Can I upgrade my AX8 straight from firmware 2.02 to 10.01?

Georg

Hi team!

You may not believe it but I'm still running my AX8 on Firmware 2.02.

I have also switched computer and do not have the AX8-Edit or Fractal Bot installed
which means I do not have the versions matching my Firmware version. I found the AX8-Edit v 1.1.0
installation file on one of my other computers which is the one matching Firmware 2.02. I did not find
the matching version of Fractal Bot on any of my other computers.

Some questions:

1. Will AX8-Edit 1.1.0. run on windows 10?
2. Will the current version of Fractal Bot be able to do a backup of my presets even though the firmware on my AX8 is very old (FW 2.02) and send my presets back to the AX8 once I have updated the firmware?
3. Can I update my AX8 directly from 2.02 to 10.01?

Some insights would be much appreciated. :)

Regards
Georg

Last edited:
Your presets are going to be very different with that far of a jump. You will need to read each and every 'release note' between those two firmware versions.

Amp modeling, Compressor modeling, Delay mix laws, many more changes/improvements that I can't recall from memory.

Your presets are going to be very different with that far of a jump. You will need to read each and every 'release note' between those two firmware versions.

Amp modeling, Compressor modeling, Delay mix laws, many more changes/improvements that I can't recall from memory.

I suspected as much. The important thing to understand is how I upgrade correctly so that everything works.
Redoing the presets in part is probably something I can't get around.

But since you bring it up Moke. In your opinion, is it worth the effort?

I suspected as much. The important thing to understand is how I upgrade correctly so that everything works.
Redoing the presets in part is probably something I can't get around.

But since you bring it up Moke. In your opinion, is it worth the effort?
Absolutely!!

It's best to try every major update (and bug fixes) so that you don't fall too far behind. I like to wait a bit to see how stable they are first.

It would be great if one of the Fractal forum admins could confirm Moke's answer above that all my questions have the answer "yes". :)

Yowza! You're in for a treat with FW10.01. And you've gotten on with life thus far without the new amp models: Studly new incarnations of Marshalls, Hook and Freidman. And then there's great optical compressors, and the Darkglass if you play bass. Not to mention the supremely dialed in poweramp/speaker/IR response.

Start by installing the the latest Fractalbot and AX8 Edit. Backup everything. Then update to 10.01. For preset rebuilding, I would rebuild everything from scratch if possible. But if you have a vast archive of complex presets: you might keep the effects chains as they are, reset each block as needed, and rebuild from there. As of 10.01: There's seldom a need to move advanced parameters from their defaults, although you may be well served by adjusting the speaker dynamics in the amp block to taste.

It would be great if one of the Fractal forum admins could confirm Moke's answer above that all my questions have the answer "yes". :)
Just for the record... I never said that the answer to all three questions is 'yes'.

I answered the question.... "is it worth the effort?"

Cool! That's one question down. Two to go. :)
What's stopping you from testing this yourself?
  1. Just load Axe-Edit 1.1.0 onto your Windows 10 computer and see if it works.
  2. Try connecting your 2.02 machine to FractalBot and backing up your presets.

Wow, I thought the move from v9 to v10 was pretty amazing. Jumping from v2 to v10 might just blow your mind, but it is possible I'm just easily impressed ...

As long as you back up, you are fine. Just go ahead update after that. If you don't like it (I doubt that ;-) ) you can restore. V10 sounds great, but you will need to adjust your presets. BTW, Austin Buddy has a great pack of naked amp models that's tuned for V10.

What's stopping you from testing this yourself?
  1. Just load Axe-Edit 1.1.0 onto your Windows 10 computer and see if it works.
  2. Try connecting your 2.02 machine to FractalBot and backing up your presets.

Well, I have gigs booked in the coming weeks and I want to add some presets prior to these gigs. At the same time I do not want to risk messing up my AX8 just prior to these gigs so I want to stay on FW2.02 for now and use AX8-Edit 1.1.0. Because of this I also want to make sure AX8-Edit 1.1.0. runs without issues on Windows 10. It's not worth the risk to test this just to find out something gets messed up on the AX8.

Once the gigs are done I can test all of the above since I will have time to fix my presets then if something gets messed up. :)

Back
Top Bottom