Can a bad preset make FM3 freeze?

moregear

Inspired
My FM3 just started freezing after trying to bring a III preset (with Synth and CPU overload) to the FM3. Updating firmware and FM3 Edit, did not help. It seems to work on other presets but as I soon as I switch to this preset FM3 stops communicating and all knobs on the unit are frozen.

I have the sane on my axe 3. When a preset or scene name has # and then 31 or 34 in it then my axe 3 freezes. Have to turn the unit off. Changing the name or simply removing the # and the number fixes is usually. Even the stock preset jcm 800 had it.

I have the sane on my axe 3. When a preset or scene name has # and then 31 or 34 in it then my axe 3 freezes. Have to turn the unit off. Changing the name or simply removing the # and the number fixes is usually. Even the stock preset jcm 800 had it.
This is very intriguing
so perhaps it certain names or symbols that it confused by
amazing you were able to figure that out and reproduce it
that would certainly explain why it happens randomly on certain presets and certain users

OP - Are you saying the preset had CPU overload on the III even before importing it into the FM3? If so then it must be very very overloaded on the FM3 and has probably corrupted itself - then the FM3 is getting jammed up everytime you scroll to or over the preset.

No matter what the origin of the preset might be it's obviously causing an issue on your FM3 - so it needs fully deleted and then you can rebuild it manually and keep within the safe CPU limit of the FM3.

If you can't delete it using FM3-Edit because everything locks up when you load the preset then try overwriting the preset by saving another ok preset to it's slot. You can try the same overwrite procedure with USB disconnected and just using the front interface controls of the FM3 too if needed.

When a preset or scene name has # and then 31 or 34 in it then my axe 3 freezes. Have to turn the unit off. Changing the name or simply removing the # and the number fixes is usually. Even the stock preset jcm 800 had it.

Cannot reproduce. Not on the III itself, nor by creating such a preset on the FM3 and loading it in the III.

If you think you have found an Axe-Fx III preset which is causing a problem when you import it to the FM3, please feel free to attach it here.

This is very intriguing
so perhaps it certain names or symbols that it confused by
amazing you were able to figure that out and reproduce it
that would certainly explain why it happens randomly on certain presets and certain users

Yeah. Weird part was that one preset (jcm) was faulty out of the box. Later on I had it “pop up” twice in a random preset. I don’t know if it was the same preset number ( I swapped them all around).

All better now, preset deleted, no more issues. Synth attempt to make Strawberry Fields preset just overwhelmed CPU apparently... Thanks for the help men.

This must be a frequent thing in your bug reports
I honestly wonder if a large part of the problem is AXE 3 presets trying to be converted from axe change
and just overloading the cpu

would be interesting to know how many users that have experienced freezing have downloaded AX3 presets and tried to load them

Last edited:
I honestly wonder if a large part of the problem is AXE 3 presets trying to be converted from axe change
and just overloading the cpu

would be interesting to know how many users that have experienced freezing have downloaded AX3 presets and tried to load them
I’ve done that, not knowing any better. The FM3 is my first Fractal unit, and I went on a bit of a deep thread dive looking for out of the ordinary presets. There was a violin/cello one for the Axe3 that I tried to import through FM-edit and it crashed the lot; everything froze. I had to restart the FM3 a few times before I could select a different preset and stop it from locking everything up. I deleted the offending preset by saving a blank preset over the top and all was good again :)

Back
Top Bottom