Can FX8 be used with a Kemper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here used the FX8 with a Kemper?

Can you get stereo sound through the Kemper with it?

Does using a FX8 with a Kemper degrade or alter the tone of the Kemper profiles in any way?

Is there any reasons why using a FX8 with a Kemper wouldn't be a great idea?

Can you get stereo sound through the Kemper with it?
I’m not sure that the Kemper will accept a stereo input, so you may or may not be able to get stereo “through” it. But it is very possible to build a stereo rig with a Kemper and an FX8.

Does using a FX8 with a Kemper degrade or alter the tone of the Kemper profiles in any way?
It won’t degrade the tone at all. Whether it alters the tone depends entirely on whether you’ve programmed the FX8 to alter the tone.

Is there any reasons why using a FX8 with a Kemper wouldn't be a great idea?
No.

The Kemper will accept CC commands I believe...so it should be compatible, yet I haven’t tried it.
It’s an interesting idea actually...thing is the Kemper Remote is connectable via CAT5 cable and has the ability to use 4 expression pedals. If you used the FX8 you’d have to go midi (which is not necessarily an issue), just the CAT5 powers the Kemper Remote and the Midi cable would not power the FX8, so you’d still need power for the FX8.

Still, an interesting idea. I actually have both and have never tried it.
I have gigs this weekend, so probably won’t have a chance to mess with it.
If YOU have both, give it a try and let us know what happens.

I don't have a FX8.... I only have the Kemper rack and Kemper remote. I don't like the quality of effects in the Kemper, especially the Reverb. I was thinking if I can switch profiles as well with the FX8 I may sell the remote to help a little in funding the FX8.

It is a fantastic match, I have not noticed any tone loss at all. Thought I might post this to help others wanting a stereo setup.

(my setup is for home)

Here is my setup:

Guitar ----> External pedals (Digitech Freqout, etc…) ---> FX8 IN (PRE)
FX8 OUT (PRE) L/Mono ---> Kemper front Instrument input
Kemper Direct Output/ Send ---> FX8 IN (POST) L
FX8 OUT (POST) L ---> Kemper RETURN
FX8 OUT (POST) R --> Kemper Alternative Input

Speakers:
Kemper Master Output Left and Right XLR --> Pair of MAudio BX8s

Cheers

Guitar ----> External pedals (Digitech Freqout, etc…) ---> FX8 IN (PRE)

Speakers:
Kemper Master Output Left and Right XLR --> Pair of MAudio BX8s

Cheers

Thanks for this...gonna have to give it a whirl!!!
Just LOVE the AX8 so much, yet it's always good to have options, as well as backup.

I used to use the 4 cable method to connect the FX8 and the Kemper and also used the FX8 as the Kemper MIDI controller. There were 2 issues that I couldn't deal with and now use only the kemper.

1. The signal does get degraded and the sound gets grainy. But of course, you be the judge. It might be ok for you, it wasn't for me.
2. There's no real spillover in the FX8. The Kemper spillover is fantastic. Also, now the FXs of the Kemper are just as good as the FX8.

If you use the 4CM to connect the 2 units, make sure you select the stereo loop and set the mix at 100%. Also, if going stereo the two cables returning to the Kemper go into the Return and Alternate input.

There's no real spillover in the FX8.

Of course there is. You get spillover every time you turn a delay or reverb on or off, switch scenes, or change presets with compatible architecture.

See "Spillover" in the FX8 manual for details.

As for graininess, it isn't the FX8. It outputs what it inputs and inputs what you output.

I'm not fond of the latency incurred when doing a 4CM interface with a modeler, but it might be livable. When I use the AX8 and FX8 I run guitar->AX8->FX8.

Of course there is. You get spillover every time you turn a delay or reverb on or off, switch scenes, or change presets with compatible architecture.

See "Spillover" in the FX8 manual for details.

As for graininess, it isn't the FX8. It outputs what it inputs and inputs what you output.

I'm not fond of the latency incurred when doing a 4CM interface with a modeler, but it might be livable. When I use the AX8 and FX8 I run guitar->AX8->FX8.

You get spillover within the same preset or if changing presets like you said, you have to have the same compatible architecture, meaning you pretty much have to have the same delay and reverb pedals on the next preset which for me defeats the purpose of changing presets. In my Kemper, I can have a completely different delay and reverb pedals and the trails of the previous preset spill over, which I call a true spillover. I was very disappointed when I figured out that the FX8 couldn't spillover to a different preset with different delay and reverb pedals in the signal. If you've never tried a Kemper, give it a try and you'll hear what I mean.

Will quality of cables use to connect the Kemper with the Fractal in this method have any affect on sound quality? Should I purchase high quality Mogami for this application?

Will quality of cables use to connect the Kemper with the Fractal in this method have any affect on sound quality? Should I purchase high quality Mogami for this application?
Any connections between the Fractal and the Kemper will be line-level, or at least buffered. Under that condition, all correctly-working cables will sound identical, unless they're exceptionally crappy.

OK.... I have it connected per the above posters example:

Guitar -------> FX8 IN (PRE)

Apparently it's working because it's powered on and I can hear the Fractal Reverb when i switch it on/off....

Is there a way to use online software to control/edit effects etc with the fx8 like we could do with fractal axefx 2? and how can i insert the kemper into that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom