Can Axe III do a horn sound?

I’m traveling now so I can’t test, but will this work on FM3?

I can’t wait to try that Sax-like suggestion as well!
I was able to massage this preset and it sounds cool on the FM3. Although some blocks were just hanging out and not in the signal path, i attempted to guess at where they belong. Running at about 72% CPU.

Really cool preset @Admin M@ !

If you read the old (63-part!) Sound on Sound series of articles "Synth Secrets," there is a ton of great info how to use the fundamentals we have in the synth block to approximate certain sounds. It goes to the very basics in terms of what instruments produce certain wave types, why you can't emulate certain sounds without FM synthesis or more complex methods, etc.

And a little off topic as far as horns go, but here's one I was messing with a few years back trying to get the organ sound on the Cure's Lovesong. There are a few other failed synth attempts in here - plucked strings always eluded me somehow.

This is great! I love The Cure. You happen to still have those presets?

I made you a horn preset. It's basically a synth into a tonematch vs. Kontakt's default "Trumpet". I just played a chromatic scale on both instruments and then smoothed it to get the right vibe.

After having played with it for a bit, I find that the question is not, "Can the Axe-Fx sound like a Trumpet?" but "Can I play the guitar so it sounds like a Trumpet player."

The first thing that's missing is breath. I added an expression pedal to control a filter. I still wasn't great at that part.

The second thing that's tough is silence. I added an expression pedal to squeeze the gate threshold so it could make it super choppy at times.

The hardest part is getting the articulations and vibrato "right", especially in a synth with some latency that tends to fight with your sense of swing. So you need to play in an anticipatory way too, and pay close attention to when to play legato vs more punctuated. I quickly had to ditch the pick too, not only for control, but to minimize pitchy burps. Sometimes the glitches and fret ripple work in your favor and cool things happen.

Anyway, it took me a bunch of takes to get close on this, and naturally I'm not happy with my playing. Of course it's also created with a 1-oscillator virtual analog synth, so.... ultimately it sounds like a SYNTH that's maybe evocative of a trumpet. Maybe one of you good guitar players can have some fun. YMMV! Clip and Preset below.

To turn this into a section, I'd probably add another synth voice or two and a little detune, or maybe a Chorus, or maybe set one voice an octave up or down. This gets wonky quickly, though.

PS: I know, it's a flugelhorn rather than a trumpet. So sue me.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9809

Are you kidding me? Is there anything @Admin M@ can't do?

Sounds good to me. If you saw Dune, Guthrie admits he used the synth block and 30 some amount of takes to get that bag pipes sound. I imagine you could get quite a bit of abstract sounds if you tinker hard enough with the modifiers.

I made you a horn preset. It's basically a synth into a tonematch vs. Kontakt's default "Trumpet". I just played a chromatic scale on both instruments and then smoothed it to get the right vibe.

After having played with it for a bit, I find that the question is not, "Can the Axe-Fx sound like a Trumpet?" but "Can I play the guitar so it sounds like a Trumpet player."

The first thing that's missing is breath. I added an expression pedal to control a filter. I still wasn't great at that part.

The second thing that's tough is silence. I added an expression pedal to squeeze the gate threshold so it could make it super choppy at times.

The hardest part is getting the articulations and vibrato "right", especially in a synth with some latency that tends to fight with your sense of swing. So you need to play in an anticipatory way too, and pay close attention to when to play legato vs more punctuated. I quickly had to ditch the pick too, not only for control, but to minimize pitchy burps. Sometimes the glitches and fret ripple work in your favor and cool things happen.

Anyway, it took me a bunch of takes to get close on this, and naturally I'm not happy with my playing. Of course it's also created with a 1-oscillator virtual analog synth, so.... ultimately it sounds like a SYNTH that's maybe evocative of a trumpet. Maybe one of you good guitar players can have some fun. YMMV! Clip and Preset below.

To turn this into a section, I'd probably add another synth voice or two and a little detune, or maybe a Chorus, or maybe set one voice an octave up or down. This gets wonky quickly, though.

Tried to load this numerous times but get <EMPTY> in the preset name.
Other presets load fine...anyone get it to work? FW 20.03

I made a TRUE HORN 💪🏼 (not a Vida Loca horn) with the Axe-FX III, a while ago

That was a response to a challenge at the VGuitar Forum
1660362929730.png
This is the from the VG-99 ship

I have to search the preset. I thought I posted it here, but now but I cannot find it

Last edited:
Tried to load this numerous times but get <EMPTY> in the preset name.
Other presets load fine...anyone get it to work? FW 20.03
That means you're firmware is older than the version the preset was created on.

Just getting to listen... DUDE!

I would not have ever guessed that was a guitar. Amazing!

"Virtuoso castanets by Roy Thomas Baker... and nobody played synthesizer... again."
Ah a Queen quote.
Brian May can emulate many different instruments on his guitar without using a Synth.
Like he did on "Good company" on the "night at the opera" album.

Back
Top Bottom