Can anyone learn to play guitar?

Can anyone learn to play guitar?

• Total voters
What about someone who plays one note, but the tone and expression are to die for and it fits the song perfectly. So much of playing music/guitar is in the emotion of the player.

In a crude sort of way I'd say yes anyone can learn to play guitar just as anyone can be a painter. The difference IMO is who is capable of being a 'Da Vinci' and who is going to be a house painter. It is the same in music, some folks come by it naturally and some folks will just NEVER get it no matter how hard they work at it.

I think anyone could learn to play guitar. However, I think we all have certain innate abilities (or lack of) that will partially determine what level as a player that we have the potential for. Practice is only part of the equation.

I have a friend that will freely admit that he is "musically challenged". With practice, I still think he could eventually learn some simple songs. Would he ever be able to play by ear, jam with other musicians, create an interesting arrangement, be able to hear harmony and intervals, etc.? Maybe, but it would take a considerable amount of more work to get to that level that many of us on this forum.

We also have varying amounts of these innate abilities that help us with learning guitar. I was blessed with the natural ability to think musically (playing by ear, being able to create a part that fits with what others are playing, being able to "hear" note relationships, etc.). However, I struggle with the physical aspect. I'm sure there are many players that are much more gifted in terms of left and right hand technique. I have to work at it more. It comes with practice, but I may never reach the level of players such as Satriani because of it.

Most anyone that is physically able can at least learn - in some degree - to play the guitar. There is a massive amount of depth to be considered here in terms of what level of accomplishment is necessary to clear the 'learn to play' barrier of course; but at least some level most everyone can learn something to play on the guitar.

There's the physical rote learning that I think most people can get if they put in the time, but theoretically the guitar is just a tool we use to make music. To me the more important question is whether someone hears, feels and is sufficiently motivated by music to become a musician. I think most people have some music in them, but fear, shame and a lack of embracing that musicality in our culture makes the distinction between musician and non-musician much more distinct than in some cultures. In a lot of African cultures, everybody is considered musical. There's not such a distinction between the audience and players.

i used to teach primary school kids (ages 8-11) and out of a sample of 60 kids, i had two or three who were genuinely talented and the rest could have achieved something with some regular practice and dedication. but of those, i had maybe two or three who in my opinion would just never get it...no matter how hard they tried...they just didn't seem to have the facility. they could just about play one or two notes with one finger and never got any better. that seemed to be the limit of their ability. so i voted "no"

Joe Satriani once walked out of band class claiming it was all bullshit and later had to talk the teacher into letting him back in the class. Do you suppose his teacher thought he was a hopeless case?

I just don't put stock in natural ability/affinity determining how great or successful a person can be. It's absolutely about determination.

I played french horn from 6th grade all the way to college. When I was a senior in high school, I realized I was TERRIBLE. I was so bad that I thought I was playing the notes, but as it turns out sometimes I would change fingerings and still be playing the same note. But nobody had ever told me that. After a few weeks with proper instruction with a college professor, it made WAY more sense and I was actually performing at a high school level.

When I hit college, I was so bad that I was in a private lesson with my college professor and he said, "Have you ever tried Tuba?" After some back and forth, I finally submitted to trying it out. Without ever even holding a Tuba and with his coaching on fingerings + playing the notes on piano, I proceeded to play the entire range of the instrument. It was one of the easiest things I had ever done. Am I now a tuba player? Nope. With that kind of "natural talent" I should be playing with some symphony by now, but the lack of interest on my part ultimately determined that I would not be involved in brass very much longer.

On the flip side of that, I couldn't fret a note on guitar when I started. With 0 instruction other than from books, I taught myself how to emulate the sounds on records and inside a year a buddy and I had written a 5 minute instrumental song, hand-wrote 3 copies of the sheet music, and competed in a regional competition next to brass ensembles.

Talent has nothing to do with learning an instrument if you put the time in.

I should also mention-

It's all intrinsic

if someone wants to learn - you can't stop them.

All sorts of parents and 'stage dads' trying to cram guitar into their kids life- expensive beginner guitars... private lessons....

fk that shit

if someone really wants to learn guitar in 2013- just get them a guitar, and an internet connection. that's all they'll need- if they want to learn it- they have all the tools they need.

I wanted to learn guitar VERY badly- and i started playing guitar in 1999 and no one i knew played.
I got a GUITARONE magazine before i ever touched a guitar and learned to play from there. With the help of the internet and a few books here and there- that's all I needed.

So I don't think everyone can play
and I don't think everyone really wants to play

I have been teaching for a long time. I think anyone can learn up to the level they desire. Some are very happy just to lean a few chords. Others want to learn to do more, and work hard at it. I think it looks a lot easier than it is so many get discouraged when faced with the reality of how much work it takes to become a proficient player.

When I was in school, there were people who never cracked a book but seemed to do OK. Others, like me, had to work at it, but did OK. I have never been a genius, but hard work pays off.

Last edited:
And in all that time you never came across anyone with no sense of rhythm. Not only unable to play in time, but can't hear that they are not playing in time? Count yourself lucky :)

Some are gifted and have it where things just click and... some don't and have to work extremely hard at it (that's me: I had to work my ass off, overcoming some major obstacles to get where I am with the lovely/stupid thing). For me it can be a love, hate sort of thing... kind of like golf... :lol

Lots of people missing limbs learn to play and play quite well... so yes, anyone can play guitar if they have the drive. :encouragement:

I look at like reading and books. Some people learn to read sooner than others, some have a knack for reading, some love books, some dont. Some read faster and comprehend more, some get bored after just a few pages or chapters. But for those that do read, and do like books, its enjoyable in and of itself. Some are further along in the book, but that alone should not determine our own satisfaction with reading the book, we should love it because it brings happiness.

For me, I work on my skills and musical knowledge all the time. I've never been a good at reading music - but I've begun playing in musicals (local theater) to force myself to do it, and gain experience in areas outside of my comfort zone. I've studied scales, and theory, and modes.... but typically I come back to the old faithful of pentatonic minor boxes... but I still work diligently on everything from jazz, to classical, to country (but no bebop yet!). I play in several bands, and people tell me I'm pretty good, but for me I feel like I am still learning, trying to catch up for all those years I didn't play (raising kids, career, house, marriage...). So ultimately I love to learn and grow, but I recognize that I don't have that natural talent the so many guys I've met over the years. However it doesn't stop me from trying.

I think anyone can learn to play something, but to be good at guitar takes persistence and dedication, or just lucky enough to be a natural.

I've had too much coffee..

No, not anyone can play guitar. Guitarists are born with the skills to play guitar. They are usually genetically modified, and they are a superior subset of human species!

J/K :)

Back
Top Bottom