you so much man! Can’t wait to check this out!! Thank you!! I’ll report back tomorrow

Omg I just saw this but am going to bed! Thank you so much man! Can’t wait to check this out!! Thank you!! I’ll report back tomorrow
Cool.. Not sure what might have been intentional, and what was leftover from the original preset? BTW... No offence intended on your settings, just went with my gut. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cool.. Not sure what might have been intentional, and what was leftover from the original preset? BTW... No offence intended on your settings, just went with my gut. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Dang dude, I’m blown away! I tinkered and tweaked daily trying to bring that thing to life and you nailed it! I wish I had a fraction of your knowledge. It sounds really really good to me. The only thing that comes to mind would be that scene 4 (solo) sounds a tad thin. But in a band setting I’m sure that probably will cut nicely so I trust your judgment lol.
Thanks again brother!

Dang dude, I’m blown away! I tinkered and tweaked daily trying to bring that thing to life and you nailed it! I wish I had a fraction of your knowledge. It sounds really really good to me. The only thing that comes to mind would be that scene 4 (solo) sounds a tad thin. But in a band setting I’m sure that probably will cut nicely so I trust your judgment lol.
Thanks again brother!
Very cool..:cool:

I cut some lows in the 'Filter' (boost) block to not muddy up the mix during solos. But try lowering that back down and see how it goes at gig volume.

Also, I forgot to mention that I changed some parameters in the 'Input/Gate' block. The 'Threshold' parameter was too aggressive and stomping on the dynamics and sustain too much.

Very cool..:cool:

I cut some lows in the 'Filter' (boost) block to not muddy up the mix during solos. But try lowering that back down and see how it goes at gig volume.

Also, I forgot to mention that I changed some parameters in the 'Input/Gate' block. The 'Threshold' parameter was too aggressive and stomping on the dynamics and sustain too much.
Man thanks again! I’m stoked for our next show in a couple weeks. I only used it for two shows so far and I was a bit underwhelmed. I’ll go into the upcoming shows with a lot more confidence thanks to you!

Man thanks again! I’m stoked for our next show in a couple weeks. I only used it for two shows so far and I was a bit underwhelmed. I’ll go into the upcoming shows with a lot more confidence thanks to you!
I also forgot to mention that I changed all Delay and Reverb bypass types to 'Mute Fx In' instead of the default 'Thru', so that the Reverb and Delay tails will not get cut off when they are turned 'off' (bypassed).

Hey Moke, this thread has nothing to do with me but felt compelled to say you're willingness to help others, including me in the past, never ceases to amaze me.
Hopefully the beneficiaries of your time and knowledge can find the donate button on your web page.

https://www.custompresets.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Ps. It's near the bottom of the page....

I also forgot to mention that I changed all Delay and Reverb bypass types to 'Mute Fx In' instead of the default 'Thru', so that the Reverb and Delay tails will not get cut off when they are turned 'off' (bypassed).

Hey Moke, this thread has nothing to do with me but felt compelled to say you're willingness to help others, including me in the past, never ceases to amaze me.
Hopefully the beneficiaries of your time and knowledge can find the donate button on your web page.

https://www.custompresets.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Ps. It's near the bottom of the page....
I appreciate it @Whistler:cool:. Even though I technically do this as most of my living, I just hate to see someone needlessly struggling. I can see the frustration in their posts and feel compelled to help, to strings attached.

My insanely curious nature drives me to want to solve these little mysteries.

That's really what this forum is all about. For the most part... Some are here to get help, and some are here to give help. I have loved watching the evolution of many forum members from one category to the other.

Back
Top Bottom