Can 1 button change Amp AND Cab channel w/out using scenes?

JCBitB

Inspired
Hey guys, I’m sitting out in front of my house waiting for my fc12 to be delivered (missed it yesterday ugh) and I’ve been scouring the manual and tutorial videos, but I don’t recall seeing folks describe this.

I want to make each channel on the cab block match with a channel on the amp block, and I want to switch the amp and cab block simultaneously with 1 button without using scenes? Is this a case for using midi functions?

Hey guys, I’m sitting out in front of my house waiting for my fc12 to be delivered (missed it yesterday ugh) and I’ve been scouring the manual and tutorial videos, but I don’t recall seeing folks describe this.

I want to make each channel on the cab block match with a channel on the amp block, and I want to switch the amp and cab block simultaneously with 1 button without using scenes? Is this a case for using midi functions?
Just curious, why do you not want to use scenes?

Just curious, why do you not want to use scenes?

I use different reverb and delay channels in my kitchen sink preset depending on the song/day and I want to be able to change the amp/cab while keeping that moments time based effects untouched. Can you tell a scene to leave certain blocks alone?

Scenes are the intended method for changing multiple channels at a time. the ideas in this thread have been around for a while. i'm sure they will figure out something to give these features, but it's not as easy to program as it is to need.

Since you are talking about an FC-12, I am going to assume that you have an Axe-Fx III? Which is where this would be actually be setup.

Use scenes to change your Amp and Cab channels together.

Effects.......
  • I would look at using multiple instances of Delay/Reverb blocks instead of channels. (better spillover)
  • Put them in parallel paths to prevent their 'tails' from interacting when bypassed (unless desired?).
  • Attach Control Switches to their bypass parameters. Even group some of them together on the same Control Switch if desired.
  • Give each Control Switch a custom name on the FC pedal to indicate what it is/does.
  • Set the 'Per-Scene' parameter of each Control Switch that is being used, to 'Last'. This will make them retain their bypass states through scenes.
  • You can also set some (all?) of the Control Switches to 'Exclusive', so that only one (in the group) can be active at a time. For example... to switch between - Delay 1 + Reverb 1 - to Delay 2 + Reverb 2 - then to Delay 3 + Plex-Delay 1, all with flawless spill-over, with a single press of a Control Switch button.
You could do something similar with other effects that you want to persist through scene changes?

Allowing Control Switches to toggle channels would be perfect for this.

Otherwise, I'm hoping for a "link" function where you can tell it to change channels in unison. Something like "when I change the Amp from Channel A > B, also do the same thing with the cab." Then you could toggle the Amp channel the normal way and the Cab will follow along. I know there are scenarios where this would be useful with other fx, but Amp & Cab are so directly related to each other that at least having it for those 2 blocks would be killer.

I agree this is something I’d like to have. Likewise the ability for a FC switch to trigger two functions across the board (with one press).

However you can achieve it a little bit.

If you only have two amps and cabs to switch between have two amp blocks and two cabs both active and have the FC switch to select the channel on a multiplexor- therefore only allowing one signal flow downstream.

I do this to simulate amp channel switching

Allowing Control Switches to toggle channels would be perfect for this.

Otherwise, I'm hoping for a "link" function where you can tell it to change channels in unison. Something like "when I change the Amp from Channel A > B, also do the same thing with the cab." Then you could toggle the Amp channel the normal way and the Cab will follow along. I know there are scenarios where this would be useful with other fx, but Amp & Cab are so directly related to each other that at least having it for those 2 blocks would be killer.
This idea, expanded to any block being able to mirror the channel of any other block, was my version of the wish. That way the scene could set initial state, but a single switch could give you up to 4 different "scenes within a scene". It would certainly be able to do the amp<-->cab synchronous channel thing, but would be capable of so much more.... :)

Agreed - for me it's the reverb and delay pairing.

Actually what we're describing is a composite effect box, which can contain a number of effects and you change channel on that 'box'. That's not perfect since both/all effects would need to be at the same point in the signal flow, but it's a thought

For me it's the Volume Block/Wah Block pair. I'd love to be able to change channels on these two blocks with one switch within a scene.

I have the modifier settings for the volume pedal set to Channel A, and the Wah block set to Channel B. I'm currently using scenes to change the channels, but it sure would be nice to be able to change the channels within a scene so I could switch the function of the expression pedal from the volume block to the wah block on the fly.

@peteri I don't think this is a request for a composite FX block because many of us want to change channels of two blocks that are in different locations in the signal path. I have the wah and volume blocks in different locations in the signal flow (wah before the amp, volume pedal after the amp and before delay/reverb) so using the multiplexer, or a composite block, won't work for me.

Last edited:
For me it's the Volume Block/Wah Block pair. I'd love to be able to change channels on these two blocks with one switch within a scene.

I have the modifier settings for the volume pedal set to Channel A, and the Wah block set to Channel B. I'm currently using scenes to change the channels, but it sure would be nice to be able to change the channels within a scene so I could switch the function of the expression pedal from the volume block to the wah block on the fly.

Is the the purpose of the wah channel change to allow auto-engage on channel B, yet stay bypassed while on channel A?

I think this example would be possible with a control switch on vol/pan bypass that also toggles a Multiplexer between wah and shunt paths. The blocks can all remain on one channel.

Is the the purpose of the wah channel change to allow auto-engage on channel B, yet stay bypassed while on channel A?

Yes, exactly.

I think this example would be possible with a control switch on vol/pan bypass that also toggles a Multiplexer between wah and shunt paths. The blocks can all remain on one channel.

Brilliant! Got it working. Thanks for the suggestion.

You have certainly lived up to the title of "Axe-Master" with that one!

Yes, I've done this setup using 2 amp blocks and 2 cab blocks. I can get 4 different sounds in one preset. I use 2 mixer blocks.
Mixer 1 sends left signal from amp 1 and right signal from amp 2. Mixer 2 does the exact same thing for the cab block.

Then I personally use scene controllers to adjust the amount of gain on each amp.

It his way I can have a fender twin giving me a clean sound and an edge of breakup together with an engl powerball that gives me crunch and distortion.

I personally use scenes to do the switching, just so it's simple and totally seamless switching.

Back
Top Bottom