Can Cat3 cable be used to make a 7pin MIDI cable?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I know Cat5 and Cat6 cable can be used to make a 7pin MIDI cable but can Cat3 be used? The power requirements are 12v AC or DC and 1000ma.

Yes, but why use cat3 if cat5 or 6 is readily available all over the place, better and maybe even cheaper (but at this price point I don't think one should bother...)

Yes, but why use cat3 if cat5 or 6 is readily available all over the place, better and maybe even cheaper (but at this price point I don't think one should bother...)

I have at least 100ft of Cat3 and was trying to find some use for it but wasn't sure if it could handle phantom power.

You could also use multi-conductor low-voltage cable such as irrigation valve wire. It's pretty cheap, and is very durable.

Cat3 cable was able to use the original PoE standard which allowed 15.4 W to be supplied. So it should be fine, as you are looking at 12 W.

Cat3 cable was able to use the original PoE standard which allowed 15.4 W to be supplied. So it should be fine, as you are looking at 12 W.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be able to use CAT3 cable for a 7pin MIDI Cable because I ended up having to use a more powerful power adapter than the one that came with my Pro+. My 7pin MIDI cables are between 15ft to 20ft and my Pro+ wasn't getting enough current, so it wouldn't power up all the way. FAMC recommended I use a 12VAC or 12VDC with 1.5A power adapter. What's strange is that I tried using other power adapters with the same specs as the FAMC and they worked. The only difference was that the ones that worked were physically bigger. I have one that's double the size and another that's triple the size. I don't know how power adapters work but I didn't think physical size mattered.

I decided to test how many amps my Pro+ uses and it maxed out at 500ma, so I made a 7pin MIDI cable out of CAT3 cable and it worked. Something must be wrong with my FAMC power adapter because it's power isn't stable.

Back
Top Bottom