Can anyone tell me what vocal microphone this is???

Sayt0n

Hi,
I cannot seem to find anything online that looks like this. I know there are studio guys who visit this site so I figured I'd give it a try. Does anyone have any idea what microphone this is??? I know the picture isn't 100% clear and you cant really make up any writing or logo off it. That is why im having some trouble with it. I know it is a vocal microphone. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Microphone.jpg
    Microphone.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 89
Looks kind of like an audio technica condenser mounted on a neumann frame, which is odd so maybe it's a Neumann mic.

At first I thought it was maybe a Neumann U47 as it really resembles it. Problem is that if you look closely, you will notice the top head of the microphone in the picture is completely flat and the U47 is kind of rounded at the top.

Looks like the Avantone BV-12 that I tried a while back. Could also be a Pearlman TM-250. There are a lot of mics that look similar to this...

Last edited:
Cool guys....thanks a lot!! I know its crazy hard to pinpoint exactly which mic this is as its not to clear and we don't even see a logo or writing on the microphone in the pic. All the feedback was greatly appreciated so far though. I'm checking out all your suggestions.

It looks kind of like a Telefunken Ela m 251, or a knock off. Since this miss go for around 20k, I'd guess it would be a copy of one. Telefunken USA makes one for half that price. I've used one several times. It's a great mic. But I don't know what this one is.

You're welcome. :) It's not as well known as companies like Neumann or Telefunken as far as high end condenser mics go, but many people absolutely love them. Sad to say I've never had the pleasure of using one yet. We currently have only one tube mic at our studio and that's the Blue Cactus. Love this mic. ($3,000) But I'd love the opportunity to try out a Bock. I believe the one in your pic is the 241. (Cardioid polar pattern only) The 251 has multiple polar patterns and is a little darker color on the paint job.

Incidentally, if you watch the making of the Foo Fighters' album, "Wasting Light", you can see Dave Grohl using a Bock microphone. Not sure which model though.

This is the video I saw Paramore: Still Into You (Studio Vocals) - YouTube The band is called paramore. This is a behind the scenes of her tracking vocals. The bands album for this song is already out and I really liked the way her vocals sounded. I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea in terms of music, but man can this chick sing(for commercial rock music which is what I record for my own personal band and what I take on in my studio). Jiffzillla, I'll check out that foo fighters video!!! I was looking around and doing some reading online last night and the 251 is supposed to be their flagship microphone and because of the different patterns is also great on other instruments. Both mics are still expensive but I guess it's something I'm gonna start saving up for so it can maybe be a purchase I make in the near future!! Really appreciate everyone's feedback. It got me to see a bunch of cool mics I never had heard of before.

Back
Top Bottom