Can I have ring LED's on only when enganged?

...I checked my FC Edit>FC Config settings. "RING INTENSITY is set to 100% for bright, and 7% for Dim. I'm assuming these are the default settings as I didn't know where to control that stuff until I read this post...
Yes, these are the default settings. Like you, I didn't know about RING INTENSITY until I asked about it on this forum some months ago in the FM3 section.

My current settings is 95% Bright and 3% Dim. These are global brightness/dim settings and cannot be tailored to individual LEDS. Just don't mess with the BANK SIZE setting next to bright/dim unless you plan on modifying your FM9 layout screen. I inadvertently switched from 3 to 2 and it hiccuped big time. Set the Bank Size back to 3 and was safe again.

I'm getting some odd behavior from the LED rings lately. I'm not running the v2 beta firmware. I'm back on v1.

I'm getting exactly the kind of behavior the OP requested, but I have no idea why or how. LOL

I'm using the OFMG9 FC setup (not sure I typed that correctly). It could have something to do with how I've got my preset & scenes set up, but I'm not certain. I've got scenes 1 - 4 set up to toggle between scenes 5 - 8 so that the S1 switch toggles to S5, S2 toggles to S6 and so on. I'm running 4 different amps, that each toggle between 2 scenes basically.

What I'm seeing currently is that only the selected scene has it's LED ring lit (bright red), the other 3 LED rings for the other 3 scene switches are totally off - not DIM, but off. When I toggle from scene 1 to scene 5, the LED ring is bright red as you'd expect on scene 1, when I toggle it to scene 5 the LED ring goes to the dim setting, while the other three scene LED rings remain totally un-lit.

But only while I'm looking at scenes 1 thru 4.

When I hit the "more" switch to bring up the scene 5 thru 8 switches, they behave as I understand they're supposed to. Only scene 5 has a bright red led ring, while the other 3 scene switches have dim red led rings. When I select the "more" switch to get back to the switches for scenes 1 thru 4, I still have only one switch lit (for whichever scene I've got selected), and the other three scene select switches are completely off - not dim. Is this normal behavior, or could it be a bug?

I checked my FC Edit>FC Config settings. "RING INTENSITY is set to 100% for bright, and 7% for Dim. I'm assuming these are the default settings as I didn't know where to control that stuff until I read this post.

I can post pics if that'll help.
Scene Toggle (and other Toggle functions) do this:

CC0F5339-EE85-4F13-B168-9F46ECAE8C8E.jpeg

Thanks for pointing this out, unix-guy. I guess this may partially be a way to at least get closer to what the OP was asking for.

I just realized it only behaves like this when I'm on the scenes 1 thru 4 part of the scenes mode (layout 2). Because those 4 switches are each set to toggle. I also noticed when I called up scene 5 thru 8 (layout 3, via the "more" switch), all 4 LED rings were lit. Because they're set to only select their respective scenes without any toggle function (ala layout 2). It's all making way more sense now. I've been thinking about all the FC assignment possibilities for those 4 other scene switches now (5 thru 8). Mind blown.

I've also been experimenting with hold functions for the first four scene switches. Is there an FC programming for control freaks thread?

.I've also been experimenting with hold functions for the first four scene switches. Is there an FC programming for control freaks thread?
I was doing this, with Layout Links on the holds to switch to a Scenes 5-8 layout, and similar on the 5-8 layout to hop back to 1-4. After a while two things occurred to me: I don't like waiting for 'foot up' for the tap function to fire on things I use in performance, and I don't have any need for more than 4 scenes, and generally set up 5-8 to be just like 1-4 but with something changed, like maybe different amp, cab, or both. So, I removed all the hold functions and switch layouts from Scenes 1-4 to Scenes 5-8 the old-fashioned way - with a dedicated Layout switch in each layout, whic has the Presets layout on hold in both instances, for easier preset selection when I need yo do that....

I've got scenes 1 - 4 set up to toggle

Pasting from the blocks guide:

SCENE: TOGGLE
“Toggle” functions allow you to switch back and forth between two designated entries.
Primary Scene and Secondary Scene — These set the desired Scenes by their numbers.
The LED ring is bright when you toggle to the “Primary” Scene, dim for the “Secondary” and off for “neither”.

I thought I would want to have the LED’s shut off entirely until I dimmed them as low as they’d go the other day. I keep my apartment lit like a vampire lives there and I generally practice my band’s songs standing up. Right away I realized how useful it was to have them all lit. I just couldn’t see where I needed my foot to fall until I was close enough to the board with them all dimmed. With my Ground Control Pro, there was only 4 switches so it wasn’t that big of a deal, but that went completely out the window with the FM9.

I just keep them color coded and don’t stray from that coding when setting up my scenes. Blue- Clean, Green- Breaking Up/More effects, Red- Dirty, Purple- Lead. they’re all just variations of that in each preset.

