Camcorder / making videos ?

VeryBadMan

Experienced
I found an old Camcorder in my house a Cannon GL1 . Seems like a nice camera but is it hoplessly out of date ? Seems like it uses these little Mini DV cassette thingies. Just maybe want to make some youtube vids of music / songs / Fractal stuff . I have tripods and lights I found with it too, but is the camera too outdated to be usefull ?

my first youtube video's were using a Camcorder that Used Mini Dv. It will work, but remember that you can only overwrite those Dv's so many times before they go bad, that is why I moved to all digital, just easier to reuse the memory cards.

thanks . Seems like its a " Digital , analog , digital " recorder . Haha kind of like a Tube Modeling amp neither completely one nor the other . I'll give it a try .

The Canon GL1 is a great little cam... it has 3 chips rather than a single chip like similar consumer cams of that time. This means that it processes the RGB values separately instead of a single chip doing it all. Essentially this makes for better picture quality and lower image noise.

DV is still used, however Cards have become the current standard. I run a Video Services business and I recently updated to 2 Sony NX Cams that take card... in doing so i decided to back up and catalogue all of my HDV Tapes on to HDD so I had to manually capture each one. I had about 150 tapes and it took a LONG time...

All in all though i think you'll find the GL1 will do an excellent job for your purpose. It has enough manual control if you want to really get in to it and IIRC had a progressive mode that will shoot at 30 frames which will give you a more 'filmic' look. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom