Can external/stand-in switches follow layouts?

Promit

Inspired
I've been going over the user manual and I don't know if I've misunderstood something. Basically, I can use stand-in switches to configure external switches to act as a specific switch in a specific layout. Ok, cool. But can I configure the externals to act as a numbered switch in the current layout? So in this scheme, SW2 Tip would always take on the functionality of switch 11 in the current layout, just like if it were a switch coming from an FC. I'm not seeing a way to make that happen.

that is not how it works currently.

it "stands in" for a specific switch on a specific layout. so it's always "layout 3 switch 2" for example. changing layouts on the FM3 itself wouldn't affect that because the stand in is always "layout 3 switch 2."

That's disappointing and quite limiting.
personally, i love that it doesn't change. less for me to setup and i always know what it's set to as there is no LCD screen. without a screen on the external switch, i can see a lot of support questions asking why their external isn't doing what they expect it to.

i think there was discussion about implementing the feature you mentioned in the future.

personally, i love that it doesn't change.
Presumably enough people love it this way for it to be this way. But if the Layout selector included a "Current" option alongside the regular layouts, that would be enough UI to provide the alternate behavior.

Presumably enough people love it this way for it to be this way. But if the Layout selector included a "Current" option alongside the regular layouts, that would be enough UI to provide the alternate behavior.
what switch number would it mimic when you change layouts? the same number, or would you need to additionally choose a different switch number when the "current" layout changes?

what switch number would it mimic when you change layouts? the same number, or would you need to additionally choose a different switch number when the "current" layout changes?
The way I'm thinking about using it, fixing the number would be fine. Basically what I'm going for is I would add a dual button foot switch and set them to stand-in Layout = "Current", Switch = 11 and 12. Now whatever layout I'm in, those external buttons are hooked to whatever is set for tap and hold actions are set on 11 and 12 in the active layout. (They would not care about current view either, too complicated.) This way I can do things like set SW2 Tip as a "back button" to transition from Scenes -> Presets, and Presets -> MstrLayout.

One thing you can do though is to do a preset override. I have my 2 stand-in switches set for layout 9, switch 11 and 12. And you can program a per-preset override and override the function of those switches for the current preset. It wouldn't do exactly what you said you wanted but might give you a way to work around it.

I've been thinking of wanting layout specific functions as well. For instance, I'd love to be able to do bank up/down on my 2 stand-in switches when I'm on my preset select layout, select scene 4-5 on my scenes layout, view +/- when I'm on my Effects layout. I think there's definitely scenarios like that, that would not be confusing at all and would add flexibility.

One thing you can do though is to do a preset override. I have my 2 stand-in switches set for layout 9, switch 11 and 12. And you can program a per-preset override and override the function of those switches for the current preset. It wouldn't do exactly what you said you wanted but might give you a way to work around it.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm going to do with it. Gonna have to make it work. I just find it very unfortunate that I can't do what I expected to, which was add two more buttons that also have layout-controlled functionality. I think it would be a fairly straightforward feature to add. I would be really happy if I could set the buttons to PP1/2 in Scenes and Effects but Bank Up/Down in Presets.

Last edited:
I'd like to be able to use the two external switch like inc/dec depending of current layout:
  • presets layout: bank inc/dec
  • scenes layout: view inc/dec
  • fx layout: view inc/dec
Is there a workaround to do this?

I'd like to be able to use the two external switch like inc/dec depending of current layout:

No, the only thing you can do is per-preset overrides so if you can figure how to create different presets and have one preset where you only change scenes, and another preset where you only change views, and other presets that change between presets it will work. But you can‘t have different functions within the same preset.

This is basically one scheme I was thinking of as well, disappointing that it's not possible right now.

Older thread but was wondering if this was changed in any of the more recent updates? I’m relatively new to Fractal gear so forgive me if it’s a silly question.
Cheers

No. Stand in switch assignments are global and once you set them up, it is as if they are set to a specific switch in a specific layout.

I have two Ampero Switches and an Ampero Control for a total of 8 external switches. The Switches are set for hold functions to call up layouts. Switch 1 is Scenes/FX and Switch 2 is Presets/Looper. Tap functions are View +\- on #1 and Bank +\- on #2. The Ampero Control does Scene Select +\- on buttons 1/2 and Tuner/Tap Tempo on 3/4. My expression pedal runs off the Control as well. I also use other banks on the Control to do channel switching on blocks for auditioning sounds when I’m creating presets.

Last edited:
I have two Ampero Switches and an Ampero Control for a total of 8 external switches. The Switches are set for hold functions to call up layouts. Switch 1 is Scenes/FX and Switch 2 is Presets/Looper. Tap functions are View +\- on #1 and Bank +\- on #2. The Ampero Control does Scene Select +\- on buttons 1/2 and Tuner/Tap Tempo on 3/4. My expression pedal runs off the Control as well. I also use other banks on the Control to do channel swatching on blocks for auditioning sounds when I’m creating presets.

I have the Ampero Switches and Control and used to do something similar and it worked well. I wanted an arrangement that was more compact with a smaller board so I replaced the Ampero Control with a Disaster Area Designs Midi Baby. It only has one switch which I use for tap tempo, tuner and expression pedal input through midi into the FM3. I would have loved to use the 3 switch Midi Baby but it just would have gotten in the way of the expression pedal. As for the Switches, I'll quote a recent post of mine of someone asking how I use my Switches;

I use the 4 switches as stand-in switches. From left to right...

Switch 1 is tap to increment views and hold to decrement views.
Switch 2 is tap to show scenes and hold to show presets.
Switch 3 is tap to show effects and hold to show channels.
Switch 4 is tap to show control switches and hold to show looper.

I really like this arrangement. Works great. For me. I don't gig anymore. If I was gigging with it, I might set it up differently. But for home use, creating, experimenting, recording, I like it. I pick a function with a switch... then I either select something on the FM3 or... page up or down with Switch 1 then select something on the FM3. It makes sense to me. I can get around on it pretty fast like this. Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom