Calling Ty Tabor!

check out my superpack, i made a couple Ty Tabor presets.

i emailed Ty and asked him if he would tweak some presets for $ and i got no answer. i don't think he is interested in giving away his tone.

You should get very close to that tone with the BRIT JVM OD2 OR (AxeFxII) or a Brit Pre with boost and mid boost on (GenI).

Last edited:
Trademark Marshall tone, and not too much gain, nice.

He still uses an axefx ultra so you won't be getting any axefxII patches. He always liked to use the preamp with no poweramp modeling and use a tube poweramp. Looks like in that video he is running the ultra into the poweramp section of the Marshall head. Probably rented the Marshall stack and just brought the ultra and guitars. I thought I read somewhere he liked the FAS MODERN but I may have been dreaming that.

He still uses an axefx ultra so you won't be getting any axefxII patches. He always liked to use the preamp with no poweramp modeling and use a tube poweramp. Looks like in that video he is running the ultra into the poweramp section of the Marshall head. Probably rented the Marshall stack and just brought the ultra and guitars. I thought I read somewhere he liked the FAS MODERN but I may have been dreaming that.

FAS Modern would make a lot of sense, actually. I've always associated that am model with molten-death tone, but it's worked as a nice thickener tone in recording. Never thought to find that kind of crunch there. I wonder how much of the marshally tone attributes come from the power amp and cabinet? Is the Modern a Marshall-ish based tone? I've always lumped it in with a rectifier.

i emailed Ty Tabor again and got no answer. maybe he is not getting his messages.....gmail is usually fairly solid though.

It would not surprise me if he is either unwilling or reluctant to share his thoughts on crafting tunes with the Axe FX. But, he's also gigging at the moment, so his responses my be slower. Ty mastered one of my albums, and his responses in that context were prompt. The only time when he was delayed was when he was on the road. He let me know that he would be checking his email less frequently, and so I was prepared. He struck me as a really nice and down to earth dude. So, who knows. I would be really curious to find out how he crafts tunes using the Axe, regardless of whether he would share his actual presets. The philosophy behind it is more interesting to me.

i would think that he might be up for what i'm asking; i sent him a couple of presets i made along with soundclips, and i'm asking for a price to tweak those presets.

i finally heard back from Ty today. he is really busy with a cd project right now, so he doesn't have time for much. but he said he would check out the preset i made and get back with me once he's done with that project.

FAS Modern would make a lot of sense, actually. I've always associated that am model with molten-death tone, but it's worked as a nice thickener tone in recording. Never thought to find that kind of crunch there. I wonder how much of the marshally tone attributes come from the power amp and cabinet? Is the Modern a Marshall-ish based tone? I've always lumped it in with a rectifier.
Didn’t Ty use Mesa's back in the day? Not sure which day but a day. I've seen him live using the old rack mount Pod as a preamp into a poweramp, I've also seen him using the Randall (could've been Egnater) MTS stuff. Different tones but still sounded awesome!

Didn’t Ty use Mesa's back in the day? Not sure which day but a day. I've seen him live using the old rack mount Pod as a preamp into a poweramp, I've also seen him using the Randall (could've been Egnater) MTS stuff. Different tones but still sounded awesome!

Dogman era is a Recto; earlier albums were a Lab Series Solid State head!

Back
Top Bottom