Can FM3 Do This?

pkdawg

I'm considering purchasing the FM3 and want to make sure it can do what I'm looking to do.

I'd like to create a preset w/ 8 Scenes and a tuner option. I know I can press a switch and it will go to the second level Scene or hold it to get the 3rd scene. When holding the switch does it activate the 3rd scene upon holding or is it upon lift the foot? Ideally, it would be while lifting the foot so I can hold it down until I need it to activate it

Also, if I wanted to go from the second level scene on Switch 3 to second level scene on Switch 1, do I double tap that Switch 1 or is there a single press way of doing that? From what I've seen is that when going back to any Switch it defaults back to the 1st level scene.

Lastly can wah or pitch shift(whammy) be set on any scene sitting quietly in the background until I move an expression pedal?

If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

1663254615468.png

I have a lead on a FM9, but want to keep it simple if possible with the FM3, but at the same time not overly complicated using the FM3 asking it to do more than it should reasonably.

If you have a hold function added to a switch, then it will change when you lift up your foot (for both short and long presses). If you only have a toggle or just one command only, it switches when you press the button down. In your setup with both toggle and hold, because there's a hold, all changes will happen when you release the switch.

You can assign wah/whammy/etc to an expression pedal and have inactive when you have the heel down (or toe down if that's your preference). You can set the percentage before it activates (5% travel, 10% travel, etc). This will work regardless of scene. However, you can't really assign more than one effect to a single expression pedal and still have them available in all scenes using the pedal to activate them (otherwise you'll be activating both effects at the same time). If you've got two expression pedals, one for each, then that's fine.

Slight correction to the first reply: the hold function activates while you're holding it, not after you release the switch. Everything else is spot on.

I'd also add that you add a primary and secondary scene the tap funciton, so if you find you need to go to Lead from Dirty Chorus more often that to Dirty Rhythm from Dirty Chorus, you can remap FS1 to have Lead as the primary and Dirty Rhythm as your secondary.

Alternatively, you can set up "views", which are essentially 4 different groups of footswitch settings (each "layout" on the FM3 consists of 4 3-FS views, and it defaults to View 1). And each View can be slightly different based on your need for the song. So you could essentially have 4 different footswitch configurations within one preset (you'd have to configure a way to switch Views, though, so you may need to sacrifice a hold function; perhaps consolidate "Dirty 2nd Fast Chorus" to the Hold (toggle) function of Delay Rhythm.

Lots of options, and even more if you are open to incorporating additional footswitches or even MIDI.

My own setup, I use MIDI via Bluetooth from my iPad running OnSong: When I change to a song, it will change presets, change scenes, turn on or off blocks, and, if applicable, adjust parameters, such as the pitch shifting on the Virtual Capo on the Pitch block, for instance. Then, each preset uses "per preset" switches, meaning I can customize every FS for every preset. It's wonderful.

This is probably too much information for you right now, but when your FM3 comes and you start to understand it a little better, it'll all make sense :)

You may be missing the comprehension of switch layouts and views.

The FM3 has 9 (I believe) layouts and 4 views per layout which equals 108 switches with 2 functions each.

To accomplish what you wish to do with scenes; after you select your preset you can go to the scene layout where, typically, scenes 1-3 will be available via tap function. You and advance the view by holding switch three (switch 1 hold will go through views in reverse order) which will give access to scenes 4-6. Repeat for scenes 7,8 and tuner. One more hold of switch 3 will give access to three more functions which can be anything you choose (effect, control switch, preset, looper, etc.)

Typically, the hold functions of the switches are used to navigate layouts and views, and not to access an effect, preset, or scene.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom