can i do this?

rectifier

Inspired
get a standard and try it out,,if i like it can i send it back and upgrade to the ultra before the 10 days?...just a way to keep $500 in the bank.

doesn't really seem cool to me, but I guess you could do that...

Why not just get an Ultra...if that peaks your interest and if you don't like it send it back?

maybe i need to clarify so it dont sound like im trying to rip somebody off or do something dishonest....i meant try the standard out to see if it meets my needs..if not send it back for the ultra.

well what are your needs exactly?

the sound quality of the standard is the same as the ultra...ultra jus has more features

you should look up the extra features of the ultra first and see if they are what you're after

I'm sure Fractal would appreciate an upsell, even if you have to return a standard and move up to an ultra but others suggestions are good ones, just look at the feature list and decide based on your needs. if you are a basic meat and potatoes guy the standard is more than enough. If you are The Edge or david Gilmour the Ultra may be the best route although there are plenty of patches attainable on the standard that cover both of the guitarists I mention above.

Hope that helps!

This happens often enough to be annoying. We can't resell the returned units as new so we end up losing money. But since we have a return policy there's nothing stopping someone from returning the standard and then simply ordering an Ultra so we allow it.

If you think you want the Ultra then order the Ultra and I can afford health insurance this month.

hehe, fair enough... and thanks for the input...but since you mentioned it what do you do with the returned units? sell at small discount?

It's still April 1, isn't it?

They get turned over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for fraud evaluation.

The other thing you can do is post up examples of the kinds of things you're looking to be able to do with your Axe. If you come back with just a very basic kind of "wah -> amp -> cab- > reverb" or something as your idea of a patch, then it'd be pretty safe to say a Standard would be fine. If you want to be running dual amp chains with whatever crazy FX and such, then you'll probably need the Ultra. If you want certain FX, or duplications of certain FX, that might mean you'll have to get the Ultra to get where you want.

Start out here: http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

Go through the list of FX and instances available in each unit and see if anything stands out enough for you to make a decision without even having to look any further. Some things are obvious, like the Synth block. Other things aren't quite so obvious, such as the number of instances possible for each block. I bought my Ultra without even looking at this kind of info, just knowing that I had to have the best one available. :lol: But looking at it now, I'm glad I didn't go with the Standard (for me personally). No Quad Chorus? Half the number of EQ blocks available? No multiband compressor? Less delay and pitch shift features? Only one volume/pan block versus four? Screw that! :shock:

Where are the returned units sold? I don't see anywhere on the site an option to buy a repackaged unit for a discount. I'm looking to buy a standard and buying a returned unit might be an option I would like to consider. Thanks.

Locrian said:
Where are the returned units sold? I don't see anywhere on the site an option to buy a repackaged unit for a discount. I'm looking to buy a standard and buying a returned unit might be an option I would like to consider. Thanks.

He hasn't had a lot of those go for sometime. He usually announces it here. I would guess that some of them are used for warranty replacements.

rectifier said:
get a standard and try it out,,if i like it can i send it back and upgrade to the ultra before the 10 days?...just a way to keep $500 in the bank.

Is it only 10 days now?
Used to be 15 back in november when I bought my Axe.
A few months prior to that it was 30 days.

What gives?

joegold said:
rectifier said:

Is it only 10 days now?
Used to be 15 back in november when I bought my Axe.
A few months prior to that it was 30 days.

What gives?

It's still 15 days according to the terms on the FAS site. 30 days IMO is rather (overly) generous IMO. I guess as the product becomes more well known, there are people using them live, clips all over the net, etc. etc., there's less need for such an extended "trial" period.

What I like seeing is people offering to give demos for potential buyers. Rather than people doing the buy/return thing, someone local to them offers to show them through it with their own Axe. Very cool stuff. I've seen a few cases of it happening, no doubt there's been many more, and it's a way straight into it, with no noob learning period as such due to their being an experienced user there. :cool:

If you can afford it, just get the Ultra. I got the Standard and have now just purchased an Ultra and will have to lose money on my end for not buying the Ultra in the first place.

If you even think about needing the extra firepower of the Ultra, just pony up and get it.

Why stiff Fractal with a returned unit when you probably don't want it in the first place?

Not cool.................

Back
Top Bottom