Can any of you guys tell me why this one hasn't been brought up?

lLooks nice but it's not the most lightest out there, you got the Carvin DCM200L = 1.8kg and of course GT1000FX for 3.7kg.
The DCM is not a monster and the GT is much more expensive but they are both a proven choice from a known brand.
However I like the price and the 4 channel option very much, I used the AxeII couple of times with 2 amps (each on different output) with 4 cabinets and it was a knockout!

Peak power can be and usually is very misleading. It's typically used to get very high ratings for marketing purposes, and is not indicative of the unit's actual (RMS) or average power rating. There's a lotta difference in cost between the two ratings due to the components used in design and construction, so it's not unusual to see relatively inexpensive units with ridiculous power ratings that aren't anywhere near reality compared to more expensive lower-power units that will actually perform as advertised. Not surprisingly, the high-quality lower-power units usually are louder and more clear, and will certainly last longer.

I have a Carvin DCM2000LX power amp in my Fractal rig. It's plenty powerful enough to provide loud stage volume, even through a pair of somewhat inefficient (and awesome sounding) Euphonic VL110 cabs. The amp is less than ten pounds in weight and is fully configurable via USB for custom EQ curves. Carvin gear is well designed and solid. The total weight of the four-space rack in this picture (Fractal Audio AxeFX II XL, Carvin DCM2000LX amp, Gator GR-4L rack) is around 35 pounds.
IMG_0488.jpg

I don't know why Carvin amps aren't recommended more often. I've used a number of them, and the quality/performance has always been stellar while still being very affordable.

I think one of the reasons the Matrix unit is so widely touted is simply form factor. 1000 watts in a 1U space that's reliable, lightweight, and essentially transparent? What's not to love? The Carvin will do as much, but it's a 2U unit. Add a power conditioner to your rack, and now you've got to carry a 5 or 6 space rack instead of a 4 space. Even if it's not heavy, that's not appealing to those looking to minimize load-in/out or freight issues.

Back
Top Bottom