Camcorder\video camera with audio inputs for mixer or ext mics

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Trying to find something under$500 that has audio inputs or ext mic inputs. I had a zoom Q8 but just didn't like the "fish bowl" effect on the videos. I loved everything else, especially the audio capabilities-which I mentioned in the title.I am just talking home music videos in small studio for family and friends.
People rave about the Hero stuff, but the audio options seem really limited. I have the capabilities to record great audio with my DAW, but all the syncing etc seems scary. Guessing the Zoom Q4 or 8 are going to be only options in this price range.
Thanks for any advice

I’d suggest going on B&H and looking through refurb DSLR’s. My old D3200 has mic inputs for things like hot shoe shotgun mics and stuff like that. For example:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1461735-REG/canon_2727c021_eos_rebel_t7_dslr.html
Although I don’t think that one in particular has a mic in jack. Camera makers really don’t care about audio in this price range.

This one has a mic input.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365770-REG/nikon_1576b_d5600_dslr_camera_with.html
Note that all these cameras have the audio file type “ Audio File Format - Linear PCM (Stereo)”. Ask yourself if that’s something you really want to deal with.

Last edited:
Appreciate the suggestions guys. I guess owning the Q8 a few years back spoiled me. 2 XLR\TRS mic\line inputs. I think it's a bit late in life for me to tackle learning how to sync audio tracks with video tracks. Maybe not, but I have no idea.
The Q8 really recorded stellar audio. I also have a Sony PCM10 that records better than the Q8.
Then, of course, my daw records better than both. Oh well, my dilemma, Thanks

Final cut has a free 90 day trial at the moment - give it a go. There's an "sync clips" option which does all the hard work for you.
Hey Leon,
I have Vegas Movie Studio 16 but never even opened it. Was given to me as a gift one year. But I think it is not so pro. Not sure.
I am very computer savvy and it would be great to be able to use just a good camera, like the guys suggested here and then audio with my daw.
I'll give it a look. iirc it's kind of $$$.
Thanks and enjoyed your FM3 videos (well and also your others) but will be ordering the FM3 monday. Presently still have my Ax8

All links for Final Cut Pro for windowstake me to Filmora Pro for windows? Maybe that's the windows version? I downloaded the demo.

FXP is Mac only, unfortunately.
OK Thanks-Filmora Pro seems pretty robust. Maybe that's why the final cut links took me there. Seems pretty robust. Cost about the same as final cut. Hope the demo gives me time to check it out. Vegas movie Studio 16 seems to be a NON pro app. Good thing it was free for me.
Thanks

Adobe Premier Pro is apparently the gold standard.
An Adobe CC sub really is the most cost effective way to go. Premier, photoshop, acrobat, after effects, and all the other toys for $20 a month (I think that’s what is is right now).

Last edited:
So after installing the Filmora Pro trial and watching a titorial it does indeed sync the audio and video Automatically (or manually). The key for this app is to record audio with the camera mic and that is what it uses to sync to the audio file from your daw after you import it to filmora. Pretty cool!
Thanks to all for the help

Back
Top Bottom