Can somebody guide me with 4 cable method?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Going to utilize my EVH 100 watt head with Voodoo control switcher to change patches on Axe Fx II and head via my MFC101. Never done this and wanting some tips. Any links would be kindly received. Trying to simplify things as I love all 3 channels on that head and the clean channel with Axe Fx II drive pedals should give me a versatile set of wide ranging tones. Thanks!

• How to run with effects loop utilized in Axe Fx for pre/post setup, in regards to in/outs?
  • Anyone know where I can get a cheap cable to run 5 din from Voodoo to 7 din of EVH head?

I'm asking so we have a starting point:

Have you tried the 4cm suggestions from the manual yet?

After FINALLY getting 4CM setup with my rig, I cannot speak highly enough of it. It is awesome.

You'll need 2 humbuster cables to reduce ground-loop issues or hum - these are an absolute must. I tried using normal guitar cables (going from Axe-to-guitar amp) and the hum was horrible. I got 2 humbusters made up for me and now it's almost dead silent.

Have you got an Axe 2? If so, I'll send you a couple patches that are setup for 4CM method so that it gives you something to work with. It's hard to find a detailed vid on youtube that actually outlines what-plugs-into-where, what your order of effects (on Axe Edit) should be as well as a couple other points. Being an EVH fan, a lot of my patches have DETUNE, CHORUS, DELAY, VERB, PHASER and of course FLANGER setup to suit EVH's style and sound.... sort of! Will send them through over the next day or two.

In the mean time.. good luck, it's awesome!!

I'm asking so we have a starting point:

Have you tried the 4cm suggestions from the manual yet?

I have not. Sadly I never use the manual, because you bastards are so on point....makes me lazy. I'll look though. Any tips that you all have learned that may save me some time? Thanks!

After FINALLY getting 4CM setup with my rig, I cannot speak highly enough of it. It is awesome.

You'll need 2 humbuster cables to reduce ground-loop issues or hum - these are an absolute must. I tried using normal guitar cables (going from Axe-to-guitar amp) and the hum was horrible. I got 2 humbusters made up for me and now it's almost dead silent.

Have you got an Axe 2? If so, I'll send you a couple patches that are setup for 4CM method so that it gives you something to work with. It's hard to find a detailed vid on youtube that actually outlines what-plugs-into-where, what your order of effects (on Axe Edit) should be as well as a couple other points. Being an EVH fan, a lot of my patches have DETUNE, CHORUS, DELAY, VERB, PHASER and of course FLANGER setup to suit EVH's style and sound.... sort of! Will send them through over the next day or two.

In the mean time.. good luck, it's awesome!!

Thanks and would greatly appreciate those patches!

I have not. Sadly I never use the manual, because you bastards are so on point....makes me lazy. I'll look though. Any tips that you all have learned that may save me some time? Thanks!
the connections are pretty straight-forward. the challenge is just balancing Out 1 and 2 levels, typically. be sure to put the FX Loop block like the manual suggests.

you can use regular cables to set it up and try it. some have no issue with regular cables. others need to use Humbusters, as Georgy suggested. i'd try with normal cables first, it won't hurt anything.

I used 4CM for a while, but for now i've gone FRFR.

I plugged GUITAR direct to the FRONT INPUT on the AXE FX.
I plugged from my AXE FX OUT 2 LEFT to the FRONT GUITAR IN of my EVH 5150 50w.
I plugged EVH FX SEND to the AXE FX IN2 LEFT.
I plugged AXE FX OUT 1 LEFT on the back to the EVH FX Return.

I turned up my IN 1 Level to around 30% as a starting point, and IN2 Level to 50%. This is in the AXE FX I/O menu. Tweak to taste obviously.
OUT 2 on the front of the axe needs to be up ALL THE WAY.
OUT 1 becomes your master Send to your amp head for stage volume.

Add an FXL block to an empty Preset.

NOTE: the FXL loop takes the place of an amp block in the AXE FX. Look at it like an AMP Block.
So you would drives BEFORE this Block and Chorus, Delay, verb etc AFTER, for the most part.

The preamp gain and channel master will affect everything after the FXL block..
But this should get you started. Have nothing but an FXL block.
Make sure in Global menu that Out1 and Out 2 modes are the same and are not boosted, in phase etc.
Good idea to check that your Outs 1 and 2 have flat E EQ and the EQ level is not boosted.

NOTE: I had to make sure my EVH Effects loop was actually on (it is by default if a lead is plugged in before you turn it on). Sometimes it would be on, sometimes off, but obviously it needs to be on for 4CM to work.
I would have a gate AFTER the FXL block if you are a gainiac like me.

I set up IAC switches to change my amp channels, was easy as the 50watt EVH has midi learn.
I even had certain presets change to the right channel for me.. using PRESET setup mode on the MFC.

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with this. I'm new to Axe Fx and I'm trying to plug my Axe Fx 2 into the FX loop of my EVH 5150 III for just post effects. I've followed everything on page 3.4.8 btw

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with this. I'm new to Axe Fx and I'm trying to plug my Axe Fx 2 into the FX loop of my EVH 5150 III for just post effects. I've followed everything on page 3.4.8 btw
what's the issue? do you have the Output knobs turned up on the front panel?

Yes they're turned up. I have out 1L going to EVH fx return and in1-L going to EVH effects send. Input 1 left select is rear and there are no amp or can blocks. It sounds like I have the fx loop plugged in backwards on the amp, nothing coming out of the amp but a muffled signal.

Back
Top Bottom