I would like this too. I find the scribble screens hard enough to read, let alone if I want my brightness full up on the rings. So I have to reduce the full on the ring to allow me to better read the scribble strips. Thus making an "not in use state" OFF with no light something that would help with this.

The 3% still sometimes is harder to discern the ON or OFF at quick glance on stage, with bright lights. Ya dig?

Hmmm, Maybe not? I might be thinking of another device?
You're thinking of the Helix lol.. I just discovered how to do this on my helix. Probably as per the OP, I wanted all the non engaged rings off to avoid any confusion as to which part of my preset is active. Never seen it done on the Fractals though

Pasting from the blocks guide:

SCENE: TOGGLE
“Toggle” functions allow you to switch back and forth between two designated entries.
Primary Scene and Secondary Scene — These set the desired Scenes by their numbers.
The LED ring is bright when you toggle to the “Primary” Scene, dim for the “Secondary” and off for “neither”.
Just wondering if there a way to still have the LED ring dimmed when neither are in play?

For example, for the most part I order my scene switches as: ‘Clean’, ‘Crunch’, ‘Crunch+’, ‘Lead’ and ‘Solo’ for each song, and use the per preset overrides to switch off the LEDs that are not in play for a part song

However, sometimes at the end of a solo I want to bring in another scene to add an additional effect etc. I can obviously achieve this using Scene Toggle, but then I lose the ability to see at a glance, which scenes are in-play for a particular song.

Just wondering if there a way to still have the LED ring dimmed when neither are in play?

For example, for the most part I order my scene switches as: ‘Clean’, ‘Crunch’, ‘Crunch+’, ‘Lead’ and ‘Solo’ for each song, and use the per preset overrides to switch off the LEDs that are not in play for a part song

However, sometimes at the end of a solo I want to bring in another scene to add an additional effect etc. I can obviously achieve this using Scene Toggle, but then I lose the ability to see at a glance, which scenes are in-play for a particular song.
How does that help? Every preset has 8 scenes, whether you use them or not...

Sounds like you are already using 'Per-Preset Overrides'. Just setup that particular preset to have that additional scene 6, or effect 'on/off'.

Can I have lights on only when enganged? Not just dimmed in bypass but actually off, then full light on when switch is engaged.
You can dim to 1% intensity
Correct.

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 11.55.40 AM.png

It depends on what a switch's function is though. For Effect-oriented it'll dim to 1% if the block is bypassed, but will go to 0% if the block is not in the preset. For Per-Preset functions it'll be 0% for switches that point to a Per-Preset that isn't defined, so it's context-sensitive.

The Footswitch Functions Guide describes the behavior of the ring light for every switch function.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, I probably should have also stated that I’m using 5 switches on the bottom row for my scenes, with tap tempo occupying the right-most switch so was hoping to keep this as a ‘standard’ layout per each preset.

It’s not a biggie anyhow because as @Moke suggests I can use a per preset override to introduce preset 6, but I just wondered if it were possibly to have the option to keep the LED lit etc.

It’s not a biggie anyhow because as @Moke suggests I can use a per preset override to introduce preset 6, but I just wondered if it were possibly to have the option to keep the LED lit etc.
I assume that you mean Scene 6?

On my 'Scenes' Layout, All available scene switches are lit according to my 'Dim' setting. The selected scene is lit according to my 'Bright' setting.

You could setup any of your Scene switches to toggle between it's typical scene and scene 6 as a Per-Preset Override for that specific preset.

How does that help? Every preset has 8 scenes, whether you use them or not...
Because if I’m using a scene toggle for switch 5, then it would be good to still see it dimmed (rather than unlit) whenever I’m on scenes 1-4. Just a visual indication really that the switch is in-play for the current song / preset etc.

As I say, no biggie either way as there’s a workaround.

Because if I’m using a scene toggle for switch 5, then it would be good to still see it dimmed (rather than unlit) whenever I’m on scenes 1-4. Just a visual indication really that the switch is in-play for the current song / preset etc.

As I say, no biggie either way as there’s a workaround.
The unit doesn't know whether a scene is "used" or not.

In the case that it worked as wished, the LED for all inactive scenes would be dim, which doesn't help you know that scene 5 is "used" in your preset.

In the case that it worked as wished, the LED for all inactive scenes would be dim, which doesn't help you know that scene 5 is "used" in your preset.
I use an unused, empty per-preset override to hide unused scenes. You can use the same one in multiple places....

I get what you’re saying, but in my use case (only displaying 5 scene switches) my inactive scenes are always dim anyhow, and unused scenes are unlit via use of overrides. So all I’m saying really is that the unlit nature of the existing Toggle implementation is a bit of a fly-in-the-ointment for this approach for me

Back
Top Bottom