Can I send MIDI signals from Pro Tools to the Axe-FX III over USB?

Tumatauenga

Inspired
Apologies in advance if this has been covered already.

I have an existing track in ProTools and would like to add an instrument track that sends MIDI commands to the Axe-FX III. The goal is the automation of scene changes as the track plays back.

I think I can figure out creating appropriate PC's or CC's on the instrument track, but I'm not clear how that information gets sent to the Axe FX over USB. I have the impression that I need a separate MIDI interface that is connected to the MIDI IN of the Axe III to make this work, and I'm hoping that is not the case.

Is this possible using only a PC with a USB connection to the Axe FX III?

So I figured out what was going on - but it might be a bug with Axe Edit that needs to be addressed?

I have been turning on the Axe-FX after starting Pro Tools in order to be able to use both Pro Tools and Axe Edit. If I start Pro Tools while the Axe FX is already on, and then start Axe Edit, then Axe Edit doesn't appear to function - it just hangs saying "Please Wait - Communicating", then eventually times out after roughly 10 minutes with the following alert:

Axe-Edit-Timeout-Error.png

This seems related to this issue: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/issue-when-using-axe-edit-iii-at-same-time-as-logic.138154/. In that thread the issue appeared to be restricted to Mac's running Logic & Pro Tools, however I have a PC running Pro Tools.

My problem was that Pro Tools was not recognizing the Axe-Fx as a MIDI output device if I start them in this order. Once I powered the Axe-Fx on before starting Pro-Tools, I could then see the Axe-Fx as a MIDI output (and input) device.

Is there something I need to do to be able to use Axe Edit if I have the Axe Fx III turned on before I start Pro Tools? As it stands it seems like I have to choose between sending MIDI commands to the Axe, or using Axe Edit while Pro Tools is open. I don't appear to be able to do both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a record for future readers, here's how I eventually got it to work:
  • I created an Instrument track in pro tools, and added some automation on controller number 85 - I chose that one since it was undefined as a controller of any other effect, so I thought it was a safe bet, but you can probably use any controller number you like, as long as it's not already tied to something on the Axe-Fx.
  • I confirmed that the Axe-Fx was listening on channel 1 ("MIDI/Remote" -> General -> MIDI Channel), and I was sending on channel 1:
MIDI Changes2.png
  • I changed "Scene Select" in the "Other" page of the "MIDI/Remote" menu of the Axe-Fx to listen to CC #85
  • I added automation to take the value of controller number 85 from 0 through 7, changing every beat.
  • When I played the track back, scenes changed as expected.

Attachments

• MIDI Changes.png
    MIDI Changes.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 9
  • MIDI-OX.png
    MIDI-OX.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom