Can an Axe-FX III provide the following?

ToTheAtom

Hi! For those patient and kind enough, I have some important questions to ask. :)

Former owner here of an Axe-FX II XL+. Loved it! Had some financial issues after a couple of years, however, and begrudgingly sold it and purchased an AX8 as a more affordable replacement. Shortly after though, decided to sell my guitars (and therefore the AX8) and focus on hardware/software synths instead - I just couldn't afford to keep everything at once. Anyway, that's been a lot of fun and a very interesting learning experience, but I've simply missed the guitar WAY too much (will never do that again) and have decided to shake things up once more: selling off most of the software and pairing down the hardware synths to just a couple of simple desktop units.

I started the comeback by ordering a beautiful Godin Multiac Steel Spectrum acoustic/electric guitar (https://godinguitars.com/product/multiac-spectrum-natural-hg-031238/), which should arrive shortly after the holiday. After much research, I also then ordered a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI box (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AuraSpectDI--fishman-aura-spectrum-di-imaging-pedal-with-di) to essentially serve as the preamp. In addition, I was planning on setting up a modest pedalboard (and started making some purchases) to run the DI box through before running the signal back to my mixer, then into my audio interface and finally my studio monitors.

Long story short, I wasn't even thinking about Fractal with any of this until, suddenly, it dawned on me today that (holy sh!t) maybe an Axe III could replace a lot of this equipment! Looking at the product page on their website, I became even more intrigued. I think this could actually work! I would LOVE nothing more than to come back to the Fractal family for good. I love their products, I love their company ethos and product support, I love the community, and I think Cliff himself is a real cool dude. Anyway, I'm just hoping it's not too good to be true and would like to pose some relevant questions to you all before making a final purchasing decision.

--- I'll number them to make it easier to read. Please free to answer any and all, if you feel so inclined:

1) The number one biggest concern I have is that I have moved over almost exclusively to a Linux OS (specifically, Ubuntu 18) due to work. If I'm going to make this purchase, I would need to sell my existing class-compliant audio interface and use the Axe III as my interface instead. I've just read through some of the forum posts about this topic and it looks like I can use Wine for the editing and update software, which is good to know. Regarding the interface capability itself, however, is there anything I should be concerned about or aware of in a Linux environment? How is the Axe III as an interface, in general, compared to the previous generation?

2) I just bought an acoustic guitar. Granted, it's a fairly versatile acoustic guitar, but my only experience with these units is exclusively via electrics. I do plan to add an electric eventually, but how well does the Axe III handle acoustic guitars, specifically piezos like the Godin has? Would it be advisable to keep the Fishman DI and plug directly into that and then through the Axe for effects or is that pretty unnecessary? Any insight here would be greatly appreciated because it's completely foreign territory for me.

3) My last concern has to do with my hardware synths. I'd love for the Axe to replace my mixer altogether as well. It does look like there are a few extra inputs on the back of the unit, so that's good. How well does the Axe play with synths (both analog and digitial)? I'm concerned that everything would be tuned towards guitar pickups and therefore not so hot processing and applying effects to the synths. Could I, in theory, have a guitar and my two synths plugged into the unit at all times and have separate signal chains for each? If so, this would be amazing and a potential game changer! If I acquire another synth or two down the line, can the number of inputs be expanded with a third party interface or something like that? Just trying to think it all through. Also, as always, I don't know what I don't know!

Bravo if you've managed to read through all of the above and thank you sincerely for taking the time. Your advice/insight/criticism is very much welcome and invited. Really hoping to make this work!

Best,
Will

1) Linux is not officially supported by Fractal Audio, so just keep that in mind.
That said a few of us run various Linux distributions. The Axe-Fx III needs a couple of kernel patches to work properly under ALSA (see https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/linux-usb-issue-when-powering-on-unit.137649/). Kernel 4.18 has these patches already.

Ubuntu 18.04 uses kernel version 4.15 - You have some options, you can use the HWE stack, which updates the kernel to v4.18. You can wait for 18.04.2 which will enable this automatically I believe or you can install today but you may run into bugs (unlikely but should be aware): sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-18.04 or linux-lowlatency-hwe-18.04

The alternative option is to stay with v4.15 and use my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~albaguirre/+archive/ubuntu/axe-fx2) and install the snd-usb-audio-dkms package which compiles the ALSA snd-usb-audio module with the required patches (the patches are compatible with v4.15).

I use the lowlatency kernel as I use the Axe-Fx as my main sound card and I play a piano synth (PianoTeq 6), so I want the lowest latency possible. You'll have to tune your system to achieve low latency without underruns (a lot of info here: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=453da0919f9c9c8d5f02ff27ac6e7c57 )

I also use JACK (http://jackaudio.org/)

The Axe-FX III improves on the II - it's possible to achieve a lower latency now and you have 8x8 capability (8 USB inputs, 8 USB outputs).
It's pretty powerful but not fully configurable (i.e. the inputs and outputs are hardwired to certain blocks, see manual).

2) I believe Piezo directly shouldn't be a problem with any of the inputs. But I have no guitar's with piezos.

3) Only Input 1 is optimized for guitars. The other inputs are just normal inputs that can take up to +20dBU signals.
Yes, you can bring all inputs into the grid and route them however you want. Note that Inpu2, 3 and 4 are all stereo so you technically have 6 channels + 1 optimized for guitar. If you need more then you'll have to bring an external mixer into the picture at that point.

You, sir, are the man!!! Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. I especially appreciate your insight on the Linux compatibility. Just curious, what distro are you using? Specifically, I'm using Kubuntu 18.04.1. Have been contemplating if I should upgrade to 18.10 or just stick with LTS. What would you recommend? Always curious to hear what other people are doing.

I'm completely new to the platform as of three or four months ago (having been a Windows user most of my life), but it's catching on quickly and I don't plan to go back! Being able to bring up a console at ease is just too cool. Still have so much to learn about the audio environment, however. I have been poking around the musician forum the past couple of months (even have a post there asking about audio interfaces), but much of the terminology is still over my head. Will try to play catch up as quickly as possible.

I do also want to say a big thank you for introducing me to Pianoteq! One of my biggest regrets about moving over to Linux was having to leave behind most of my cool music software - the Linux compatibility for that scene is pretty dreadful (though I give a lot of praise to Reaper and Bitwig for putting the effort in). Specifically, I'm really sad to say goodbye to Spectrasonics. However, Pianoteq may help make up for the bitter loss of Keyscape. Now, if only I could find anything remotely close to Omnisphere....

1. I’m not qualified to speak to this

2. I’m picky about my acoustic tone, and have tried many different processors, including the Aura, to try to give my plugged-in sound the feel of my mic’d sound. Creating an impulse response for your guitar (or another guitar) made with YOUR pickup by far offers the best tone if you’re looking for a natural sound. The ToneMatch on the Axe FX offers an easy way to do this. You won’t need the Aura anymore! I’ve landed on Fractal gear for my live acoustic sound because I can run stereo IRs that give me a studio-like sound and I have tons of effects available.

3. Definitely. I’ve run synths through my AxeFX II plenty of times, along with my guitar. Each has its own signal chain. The III takes this to the next level.

The III can do things the II can't especially as a workable if not amazing sound card - but I don't love the idea of depending solely on an unsupported OS to get the most out of such great hardware and chucking quality outboard gear. I'd strongly consider another path, Virtual Machine, or alternate laptop.

With Linux, you'll waste time chasing things that just work in Windows or Mac.
You'll have fewer choices even then, and bonus, you'll get low to no support from most vendors, no just Frac.
What is your time worth? It's worth more than that IMO, but its your call.
(I'm not a Linux hater, as its absolutely great for some things on the dev and HPC side, and just and not getting there for others.)

@ToTheAtom I use vanilla Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the HWE kernel update I mentioned before. I plan to stick with that.

I let me know if you have Linux audio questions, terminology etc.

Does spectrasonics not work under wine?

Back
Top Bottom