Can FM9 control the AxeFX 3?

FullThrottle64

Inspired
This may be a stupid question, but:

Can the FM9 act as a "FC-9" for the Axe FX 3 in addition to operating as a modeller?

Here's what I'm thinking:
Use the FM9 for Amp/Cab modelling
Use the AFX3 as a FX unit
Route the FM9 into a block in the AFX3, i.e., 4CM
Use the top 3 buttons of the FM-9 to select amp/cabinet
Use the bottom 6 buttons of the FM-9 to control Presets and Scenes in the AFX3.

Why? Because this would allow me to logically separate amp/channel selection from FX Preset selection; it would function like a good old tube head with MultiFX in front and in the loop. Right now, the only way I can do this is with really complex MIDI programming; it works, but it's a real pain. This would be much simpler, and would give me an all-Fractal rig. The only downside is some extra cabling from the rack to the pedalboard.

Can it be done, or am I way out in left field?

No, it's not a foot controller. It can send MIDI which the FX3 can respond to or vice versa. The FASLink protocol expects that the FM3, FM9 or FX3 are the host and foot controllers are slaves. Because the units can all send and receive MIDI, one can send to the others and they'll react. Using MIDI is covered in the manuals.

If you're thinking that you can let the FX3 or FM9 share processor/DSP cycles they can't do that. There's no common bus or way to serialize operations. You can use 4CM but there is D/A and A/D conversion happening multiple times which, if nothing else, adds latency.

Last edited:
Why not just get a FC12? Or are you really running out of power with the III?

if it’s the latter, FM3 in a rack drawer controlled by midi, or more sensibly a rack delay and or reverb unit would be easier

Why not just get a FC12? Or are you really running out of power with the III?

if it’s the latter, FM3 in a rack drawer controlled by midi, or more sensibly a rack delay and or reverb unit would be easier
It's not power, it's the inability to switch amp block separately from FX presets.

What I use is 4 buttons to select amp block channel, and the rest of the board to select FX presets. FC-12 cannot do this; MIDI programming is the only way to do it with Axe-FX. MIDI works, but the programming is more complex than something this basic should be

The other alternative is to go back to my Bogner and just use the AxeFX for FX. Thay doesn't give me a single pedalboard, though.

• Haha
Reactions: JTI
I'd like this feature to design all of my presets that will function on both units around this 9 button layout. Yes I can choose to just ignore some buttons but I'm left with an FC-12 I could release back out into the wild if I discover I'm happy with the 9 buttons on the FM9. I've already considered several times selling my FC-12 and buying an FC-6 but in the end opted to keep the 12. I probably wouldn't use the FM9 to control both units at the same time I'd just want it to service in a FC only mode while connected to the III . My flow if I owned both units would most likely be to keep the III racked in my studio and do all m preset work there then when off to rehearsal or a gig use the FM9 100% untethered so no computer with me so all editing, preset switching, etc done standalone. Then when I get back home hook a cable back up to my FM9 and away I go. We'll see if such a mode emerges.

Also; I think the FM units being able to serve double duty as controllers for the III would be killer. So there's that, too :D

Hmm … why not? Connect FM9 MIDI Out to III’s MIDI In. Connect FM9 SPDIF Out to III’s SPDIF In. Use Send MIDI block on FM9 to send MIDI CCs and PCs, and configure the III to process those CCs in its MIDI/Remote menu. The devices can’t share power but you can combine the power of each.

Hmm … why not? Connect FM9 MIDI Out to III’s MIDI In. Connect FM9 SPDIF Out to III’s SPDIF In. Use Send MIDI block on FM9 to send MIDI CCs and PCs, and configure the III to process those CCs in its MIDI/Remote menu. The devices can’t share power but you can combine the power of each.
That would potentially work, but you would have to manually configure each MIDI command sequence (not a big deal if it's all Presets and Scenes), and the AFX3 Scene names wouldn't show up on the FM-9.

It would be a heck of a lot easier than the approach I'm using today, using MIDI command strings to discretely control each block in a "kitchen sink" preset.

It just seems clunky, though. Why isn't there a way to use a single controller to operate two Fractal devices via Faslink?

That would potentially work, but you would have to manually configure each MIDI command sequence (not a big deal if it's all Presets and Scenes), and the AFX3 Scene names wouldn't show up on the FM-9.

It would be a heck of a lot easier than the approach I'm using today, using MIDI command strings to discretely control each block in a "kitchen sink" preset.

It just seems clunky, though. Why isn't there a way to use a single controller to operate two Fractal devices via Faslink?
Kind of is a way! MIDI as @yek said. Faslink is specialized and awesome. MIDI is universal and super handy. If one unit is in the rack, do you need the scenes to show up there? If you had two Faslink ports on the FC12, you'd be introducing more cables where one is nice, I'd think.

Might be a nice feature request to have the system exclusive MIDI do syncing up between units?

Why isn't there a way to use a single controller to operate two Fractal devices via Faslink?
This ^^^

I would love to see a FASLINK II Breakout Box that has a USB A host port and connects via USB to any Fractal unit, and has the FASLINK II connector to send conrtol surface events (switches, attached pedals, attached stand-in switches) received by the device it is connected to to downstream devices, so that an FM9 and any FCs attached to it could direct the downstream device.

Bonus points if it also has a USB B jack that can break out the attached device's audio in digital form for flexibility of use in the grid of the downstream device. Yes, it has SPDIF which will work, and given a dedicated SPDIF IN/OUT block, this would work also.

Also very open to an expansion of the MIDI spec that allows the desired control to work via MIDI, since that would allow a DAW to record controller events and play them back to help with reamping or other post-production uses....

Last edited:
Kind of is a way! MIDI as @yek said. Faslink is specialized and awesome. MIDI is universal and super handy. If one unit is in the rack, do you need the scenes to show up there? If you had two Faslink ports on the FC12, you'd be introducing more cables where one is nice, I'd think.

Might be a nice feature request to have the system exclusive MIDI do syncing up between units?
That's how it already works with the upper-end MIDI controllers. Axe-FX 3 accepts SysEx commands and returns data (names, state, tuner data, etc.) via bi-diriectional MIDI.

Honestly, if I could do it with the same sort of MIDI interface I use today it would be great....but that would be a big ask from Fractal to support MIDI in for Scene and Preset names and states, etc.

That's how it already works with the upper-end MIDI controllers. Axe-FX 3 accepts SysEx commands and returns data (names, state, tuner data, etc.) via bi-diriectional MIDI.

Honestly, if I could do it with the same sort of MIDI interface I use today it would be great....but that would be a big ask from Fractal to support MIDI in for Scene and Preset names and states, etc.
Please pardon my naivety on the existing functionality! I'm quite MIDI savvy but have only explored rudimentary functionality with the Fractal gear. I think @Joe Bfstplk is onto an interesting idea with a breakout. I imagine that would help the guitar techs out there on tour. Perhaps you?

Back
Top Bottom