Can both sets of Out 1 sockets be used at once?

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question - but I'm at work and have no access to my man cave toys and manuals ......

Now that I've got a MFC, I'm finally putting in an order to Vafam for a front connection panel and just want to know it's definitely ok to have permanent tails from the panel plugged into both the xlr balanced and TS unbalanced outs of the Axe output 1? IE Plugging into the unbalanced doesn't disable the xlrs or vice versa?

Question 2
I'm also considering adding an input for the MFC power supply (or similar rated one) on this panel right next door to the 7 pin MIDI in connector. I was thinking this DC/VDC or whatever it is power input could then be wired directly to the 2 power carrying pins of the MIDI socket on the rear of the panel (somehow) - so that would bypass the need to use the input for the power adaptor in the back of the Axe and protect it from ever blowing that little board it has inside.

I'll be using Faslink and/or Cat 5 as first preferences for communication with the MFC but just want a MIDI connection option available for emergencies - so rather than fumble about in the back of the rack to plug stuff in I'll have a power in at the front.

I'll need a new power adaptor with a longer cable to reach this panel input as it will likely be up off the ground a bit too far for the MFC's included adaptor's cable. Anyone know the safe voltage and amperage of the MFC's power input off hand? 9 volt I'm sure - but is it VDC or something else and what amperage can I use?

Thanks

Yes you can use all 4 outputs at the same time.

MFC psu is 9v 1000mA.
The manual say that more then 1000mA WILL damage your MFC.

I have a vafam panel on mine in a portable 3U rack back. I carry it all over the place with the connections always in. I'd recommend keeping your MIDI jacks located far away from the audio ones, as the MIDI data signal can crosstalk into the audio cables if they're close to each other (I'm having that issue with mine. I added MIDI after the fact and they're right next to my Out 1/2 jacks).

If you're using the Cat5 connection, there's no need for a separate power line from the Axe. If you use other floorboards, the power rating most likely won't be correct for them anyway. Cat5 is way simpler than MIDI with a power line (1 cable instead of 3), and with the Ethercon plugs, it's very secure.

Nice info re. positioning - I've spec'ed a 16 hole panel so there's room for blanks to separate ins, outs and floorboard related i/o connections. I kept all separated by genre so hopefully it will be ok.

The way they assemble the connectors looks as if you could un-bolt some and change their positions if you've crosstalk. Maybe it's not that easy though?

The power input is just insurance and hopefully I'll never have to use it. I've got the Faslink converter .... so can use it or straight ethernet from the panel.

Nice info re. positioning - I've spec'ed a 16 hole panel so there's room for blanks to separate ins, outs and floorboard related i/o connections. I kept all separated by genre so hopefully it will be ok.

The way they assemble the connectors looks as if you could un-bolt some and change their positions if you've crosstalk. Maybe it's not that easy though?

The power input is just insurance and hopefully I'll never have to use it. I've got the Faslink converter .... so can use it or straight ethernet from the panel.

If you're ever in such a bind where both Ethercon and FASlink don't work, then you're probably OK to just plug that into the back.

Yeah, you can unscrew/rescrew the connections. I just haven't gotten around to it. I have text labels on the jacks, and I'm dreading trying to peel those off and shift them without ruining them.

The manual say that more then 1000mA WILL damage your MFC.

Wrong! Do not confuse current and voltage. The power supply must be able to provide 1000 mA that the MFC can work properly.

You can also use a power supply 9V / 10A or 100 A, however, it is slightly heavier :).

Wrong! Do not confuse current and voltage. The power supply must be able to provide 1000 mA that the MFC can work properly.

You can also use a power supply 9V / 10A or 100 A, however, it is slightly heavier :).
Not according to the manual:

The Manual said:
WARNING: Do NOT connect adapters with a rating higher than 1A (1000ma)
That's if you're using the Axe to supply phantom power to the MFC. If you exceed that, you can damage the Axe itself.

Reactions: Ole
I was aware that the AxeFX internal phantom power board between the adaptor input and the MIDI In socket was only safe rated for 1A current - anything over that tended to blow it. That was enough to make me think never to use it and have a 9 volt VAC power supply (in)directly wired to the MIDI In chassis on the VaFam panel if complete disaster happened and I lost FasLink or Cat5 connectivity.

My only concern therefore was there also a safe current/amperage rating on the MFC MIDI out socket as I'd probably be using a third party non Fractal supplied 9V VAC power adaptor with a longer cable to be able to reach from a power strip on the floor to the Vafam front panel.

Searching the forum brought up reports of some using higher amperages than 1A when connecting to the MFC via it's own power in socket ..... so was a little confused.

It's not a problem now because after putting Hans to some trouble to even find the 2.5mm input chassis we both then were unsure of any polarity issues when wiring the power to pins 6 and 7 of the MIDI chassis. My thought was as it's AC current then polarity was not going to be an issue .... but not 100% sure on that. So I just told Hans to forget that particular feature and I'll dive in the back of my rack if I ever need to revert back to phantom powerd MIDI. Hopefully that will never be required!

On the up side - if you are getting a Vafam front panel made, Hans now knows where to get the 2.5 mm input chassis if you want to use one (and you know what to instruct what gets wired to pins 6 and 7 of the MIDI socket!)

Ohm's Law?
Exactly. The problem is what can happen if the power supply is inadvertently shorted. That can happen easily if, for instance, a USB cable is inserted into the Axe's RJ-45 socket (it fits there almost perfectly, and it's easy to do when you reach around behind the Axe to plug it in). In that case, the power supply dumps all the current it's capable of through the Axe, frying the ferrite bead inside, killing the phantom power function and generating a nasty smell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom