Can Anyone Help With This Sound? Got It!

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
The sequenced section of Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good". I hate to ask, I can usually create what I need but I'm under the gun with this one and there's plenty of guys here more skilled than I. I spent a little time with it and came up with this preset but it's only reminiscent of the part. I play staccato 1/8th notes on the 5th string with the sequencer modifier on the wah. Any help with getting it there would be GREATLY appreciated, thx!

Attachments

• Life's Been Good.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
i wouldn't use the wah, i'd use a high pass filter. it might help if you could fill in some details...

do you need to be able to play the lead at the same time, or is another guitarist doing that?

are you happy for the sequence to play itself (timing may be an issue if the drummer can't hear it), or do you think you'll need to retrigger it manually?

you could use a synth block to generate a tone for you (i think it stays on A for the whole section, yes?) and use a random lfo to control the filter and the sequencer to control the volume. it could run by itself with the synth voice set to tracking = off. use an external controller to turn on the synth and "run" the lfo and sequencer. alternatively, use an expression pedal to control the overall volume and another external switch to retrigger the lfo and sequencer. lots of different possibilities...you'll have to fill in exactly how you want to use it (the easiest way may be different from what you're doing now)

edit - i can't check you're patch as i'm still on the II

wow, it gets pretty deep, lol. i'm only concerned with being able to play this part (not the lead), in real time. hardest thing for me is getting the sequencer right. I don't mind tapping the tempo to stay in time. I'll mess with the hpf.

Maybe you could try controlling the lpf with envelope, so you don’t need to rely on the sequencer

i'm getting pretty close using a bandpass controlled by the envelope. just really difficult to play accurately. gotta run to a gig, certainly gonna pick up on this tomorrow, thx!!

although i think there's only one note involved, so attaching pitch to frequency might not be the best solution in this case (cool idea though...i'll have to try that!)

although i think there's only one note involved, so attaching pitch to frequency might not be the best solution in this case (cool idea though...i'll have to try that!)
that's the way it's done but @Bakerman's method works really well. to be able to effectively use the sequencer for this it would have to start from the beginning each time you play the note (run thru a single cycle and stop) and you'd need to be able to set the decay so it could be a bit more staccato. @simeon wish list items?

Last edited:
Yes, I got that, but the part is only one note. I think I’m confused. I will re read the thread again later

This was a fun learning experience for me, stepping outside my normal box. I want to thank @simeon and @Bakerman for their helpful suggestions! Ultimately, I approached this from bakerman's concept by playing the part (all at the 12th position). I wanted to sequence it but just couldn't get it all the way there.

Oh, and there's a looper on scene 2 so you can play the synth, record it with the looper then solo over top, as long as you stay on the "A" and don't play thru the changes, but that's close enough!

As I promised, here's the patch I'll be using...

Scene 1 = Rhythm Guitar, Scene 2 = Synth w/looper, Scene 3 = Solo
(forgot to mention: in the cab block, in the 3rd slot i used the blues jr far field ir)

Also uploaded to axe change: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7065

Attachments

• Life's Been Good.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom