Can anyone post a video of Axe 2 Vs. YJM100?

romeorose

I am thinking about buying a new Axe 2, I used to have the standard a few years ago and sold it.
I am in love with the tones of the Marshall YJM100 Yngwie Malmsteen head and I want to know how close can the Axe 2's tone matching & mimic etc come to the YJM100 at this point?

I would love to listen to any clips you can post that can pull that tone off.

Thanks,
RR

If you're talking a direct recording, I think the Axe II can cop just about any tone. If you're talking live through a guitar cab, I think alot of it will rely on what power amp you are using. I use a Carvin power amp, and from my experience you can get very very close (yes, I compared to an actual YJM100).

Last edited:
If you're talking a direct recording, I think the Axe II can cop just about any tone. If you're talking live through a guitar cab, I think alot of it will rely on what power amp you are using. I use a Carvin power amp, and from my experience you can get very very close.

I'm only talking about direct. I believe it can be done. But I just haven't heard anyone prove it yet, and would like to hear it before I buy.

Wow! 'the' Romeo Rose
....and here I thought it was pretty awesome when Dweezil Zappa and Danny Spitz posted on here

Some would disagree:

"On a scalloped neck fingertips can more easily grip the strings and this highly facilitate some of the guitar playing techniques like bendings, pull offs, tapping, etc. Scalloping also have some impact on the whole guitar tone due to the increased space between the string and the fretboard which enhances volume."

A scalloped fingerboard does not affect tone.

Some would disagree:

"On a scalloped neck fingertips can more easily grip the strings and this highly facilitate some of the guitar playing techniques like bendings, pull offs, tapping, etc. Scalloping also have some impact on the whole guitar tone due to the increased space between the string and the fretboard which enhances volume."

You can always find an objector, to any subject. Having owned, played and scalloped guitars, there is no difference in tone.

A scalloped fingerboard does not affect tone.

+1

I've been playing scalloped fretboards for 25+ years (though I'm neither a Malmsteen or Blackmore fan) and of the guitars that didn't come scalloped, I have never noticed any difference in tone after having them scalloped. The amount of misinformation about scalloping that one runs into seems to be most often put forth by those who haven't played or spent any significant time playing scalloped fretboards.

Last edited:
Isn't that only a '59 Plexi with a DOD overdrive built in?

Yes. Basically. I'm sure Malmsteen prefers the 50 watt setting on that amp, (as stated in video about , "his personal settings") and "I know" he prefers the the original 50 watt counterpart heads from the early 70's ('72-'73)... but used the PC board models as well from that era.

just to add and reaffirm... I played and have scalloped many necks and "no", scalloping a neck does not changed the tone.

Last edited:
I saw a video where Yngwie describe his rig and present his signature Marshall. It's funny because it's on stage but he dosen't play it, he use his 50 watts. He says there's a boost function, but he dosen't use it (still use his DOD pedal). There's an integrated noise gate, but he dosen't use it (still use his Boss noise gate). In fact, he only put his name on an amp he never play and put it at view on stage for obvious marketing purpose. Still, the YJM100 sounds good. Vintage hotrod Marshall kind of tone.

Many have stated Marshall does not pay endorsers. They give away free gear, but no payments. For Yngwie it was probably a ego trip people still care 25 years later.

I sold my YJM100 + 1960BX cab for the Axe II... never looked back since then :)
Similar tones are absolutely possible, the YJM100 is nothing but a 100W Plexi with a built-in boost based on the DOD YJM308 or the old grey DOD 250, and also a built-in power attenuator.

Back
Top Bottom