Can anyone recommend an AX-FX III / FM9 / FM3 preset that most closely replicates the Rockman X100 Clean 1 and Clean 2 settings?

Tritium3H

I recently broke out my original Rockman X100 that I purchased back in 1987/88 period. It still works, and I have not yet done any re-cap or refurbishments.

Damn, that Clean sound is truly special. As I type this (late at night), I admittedly cannot remember if it was the Clean 1 or the Clean 2 setting that knocked my socks off, the other day, when I took the X100 out of storage and threw in some AA batteries.

In any event, one of these Clean settings was absolutely incredible, when played through my Fender YJM Strat, with X100 Low Level Output connected to a Behringer mixer, and then output into a poweramp and then an FRFR monitor.

I suspect it was the Clean 2 setting, which does not have a cab simulation active in the circuit. There is something special going on here, with some beautiful compression (perhaps multi-stage?). For clean electric guitar, the notes just jumped off the fretboard. A really chimey, singing clean tone...just beautiful.

So, I imagine the secret to nailing this tone is the compression, the EQ, and that special Tom Scholtz chorus.

Anyone heard anything in the Gen 3 Fractal ecosystem that gets close and that they would recommend?

EDIT -- Whoops, this perhaps should have been posted in the preset sub-forum. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Thank @Burgs for these;
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9113
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7281

Pauly
I recently broke out my original Rockman X100 that I purchased back in 1987/88 period. It still works, and I have not yet done any re-cap or refurbishments.

Damn, that Clean sound is truly special. As I type this (late at night), I admittedly cannot remember if it was the Clean 1 or the Clean 2 setting that knocked my socks off, the other day, when I took the X100 out of storage and threw in some AA batteries.

In any event, one of these Clean settings was absolutely incredible, when played through my Fender YJM Strat, with X100 Low Level Output connected to a Behringer mixer, and then output into a poweramp and then an FRFR monitor.

I suspect it was the Clean 2 setting, which does not have a cab simulation active in the circuit. There is something special going on here, with some beautiful compression (perhaps multi-stage?). For clean electric guitar, the notes just jumped off the fretboard. A really chimey, singing clean tone...just beautiful.

So, I imagine the secret to nailing this tone is the compression, the EQ, and that special Tom Scholtz chorus.

Anyone heard anything in the Gen 3 Fractal ecosystem that gets close and that they would recommend?

EDIT -- Whoops, this perhaps should have been posted in the preset sub-forum. Sorry about that.

I'm surprised that a little easter egg was not yet discovered: the much discussed RockMeOn Cleans preset is now in the FM9 factory bank at #358.

Attachments

• RockMeOn Cleans FM9_20221004_101326.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 24
tbh, I'm totally overwhelmed by the huge number of factory presets. their names don't give away a lot of info as to what to expect. maybe some food for thought
There is a good wiki page here https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets . If you haven't ever read through it they do a great job explaining the subtle and/or drastic differences between preset on the various units along with some guidance on how to use the preset and also include some background. For preset #103 you get this:

103 - ROCKMEON CLN2 | ROCKMEON CLEANS FM9 | ROCKMEON CLEAN (FM3)
The heavily compressed and chorused "Clean 2" sound of the legendary Rockman analog headphones amplifier (developed by Tom Scholz, now owned by Dunlop), which was popular in the '80s. Demo by Leon Todd Uses a Tone Match block instead of a cab block (not on FM3 and FM9, replaced with PEQ). Amp: USA Pre. Scenes are different per device.

I'm gonna guess calling the preset "Rockman Cleans" or "Tom Scholz Cleans" involves way too much legal stuff to navigate. But I think ROCKMEON is a pretty good clue!

There is a good wiki page here https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets . If you haven't ever read through it they do a great job explaining the subtle and/or drastic differences between preset on the various units along with some guidance on how to use the preset and also include some background. For preset #103 you get this:

103 - ROCKMEON CLN2 | ROCKMEON CLEANS FM9 | ROCKMEON CLEAN (FM3)
The heavily compressed and chorused "Clean 2" sound of the legendary Rockman analog headphones amplifier (developed by Tom Scholz, now owned by Dunlop), which was popular in the '80s. Demo by Leon Todd Uses a Tone Match block instead of a cab block (not on FM3 and FM9, replaced with PEQ). Amp: USA Pre. Scenes are different per device.

I'm gonna guess calling the preset "Rockman Cleans" or "Tom Scholz Cleans" involves way too much legal stuff to navigate. But I think ROCKMEON is a pretty good clue!
It's not so much that it's not an almost-obvious name (it is). It's just that there are so many presets. That's definitely a good thing but it shouldn't be surprising if people miss Easter eggs in the presets let alone the scenes.

thx a lot for the great wiki link ! that ROCKMEON preset name didn't trigger the right clues on my end, maybe that's due to the fact that I'm not a native speaker. Anyways, thanks again for the good info

Wow! Having that Rockman sound in a FM9, brings joy to my old school 80's rock.
Love that first Boston record, and I even had the Sustainer years ago.
Looking forward to the arrival of my FM9 and spending time with those amazing presets.

I had two Rockman Sustainors and a Midi Octopus in the back of my rack in the 80s. The front of that rack included a rack-mounted Boogie Mk 3 black stripe, and an MP1 and yet the first rock module supplied most of my cleans and module two supplied semi-clean and crunch rhythm. (I miss that edge/semi clean setting most of all.)

Guitar players would frequently comment on how good my Boogie sounded in the mix out front, and I'd ask "which song in particular?". I can't tell you how many times I'd bring them up on stage and shine a flashlight in the back of my rack and show them the sustainors.

Back
Top Bottom