Can MFC control Ableton through the Axe FX

maxolla

Inspired
Does anyone know if it's possible to control Ableton with the MFC through the Axe? Maybe using the usb connection from the Axe to your laptop? I've been playing my DAW through the Axe monitoring through my frfr setup. It's cool to write music that way. You can hear what you've done with drums etc real time while you jam along with. I want to be able to trigger play on a track that has drums etc on it instead of have to use the mouse or keyboard to hit the play button.

Anyone tried to get your mfc to control your computer?

Thanks

Max

I know by saying that it is possible, then you will want to know how haha

The question you need to ask is, can cc# commands launch clips in session view of ableton live. Given that they released the launch pad for live the i would say you can.

In non axe fx mode the mfc can send pc and cc messages on each pedal, you would just need to pick the right numbers to match the settings you have assigned for the clips in your project, in live.

Yes, you can launch scenes in AL using the MFC connected only to the AFX, I tried it. You need to turn the USB adaptor mode on.

That said, the result wasn't great because this causes CPU usage to go up somewhat, and because AL also was sending tons of data to the Axe, changing scenes and controlling the sequencer, it caused delays and gaps, so I turned that off.

I do plan to come back to that and do some troubleshooting later. I somewhat optimized the amount of data sent to the AFX, so it may be better. Alternatively, it may be possible to enable the option to send MFC data to MIDI Out. This should work for USB too, but I haven't checked.

As far as AL setup is concerned, its easy. Just enable "remote" for the relevant midi port and then turn on the learn mode in AFX.

Reactions: NMG
Alternatively, it may be possible to enable the option to send MFC data to MIDI Out. This should work for USB too, but I haven't checked.

As far as AL setup is concerned, its easy. Just enable "remote" for the relevant midi port and then turn on the learn mode in AFX.[/QUOTE]

So is it fair to say that a better option may be a separate midi box dedicated to allowing the MFC to trigger AL? I'm using axe to monitor AI with seemingly no added CPU taxation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh no, it may be a great option as is but, like I said, I briefly tried it, it caused problems, I turned it off. I had no time for proper troubleshooting at the moment. There are a thousand things that could have gone wrong - maybe I forgot to disable communications between MFC and AFX, I don't know.

Apart from that, I was trying to launch a scene in AL while it was sending a constant stream of MIDI data to AFX. Beat clock and several CCs all the time, switching X/Y state of the pitch block with arpeggiator. Like I said, I've optimized that preset since then but my Axe had a lot of things to do at the moment. If in your case it's just"monitoring" you'll most probably be just fine.

I would encourage you to try. Just make sure the IA switch you'll be using for that purpose isn't used for anything drastic on AFX. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom