Can´t install the USB-driver.

Hi, I just got my Axe II but when I tried to install the USB-driver the Axe is not recognized and my PC says (well it doesn´t say it, it writes it on the screen) "Error: driver install error code: 105" and sometimes I get the code 111. I´m running Windows 7 64 bit, Axe firmware 5.01. I´v tried to install the drivers on two different PC:s but I get the same result on both, no luck. In device manager it writes "unknown device" with a yellow exclamation mark.

I´ve read some threads about it and in one thread somebody wrote that one could go right to the setup.exe in the "Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer"-folder but when I do that I get a "Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it.".. on both PC:s.

My best guess right now is that it´s the cable (trying to ignore the thought of a defect unit), but I´ve tried two different USB-cables that I had lying around. If I´m going to buy a new cable, how do I know what cables will work? Has it something to do with USB 1, 2 and 3?

REALLY thankful for help :) .

Okey, no I´ve tried 3 different cables so it should not be the cable. I got it to work one time but when I rebooted it stopped working again. What is this, why doesnt Windows recognize the driver? Is there older USB-drivers to try somewhere or any other solution?

Really really thankful for help.

I had no issues installing driver on Win7. Did you follow install directions and have Axe powered on/off as needed ?
If you get a 105 error the drivers did not install correctly and yes, you can run setup.exe directly.

However, DO NOT LET Windows install USB drivers. If you get the standard MS W7 "USB driver installation" prompts, ignore them or cancel out. Let the install program do it's stuff. You should not need to reboot ur Pc when done, but might need to power cycle the Axe. You should see a FAS logo in the systray if the driver install completed successfully and "FASUSBcpl.... .exe" in Task Mangler.

I'm more of an XP guy myself, but I am running Win7 64 bit and getting around a bit. I was able to install with no problems either, but I'm going to try to help you a bit.

With the AxeFXII turned off, but connected go into Device Manager and expand the sound, video and game controllers section and make a note of what you see in there. Should be your PC's soundcard and maybe something else in there, but no AxeFXII. Now with this still expanded, turn on the AxeFXII and see if anything at all shows up in there. If it's installed the correct drivers it should say Axe-FXII Audio. I'm betting that it doesn't say that if anything shows up at all.

There should also be a seperate section right under the floppy drive that says "Fractal Audio USB 2.0 Audio Devices" with another listing of Axe-FXII under it. Doubt that will be there either.

Now if it doesn't show anything at all in the soundcards section you are going to have to repeat those same steps a few times, but figure out what kind of drivers it's installing. I'd bet that it'd be in Human Interface devices or the USB area. See if something pops up in there. Just try to figure out what device is added when you power it up.

Whatever it shows up as you are going to have to right click on it and select uninstall. After that power down the AxeFXII and start installing the drivers, when prompted turn the AxeFXII back on.

I can't promise this will work, but what I'm thinking is that because the drivers are actually more like an intermediary type of transport or something (a daemon or whatever) Windows will install it's own drivers which of course aren't going to work right. Everytime you turn on it's just loading the wrong drivers and you have to tell Windows to uninstall them.

Another thing could be if the port is the wrong version. I can't be sure, but I think that the AxeFXII is only USB2.0, so just trying another port (after installing the drivers correctly) may help. I've had plenty of devices over the years that just don't like certain ports even if they are same version. Sometimes motherboard headers are made from crappy cables or flakey connectors or whatever. I have never been a fan of USB for anything that requires steady bandwidth to begin with.

Hope that this helps you somehow. If it doesn't at least let us know if it even shows up in Device Manager.

Hi, thaks ALOT for the answers :) .
I did follow the instructions and powered the Axe on/off (I just turned it off, waited for a few seconds and turned it back on again or is it something more than that?).

Now I got it to work a second time, but then some minutes later it doesn´t work again, then I have the FASUSBspy-thing telling me that nothing is connected and a little icon down to the right on the screen also telling me that no device is connected.

The USB-port is showing up in the device manager as Unknown device in the USB-section, not the ausio-section and I tried what you wrote, shasha, to uninstall the drivers from there and try to install the Axe-drivers after that but then it´s back to ol´ code 105. I have tried different USB-ports.

It seems like you are onto something, that Windows is trying to install their own drivers as fast as they get a chance, and overwrite the driver from Fractal. Is there any way that I can prevent that from happening if I get it to work again?

I believe so, but it's easier to get to if you just follow my instructions here. I'm not a real fan of how deep they stuff things.

So hold the windows key and press Pause. This will bring up the system settings. On the left margin is Advanced System Settings. Open that up. Go the Hardware tab and under the button for Device Manager is a button for Device Installation Settings. This will open up a dialog that lets you tell windows to leave your hardware alone (I hope). Anyway, I'd try selecting No, and then select Never Install ffrom Windows Update. You can always go back and re-enable it later if you want, but this was the only thing that I could find for you.

since you've tried multiple USB cables, have you tried a different port.
You COULD uninstall the drivers, reboot, then re-install USB drivers while connected to a different USB port.
I have seen it where USB drivers will work on some ports and not others. I believe this to be an MS/USB problem.

Thanks : o ). I changed the settings to what you wrote but I can´t get the Axe-drivers to work again, so no luck over here in cold Norway.
Oh, I was looking forward to some serious Axe-testing testing, not troubleshooting for USB-drivers.. but thanks again for trying to help : o ).

I had the same problem and was never able to figure it out. I was getting "Error Code 105" or "Error Code 116", etc.

I ended up buying an M-Audio MIDISPORT and doing it the old fashioned way. You can still use Axe-Edit, except you go from your USB jack on your computer to the MIDI ports on the back of the Axe-FX II. It cost about $40 and well worth it since I was unable to fix the USB problem.

I installed mine without issue but might have a suggestion- is your PC a USB 3.0? as my limited (and very new) understanding is that the driver is for usb 2.0 - as your pc sounds pretty high end with 64 bit and win 7 it may be USB 3.0 and the driver is incompatible- once again I am a complete noob but not exactly stupid on PC's.- Also I might add that in pro tools up to version 9 at least the USB doesn't work anyway as an input only a midi in.
Like posted above I spent many hours struggling with the usb only to find it works for bank loading and firmware updates only for me. Also mine didn't connect with axe edit until I clicked test connection then it was on.
Hope something helps

Hi Romanienreaper, I have a MIDI-cable since before that I used with my Axe FX standard so I can try that but one of the reasons that I´m upgrading to II is the re-amping-function and that I can´t use with the MIDI-cable, right. Or am I wrong?
Did you try the Fractal-support? What did they say about it?

I read some other thread about someone that solved a problem like this by changing the USB-cable but the cable that he used in the first place did work with other devices and he never really understood the differane between the two USB-cables he tried, but one worked and one didn´t. Are there different types of USB-cables? Well, I know there are different types but is there a difference between two USB-cables with the same connections? For example, my RME Babyface came with a USB-cable with two connections on one end, I think you are supposed to use it if the babyface needs more power or something like that. Could something like that be a solution if it´s the cables that are kaputt?

Thanks for the suggestion, Diezeljammer, but unfortunately i have USB 2.0.

Isn´t it a little bit weird that it worked 2 times but not the other 50 times?

There are differences in cables. Just because one works for one device doesn't mean that it will work for others. I am not certain, but I think that it comes down to the amount of data being transferred; something small may work fine, something that requires more bandwidth may get dropout. I've got one that I use to charge my cell phone, but I can't connect a USB hard drive to it because it just doesn't like it. I can use the same port iwth a different cable and it works fine.

Hi Romanienreaper, I have a MIDI-cable since before that I used with my Axe FX standard so I can try that but one of the reasons that I´m upgrading to II is the re-amping-function and that I can´t use with the MIDI-cable, right. Or am I wrong?
Did you try the Fractal-support? What did they say about it?

I read some other thread about someone that solved a problem like this by changing the USB-cable but the cable that he used in the first place did work with other devices and he never really understood the differane between the two USB-cables he tried, but one worked and one didn´t. Are there different types of USB-cables? Well, I know there are different types but is there a difference between two USB-cables with the same connections? For example, my RME Babyface came with a USB-cable with two connections on one end, I think you are supposed to use it if the babyface needs more power or something like that. Could something like that be a solution if it´s the cables that are kaputt?

I'm not sure about the USB thing and the re-amping. I haven't really used that part of the unit yet so not sure.

I tried two different USB cables and it didn't fix the problem. The funny thing is that the USB worked just fine with the Axe-FX II from June of last year until about a month ago. Not sure what changed in that amount of time. Someone here on the forum said that they think it is a Windows problem and that Windows "stacks" USB ports or something in Windows 7. I don't know enough about computers to understand that stuff. Definitely is a pain in the backside though. :)

Fractal has my unit right now because I had a corrupted memory or something like that. Not sure if their fix will fix the USB problem.

Well I just updated the BIOS on my machine. It didn´t fix the Axe-problem but a SSD-disk that didn´t work when I put it in a few month ago suddenly came alive : o ). Now it sounds like my things never work, but they usually do, he, he.

Should be interesting to see if they fix your USB-issue, r.reaper. Would be really nice if you could post here or PM me when you hear something about it from Fractal.

Du you, Shasha, know what kind of USB-cable that works? In that case I can buy one of those and try it out so I can be shure that it´s not the cable that´s the problem.

Anything that's spec'd for USB2.0 and by a semi-reputable company. I'm not talking about spending $40 on something with gold connectors and crap here. Belkin makes decent stuff. I don't even know what I have connected to mine, I bought them bulk a few years ago and just grab them when I need one.

He, he, the gold and diamonds goes to the wife, not to the cables. So one would think that the cable that came with (and works with) RME Babyface that´s USB 2.0 would work, right?

He, he, the gold and diamonds goes to the wife, not to the cables. So one would think that the cable that came with (and works with) RME Babyface that´s USB 2.0 would work, right?
You mentioned in your re-amping post about running Windows in Swedish? Are you running a non-English version? If so, that MIGHT be an issue with the USB drivers. I'm not sure if it was fixed or not (or even if my aging memory is faulty) but IIRC during the early testing of the drivers, it would not install on a non-English version of Windows.
Runs fine once installed, but would not install with other language packs active.

Might be worth a try to switch languages ? Just a thought and it may no longer be an issue - I'm trying to confirm that.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I read about that in another thread and thought at first that that could be the problem, but since it worked to install the drivers some times I started looking in another direction, but thanks ALOT for trying to help :) .
I´ve now reached 4 (out of probably 100) succesful driverinstalls, but some minutes later it goes back to "not working" again. It still seems like Windows is overinstalling Fractals drivers with their own, is there anyway to say ""Naha Mr.Windows, it´s my PC and I want to decide what drivers are the right ones for my Axe" (I tried Shashas advice earlier in this thread)?

Back
Top Bottom