Can not use Axe Fx With Logic

RinaiAc

I am trying to record my Axe 2 directly into Logic, using a blank audio track with nothing on it. I have Axe connected via USB and set as the input source, with the project set to 48khz sample rate, and output set to headphones from my mac.

The constant problem i am having is that no matter which way i go about getting the signal from Axe to logic (USB, 1/4" into Focusrite, XLR into Focusrite) i always end up with a horrible robotic electronic distorted noise similar to an 8-bit crusher ( best way i can describe it ) and no actual guitar sound. When i play the guitar it is just that electronic noise coming through and nothing else. I have tried different cables, different guitars, different power plugs in my home, but everything just ends up giving me the same result, which has essentially made recording with Axe 2 impossible.

However, when i plug my headphones into the front of Axe 2 i get the guitar sound with whatever patch i am using, but to get that sound into Logic just isn't happening at all. Something somewhere is causing this noise to be the only signal coming from Axe 2 into Logic, and i just can not fix it at all. I downloaded the drivers, latest firmware, still no use.

I am BEGGING now for someone to please help me sort this out as i can not use Axe 2 for any recording which is likely going to lead down the road of selling it, which i would rather not since i love the sounds i get out of it. Also worth noting that the sound is completely fine when plugging Axe into a monitor/PA speaker via 1/4" cable. Google has been very little help on this matter too.

All i want to do is be able to record the sound of Axe 2 into Logic, either via USB or some other connection,surely it can not be this complicated.

what version of mac os? any other details you can provide will help.

also i just noticed you have the Axe as the input and a different device (mac headphones) for output.

what happens if you set input and output to Axe, and use the Axe headphone jack to monitor both?

what version of mac os? any other details you can provide will help.

also i just noticed you have the Axe as the input and a different device (mac headphones) for output.

what happens if you set input and output to Axe, and use the Axe headphone jack to monitor both?
Mac Os Big Sur 11.6, on a 2016 Model iMac.

When using Axe as both input and output i cant hear anything from logic or my mac coming through at all, that's with headphones connected to the phones jack on the front of Axe

When using Axe as both input and output i cant hear anything from logic or my mac coming through at all, that's with headphones connected to the phones jack on the front of Axe
hmm that should definitely work. mac audio should come out of the computer when set as the device with the drivers installed.
whatever is preventing that output might be the same problem with the input.

may be worth reinstalling the USB audio plugin again?

i'll bust out my Axe 2 and give it a shot. i'm on the most recent OS's so if it works there it should work for Big Sur.

Been a while since I used the Axe Fx II but I believe it has the global USB Return Level setting?

If this is not turned up you won't hear anything from the computer coming back to the Axe Fx.

Make sure the USB return level in the I/O settings is turned up.

Been a while since I used the Axe Fx II but I believe it has the global USB Return Level setting?

If this is not turned up you won't hear anything from the computer coming back to the Axe Fx.
my only options on that are 0.00 or to turn it down into the negatives

no signal at all
You're saying when you play back audio you didn't record, you get silence. Is that true even when using configuration #1 and playing audio from Logic? And when you play back audio you did record, you get noise?

You're saying when you play back audio you didn't record, you get silence. Is that true even when using configuration #1 and playing audio from Logic? And when you play back audio you did record, you get noise?
Tried spotify and youtube, didn't hear any audio from both.

Played audio from logic and again heard nothing.

Swapped output to system setting ( headphones out of mac) at which point audio could be heard.

When playing back an attempted recorded guitar track it is just the same electronic noise, which is my main problem as i need to be able to record my guitar into logic using the Axe and actually hear the sound of the guitar / patch i have made, and not this 8-bit garbage which is terrorising my recording efforts, i would love to be able to provide an example of this noise somehow.

With an odd problem like that, I can only offer the obvious advice: reboot everything and try again. If that doesn't help, you might have a hardware failure.

Note that the problem sounds like it might be in your Mac or your usb cable, not the Axe-FX, since you're also having similar problems with your Focusrite interface. But to answer your original question: no, it's not usually this complicated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom