Can I make a custom cable for multiple FC's or use a wire loom?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I really liked the simplicity and convenience of using a 7pin MIDI cable with my Axe-Fx II XL+ that powered my FAMC (Liquid Foot+) LF+ PRO+ and LF+ 12+. I needed more than 1amp to power both my controllers, so I made my own cable just like the Rocktron RDMH900 cable that has a 5pin MIDI connector and power jack on one end and a 7pin MIDI connector on the other. I used a 15ft Cat6 Network cable to make my cable.

I also made a similar 7pin MIDI cable for my Axe-Fx III that has a 5pin MIDI In, 5pin MIDI Out and power jack on one end and a 7pin MIDI connector on the other.

I want to make something similar to power multiple FC-12's. I may end up getting 4 FC-12's because I'm used to having 38 foot switches to control my Axe-Fx III. I'm thinking I could use a 5 conductor cable with a Male XLR plug and power jack on one end and a Female XLR jack and 3 power plugs on the other end. I'd also make 3x 30" XLR cables to daisy-chain all the FC's.

+ What power adapter specs would I need to power an extra 3 FC-12's with one power adapter or would I need 3 separate power adapters?
+ What kind of cable and specs would I need? 5 conductor? Ohms?
+ How long can I make the cable?

If I can't make a cable or use a single power adapter, can I use a wire loom to bundle the XLR and 3 power cables together or would the power cables cause noise or interference being so close to the XLR cable?

The power spec for the FC is in its manual: 9–12V DC, 1000ma

4 FC-12s! Wow! That would be amazing if you can get it to work. I've tossed around putting together a cable to power an additional FC (so I'd run a 6 and a 12), and to carry power and a signal to a tuner pedal (love me some Polytune), along with the normal 3 lead xlr signal the FCs require. I am NOT an engineer, and this may very well be wrong, but if you want to power 4 FCs, one would be powered from the AF3, and you'd have to use external power for the other three FCs, so if each requires a full 1000 mA of current, you'll need 3 amps of current, right? (If that's wrong, please correct me!). That's a lot of current for midi wires, depending on with length, and gauge of wires...
Here's a link that might be helpful:
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Perhaps 7 pin xlr cable may also work? It's used for old tube microphones, which need to be powered through the cable, and my hunch is it's probably heavier gauge than midi cable would be.

Either way, that's gonna be one big mother pedalboard.

4 FC-12s! Wow! That would be amazing if you can get it to work. I've tossed around putting together a cable to power an additional FC (so I'd run a 6 and a 12), and to carry power and a signal to a tuner pedal (love me some Polytune), along with the normal 3 lead xlr signal the FCs require. I am NOT an engineer, and this may very well be wrong, but if you want to power 4 FCs, one would be powered from the AF3, and you'd have to use external power for the other three FCs, so if each requires a full 1000 mA of current, you'll need 3 amps of current, right? (If that's wrong, please correct me!). That's a lot of current for midi wires, depending on with length, and gauge of wires...
Here's a link that might be helpful:
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Perhaps 7 pin xlr cable may also work? It's used for old tube microphones, which need to be powered through the cable, and my hunch is it's probably heavier gauge than midi cable would be.

Either way, that's gonna be one big mother pedalboard.

I think I'm going to use a split or braided expandable Sleeve wire loom and run a 25ft XLR cable and a 25ft 16/3 gauge extension cord in it and get a 12V DC 3A 36W 5.5mm 2.1mm power supply adapter ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-12V-3...for-CCTV-System-DVR-5-5-x-2-1-mm/272593322870 ) and some 5.5mm 2.1mm Barrel Power Connectors ( Amazon product ASIN B07MN14M4M ) and split the power supply adapter into 3 Barrel Power Connectors.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to use a split or braided expandable Sleeve wire loom and run a 25ft XLR cable and a 25ft 16/3 gauge extension cord in it and get a 12V DC 3A 36W 5.5mm 2.1mm power supply adapter ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-12V-3...for-CCTV-System-DVR-5-5-x-2-1-mm/272593322870 ) and some 5.5mm 2.1mm Barrel Power Connectors ( Amazon product ASIN B07MN14M4M ) and split the power supply adapter into 3 Barrel Power Connectors.
You might want to consider a connector that doesn’t have exposed terminals. That’s a short waiting to happen. :eek:

I have two and am in heaven. :) I bought a Roland PSB-120 power supply. It has an inline transformer so there's no wall wart. Additionally, the cables are longer and more robust than the usual wall warts you can get. I'd love to power both through Fastlink but this works very well.

Back
Top Bottom