Can I safely soda blast my guitar neck?--Update.

Last week I took the guitar, a 1978 Strat lefty, to my luthier to see if he would refret it and sand off and refinish the neck. This guitar is in never-been-played condition, has the original frets and a poly urethane finish on the neck. He told me then not to do it as that would ruin any resale value. He said to leave it with him and he would do a set up to make it playable. I agreed and left it. A week later he calls me in and again says the guitar is a rare bird and to take it home and see if the set-up made it playable and if I don't like it to sell it. He even said that it could not be refretted because of the way it was built in '78; that the Fender company no longer frets their guitars in this day and age the way they did in '78 He said this even though he had refretted a 1977 Strat for me a couple of years ago.

So, I played a couple of bars on the '78 at his shop and the action was much better than when I brought it in. I took it home and have been playing it for a week now. Two things I have noticed with the '78: the tone through the Axe is harsh relative to my '77, and even more distinct, there is a big, big difference in the sustain between the two guitars. The '78 cannot hold a note compared to the '77. When I switched from the '78 to the '77, it was like a weight off my shoulders, sweet relief. The notes sang out; the strings bent effortlessly and held the notes.

There are differences to consider here: the '77 is refretted and the neck has been stripped and redone with a light oil. It is fast and plays beautifully. The '78 is all original, plays fast enough, but has little or no sustain, and struggles with tone. I don't want to sell the '78, and I don't want to replace the neck with anything but a Fender that plays like my '77. So my question is: could my problem with the '78 be improved or even solved by changing out the pickups? Is there any way to improve sustain and tone through the pickups I have now? Any adjustments that can be made? Are new pickups an option? Or is the polyurethane and low frets going to forever cause the problem?

These are questions I'm going to ask my guitar man, but I'm going to ask here first because there's a whole lot of knowledgeable people here that I think can help. Thanks for any assistance and have a happy holiday season.

Is the lacquer sticky?

If so, get another can of lacquer and spray it over top of the existing lacquer. The new lacquer will reactivate the old lacquer and the two layers will combine into one smooth layer. The finish will be as smooth as it was when it was new and it won't be tacky. I learned this trick on some very expensive (35k) cupboards I repaired in my own home.

Cupboard makers user lacquer because it dries very, very quickly, so they can finish more cabinets in less time. I'm guessing that's why guitar manufactures used it back in the day too. Problem with lacquer, is that the oil from some people's skin, not all, reacts with the lacquer and basically melts it and the oil keeps the lacquer from curing, so it becomes tacky.

My stepson has very oily skin and when he lived at home, the lacquer around the knobs on the cupboard doors became very tacky over several years. After doing some research, I removed the doors and resprayed them with lacquer and they've been super smooth and tack free, for about 5 years now. It worked really well!

As for the frets, I don't think a professional re-fret job will hurt the value.
Before doing so, better check with a professionnal painter. Some lackers will mixup, dilute and then shrink during the drying process....and your neck surface will become like an old human skin....

Hi, lauke. Thanks for the reply.

No, the neck isn't sticky at all--a little slower than the '77, but it's up to speed as far as playing notes goes. The problem I fear is with the neck radius--7.25. My guitar guy told me before I took it home that in 1978 Fender made its strat necks with a 7.25 radius, learning a little bit later that such a curvature in the fret board affected it in a way that would retard sustain. So some time in the 1980's Fender changed to to a 9.5 radius to correct the problem. I've learned the hard way what my guitar man was telling me. But it still begs me my question that if it is true about my '78 having a sustain problem, then why does my '77 play like a magic carpet riding the stratosphere? I'm not one to fret over minor issues, but this shit kept me up last night. Seriously.

This guitar is too beautiful to sell but too annoying to play. So hopefully I can work something out to rectify things. Thanks again.

For pushing the sustain, here some suggestions ;
Check PU height, if too close to the strings (say closer than 5-7mm on bridge until 8 mm for Beck pu then lower. Normally your guitar shop took care
Be sure neck is solidly screwed to the body (.....)
Check status of saddles and nut. Eventually install graphtech accessories

PU shouldn't change that much to sustain except if they're crap.

My setup guy did all that lauke. I should have realized that before I posted. So what I did was I pulled the '78 out of the AXE and inserted it into a Splawn Quick Rod and cab hooked into a Zoom G5. That did the trick. Things sound soooo good now I even tried the '77 on the Splawn, which I usually never do. Amazing! The '77 sounds great through anything, but my '78 is now a keeper-still not as good as my
souped up '77 but I like the sound I'm getting with the G5.

Thanks for your input, lauke. Happy holidays.

My setup guy did all that lauke. I should have realized that before I posted. So what I did was I pulled the '78 out of the AXE and inserted it into a Splawn Quick Rod and cab hooked into a Zoom G5. That did the trick. Things sound soooo good now I even tried the '77 on the Splawn, which I usually never do. Amazing! The '77 sounds great through anything, but my '78 is now a keeper-still not as good as my
souped up '77 but I like the sound I'm getting with the G5.

Thanks for your input, lauke. Happy holidays.

Check the gate settings on yur axe fx.... A zoom sounding better is a gag...
Happy new year

Maybe try this: with strings on and in tune, loosen the neck screws just enough to settle the neck into the pocket right. If it wasn't making good contact it could improve the sustain.

Had a G5. Did not like it.

Back
Top Bottom