Can I do this?

PRS Guy

Inspired
I would like to have a preset with multiple scenes that has among other things a wah and whammy block. So in one scene the wah is activated when I move the expression pedal (the whammy is off). In another scene of that preset I would like to have the whammy effect active when I move the expression pedal (the wah is off).

Can I do this? I guess it boils down to having separate modifiers controlled by a single pedal based on a scene.

Thanks for any help! Alternatives are appreciated too.

you can do that - be sure to keep auto-engage off so the wah doesn't unexpectedly come on when you go to whammy (and vice-versa)!

@brianv4 thanks. So does that mean I need to hit the switch to first enable the block (wah or whammy)? I guess I was hoping based on the scene the expression pedal position (movement) would engage the appropriate effect. Am I screwed up on this? o_O

scene 1) wah is turned on and whammy bypassed.

Scene 2) whammy is on, wah is bypassed

Have the same external controller controlling their function(s). Ie frequency for the wah, pitch up/down octave for the whammy

You only need to change between each scene, either scene 1/2 toggle or whatever footswitch you assign to cycle through your scenes.

what roshroslin said. you won't need to hit an IA switch to turn the effect on/off, scenes will do it for you. i'd recommend scene 1= wah/whammy both off, scene 2= wah on, scene 3, whammy on. that way when you select the preset you're not jumping in with the fx already on (unless you want to start off with wah or whammy on)

You can do this with auto engage as well! Run one of them in parallel and put a volume/eq/filter in front of both set the bypass mode of the volume/eq/filter to mute and turn them on and off with the scenes. This way even though your whammy will be active it will have no affect on the sound because there will be no volume going into it.

You can actually use just about any block you want in place of the volume block just set the mix to 0% and bypass mode to mute. Just in case you run out of volume blocks.

I used to do this the way Yek advised : running both parallel BUT you working with the X/Y settings of the Wah & Whammy ;)
Scene 1 :
Wah X is normal as you want it = On , Whammy Y : Bypass Mute
Scene 2 :
Wah Y : Bypass Mute , Whammy X : On with your Pitch Up / Down....

Worked great and saves you the extra little CPU of the volume / Filter block and less complicated routings.:D

I used to do this the way Yek advised : running both parallel BUT you working with the X/Y settings of the Wah & Whammy ;)
Scene 1 :
Wah X is normal as you want it = On , Whammy Y : Bypass Mute
Scene 2 :
Wah Y : Bypass Mute , Whammy X : On with your Pitch Up / Down....

Worked great and saves you the extra little CPU of the volume / Filter block and less complicated routings.:D

The problem with this routing is that the wah will be engaged as soon as you switch scenes. If you want the auto engage function to work you have to have some other way to kill the volume than the bypass mode because it is unbypassed as soon as you move the expression pedal.
Now that you mention x/y though you could have auto engage work by setting the level parameter on the y mode to 0. As follows:
Scene 1: wah x in parallel with wammy y.
Scene 2: wah y in parallel with wammy x.
Where the bypass mode is set to thru on both x and y but the output volume or level parameter is set to 0 for the y mode. This way you can be in scene 1 or 2 and play with no wah or wammy but they will be ready to use whenever you hit your exp pedal.

The problem with this routing is that the wah will be engaged as soon as you switch scenes. If you want the auto engage function to work you have to have some other way to kill the volume than the bypass mode because it is unbypassed as soon as you move the expression pedal.
Now that you mention x/y though you could have auto engage work by setting the level parameter on the y mode to 0. As follows:
Scene 1: wah x in parallel with wammy y.
Scene 2: wah y in parallel with wammy x.
Where the bypass mode is set to thru on both x and y but the output volume or level parameter is set to 0 for the y mode. This way you can be in scene 1 or 2 and play with no wah or wammy but they will be ready to use whenever you hit your exp pedal.

hmmm, I never had that issue with the Axe 2.....engaging the Wah or Whammy with scene switching...

If I understand you correctly, you are intentionally having the wah always on when in scene 1 and wammy always on in scene 2. Thus making it impossible to use auto engage. I could be wrong though.
The way I showed, the exp fx would only be on if you were moving the exp pedal.

If I understand you correctly, you are intentionally having the wah always on when in scene 1 and wammy always on in scene 2. Thus making it impossible to use auto engage. I could be wrong though.
The way I showed, the exp fx would only be on if you were moving the exp pedal.

That is what I also did : auto engage for both the Wah & Whammy....so when I engaged the pedal in scene 1 : Wah was sounding....the same in Scene 2 : Whammy was screaming :D

That is what I also did : auto engage for both the Wah & Whammy....so when I engaged the pedal in scene 1 : Wah was sounding....the same in Scene 2 : Whammy was screaming :D
Ok cool! How do you keep the wammy from engaging when you move the exp pedal? is auto engage saved in x/y states?

Here you go. It expects an expression pedal to be plugged into Expression 1 and attached to the External 1 controller. Use the 1 button the AX8 to toggle between Scene 1 (Wah) and Scene (Whammy). The blocks are auto-on and turn off when the expression pedal is parked "toe up".

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 7.24.06 PM.png
For a two-effect toggle this is the simplest way to approach it. The blocks use their Y state to set their levels as low as they go which essentially mutes audio running through them. It's not quite perfect because the lowest level in the WAH block is -80 dB. If you're monitoring at INSANE levels you can hear a touch of signal coming through still, but it's good enough and uses less CPU than muting a VOL block or something like that. Leaves you CPU to use for effects, right? The PIT block is pretty much 100% muted in the Y state because both the level and the input gain are dialed back to minimum values.

Attachments

• Wah+Whammy Example.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom