Can I merge AXEIII and FM3 block libraries?

blaggers

Power User
I use FM3 edit and AxeIII Edit on the same laptop. Is it OK to merge the two block libraries (by changing the block library path in FM3 Edit) into one library, so the blocks I create are available to add on either device? I assume this might give a few compatability issues if I create new Beta firmware blocks, but is it generally Ok to do?

It should work fine. It is possible to have a compatibility issue with one or more entries but the editor will display a message upon startup notifying you to check the log file with details.

OK, it lists a large number of errors (about 80 files) like the one below:-

..\blocks\Delay\Dly_My Vocals 1_20191122_202950.blk: The block was saved using Axe-Fx III firmware version 11.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

What versions of AxeIII blocks can be read by FM3? Can I simply open the existing blocks and resave in latest AxeFXII version to update them?

I loaded and resaved the block in latest AXeFX III Fw16.05 via Axeedit III (without changing any parameters) and it updated the file saved date

1628105923204.png

but the firmware version in the block file is still seen as the earlier version!?!? Whats going wrong?

..\StuCmp_My Vocals1_20191122_203255.blk: The block was saved using Axe-Fx III firmware version 11.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

I even tried changing some parameters and saving the block again - still sees it as created in FW11 !!! This feature doesnt seem to be working correctly.

Last edited:
The FM3 was released when the Axe-Fx III was at firmware 12, therefore that it is the lowest firmware that the FM3's block library will support for conversion.

The FM3 was released when the Axe-Fx III was at firmware 12, therefore that it is the lowest firmware that the FM3's block library will support for conversion.
Thanks for clarifying that. But when I resave the block library file using the latest AxeFX III firmware, the block still shows via FM3 Edit as being made with a pre-V11 firmware. That doesnt seem to make sense, is the firmware it was initially saves from stored in the file?.

Thanks for clarifying that. But when I resave the block library file using the latest AxeFX III firmware, the block still shows via FM3 Edit as being made with a pre-V11 firmware. That doesnt seem to make sense, is the firmware it was initially saves from stored in the file?.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The firmware version was not being updated in the over written block. This is fixed for the next release.

Workaround for now is to use the Save As feature and then delete the old block.

This seems to fit the general topic and may even be related to the issue above.

I noticed that a particular amp channel that I try to share between the two devices seems to be messed up, in a reproducible way. Attached is the channel as saved from AxeEdit3 w/ the AxeFx III (v16.05). When loading it in FM3Edit (for a v4.01 FM3), all settings and levels are way off.

A similar thing happens the other way round: a freshly reset channel dialed in to taste in FM3Edit, saved to the block library, and loaded into AxeEdit3 shows different params, also completely off.

Interestingly, roughly 10 other amp models have not shown any such behavior.

Attachments

• Slo100Ld-Rhy-tight_20210821_213521.blk
    1.7 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom