Calling Fractal Gods from Olympus...

<Paul

There is a real, very serious lack of information and tutorial information on the FX8 mkII. You cannot find hardly anything and most of the videos are old and 1st version FX8. The manual remains incomplete w no effect block information other than a referral to the AX II manual which is not quite the same as the FX8. Can we please get some updated stuff guys??? Do you need writers? Some of us love to read manuals and detailed deep info on gear like Fractal which need and demand it. What sort of idiot would attempt to just turn knobs on these units to imagine they were ever going to understand, find or use half the features correctly???

Very odd indeed. I just bought one, in fact it’s not been delivered yet. I was pretty much astounded to find the manual as incomplete as it is. Especially for a product that’s been out for a couple of years.

The differences between the first version and the Mark II are cosmetic and switch orientation. On the Mark II, they blacked out the face plate, relabelled the Function footswitches and reversed the orientation of footswitches 1-8: Footswitches 1-4 were moved from the top row to the bottom row and vice-versa for 5-8. Every other aspect is the same; knobs and soft switches, effect types, number of instances of the blocks, configuration within the grid, pre/post effects configuration, etc..., are exactly the same.

Check the wiki.

Thanks for the tip - I did. It's sufficient. Still, it would be nice to have it all in one place, i.e., a manual. Anyway I understand the appeal of the wiki crowd sourcing concept. However, I really like your pdf of the drives - very informative and well done. Kudos... I'm sure it wasn't easy to put together.

One [off topic] question: I have a Tube Works Real Tube Driver "Concept and Design by B.K. Butler. 5 knobs: Output/Drive/Hi/Mid/Lo. Presume it's pretty much the same as the Tube Works Tube Driver described on page 93? Other than the Mid knob, it seems to me it would be, but thought I'd check with you as you seem to have it all dialed in.

Looking for the smoothest, singing drive possible. Not too dissimilar from a classic Santana tone, or Andy Latimer of Camel. Sweet, melodic etc. Not saying the Tube Driver is the answer but its pretty good seeing as it has an actual tube in it. Appreciate your feedback.

My unit arrived today - will spend some serious time with it this weekend.

I’m not familiar with that specific Tube Driver model. Looking at your wishes, I’d try the Full OD model. That should get you close with its thick sound.

I maybe in the minority but I prefer my higher end pedals for OD and especially high gains. I love my Friedman Deluxe Dr and my Revv pedals, just cannot see anything coming close to them
I do like a few ODs and Boosts in the models but in general they do not ring the cow bell for me. I am sure they will do well with amps but I need my pedals for their preampling quality as I am not using std guitar amps these days. I am getting such killer tones right now integrating the FX8 has been the best sonic improvement for me ever.
I sold off my Strymons (Timeline and Flint) and I dug those pedals. I really like that Enhancer (classic) to kick on to change the perspective to a wider stereo field, really sounds good on anything. I saw a vid on the original Boss mono unit and this chap was saying it might be the most useless pedal ever. Yeah, mono is pointless but what a cool way to delay one side of stereo a bit without using a delay block just for that. A bit like a double track thing but really musically useful, one of my favs, and that Tape deck Distortion/OD model, really great.

Such a shame the FX is now a dinosaur in the Fractal product line (no more support upgrades or sales), really a great unit and now the AX8 as well. I was just about ready to move to that as a love the floor unit concept. Now it's the III or the FM3 but of course you have to add on the floor controller. Is the larger foot controller also now dropped from the line?? Not sure Fractal is making a good play on going all in on the FM3, I really liked the FX8 and AX8 markii's shame they are retiring such epic floor units.

Back
Top Bottom