Can I Have An External Tuner Always On To Tune Silently?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

I was just after some info, not sure if this will work but I've started using the Axe III to go direct to the PA via output 1 and then using output 2 I'm connecting to a matrix amp and guitar cab to monitor myself.

I also have an RJM MMGT22 for my midi board and also using an EV-1 to handle my global vol pedal. Is it possible to run an external tuner say a polytune 2 on my board set to be always on and when I roll my vol pedal off I can tune silently on the fly with no issues?

I used to do this with the II when in 4CM mode but now I'm running direct the tuner and tone saver when connected to output 1 or 2 on the axe the vol pedal needs to be on for the tuner and tone saver to work other wise it won't detect a signal.

Any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks
Paul

Hi guys,

I was just after some info, not sure if this will work but I've started using the Axe III to go direct to the PA via output 1 and then using output 2 I'm connecting to a matrix amp and guitar cab to monitor myself.

I also have an RJM MMGT22 for my midi board and also using an EV-1 to handle my global vol pedal. Is it possible to run an external tuner say a polytune 2 on my board set to be always on and when I roll my vol pedal off I can tune silently on the fly with no issues?

I used to do this with the II when in 4CM mode but now I'm running direct the tuner and tone saver when connected to output 1 or 2 on the axe the vol pedal needs to be on for the tuner and tone saver to work other wise it won't detect a signal.

Any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks
Paul

My suggestion is to use your midi pedal as a volume controller within a block in your patch (instead of the global volume which defeats all signals). That way you can tap an output for your tuner before your volume pedal in the chain that always has signal. This also has the benefit of being able to save your delay and reverb tails when doing volume swells!

My suggestion is to use your midi pedal as a volume controller within a block in your patch (instead of the global volume which defeats all signals). That way you can tap an output for your tuner before your volume pedal in the chain that always has signal. This also has the benefit of being able to save your delay and reverb tails when doing volume swells!

I thought that might be the way forward. How do you think the best way to do this might be? I have a vol block already in my preset but I get the feeling it might be set as a global vol. Is there a way to check this? It's tied to external control 2 at the moment.

Would you suggest plugging in a cable to one of the other outputs on the axe? say out 3? and then to the tuner? I have out 1 going to the PA and out 2 going to my matrix at the moment and there's an out 2 block tapped off just before the cab block like the manual suggested to do.

Thanks again
Paul

I just managed to figure it out, I just connected the tuner's input to output 3 and tapped off out 3 before the vol block and it works.

Last edited:
I used cc 10 on the Axe II which was input 1, for my "guitar input into amp volume", so I could do volume swells, etc....I am doing the same thing with the III. What this also enables is to silence my input signal via midi, but my guitar still makes it into the front end of the Axe FX and therefore I can use the built in tuner.

In this way, I could tune silently, or if I want to pretend I'm in Nirvana, or something, I could just tune with my guitar ringing out through the PA.

Right now, I cannot use the tuner in the Axe III, because FAMC has yet to release the firmware for the Liquid Foot series of midi controllers.

Right now, I cannot use the tuner in the Axe III, because FAMC has yet to release the firmware for the Liquid Foot series of midi controllers.[/QUOTE]

Those Liquid Foot controllers are fantastic! (but also fantastically expensive...) I wonder if there is a way to remap a program (patch) change midi message to become a "tuner on" message. So you could then use a program change message that ostensively might go to turning "PATCH 12" on - but instead it turns your tuner on. Having the little arrows tuning in the home screen on the FXIII is a great touch - but like you I wish I had a quick way to access the big tuner screen - we used to have a separate button the the FXII

It seems like it ought to be easy for the FXIII to remap a message like this - perhaps one of the midi experts here on the forum can help us with that question - you might also be able to do this inside your Liquid Foot - I am using a very simple controller that only sends program messages, so I hope there is a way for me to do this too

It will certainly be nice when Fractal finally comes out with their FC pedals! (It seems like we ask too much from Cliff to attend to all these little details - maybe Fractal could hire someone (maybe an intern?) to help him on these types mundane projects so he can spend his time on the hard stuff and maybe watch a movie and take a walk with his dog once in a while)

Back
Top Bottom