Calling any James Tyler Variax and Axe2 users

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Any users out there?

Whats the output level of the synthetic modelling like compared to the magnetic pups when using 1/4 inch jack from the guitar?

I have a Variax 700 which I usually used direct via a cat5 to the digital Variax input on a Vetta2 - I stuck some batteries in it and plugged it into the Axe front input just to see what it sounded like - the output level was really really low.

I don't like the neck of the Variax 700 at all (amongst quite a lot of other hardware related things) and if the James Tyler model is nice I might change up to it just to have the variety of guitar models to noodle with at home and maybe live too.

Yeap...I'm using the JTV-69 w.the Axe II. Did several mods to the JTV. Replaced the neck w/a compound radius Strat neck. Put a tremlno on the tailpiece springs. Also used a scruncy behind the nut and on the trem springs. Finally, balanced the digital and mag outputs using workbench and adjusting pickup heights. Results: a really playable, versatile guitar rig.

Aha .... so workbench can adjust the levels of the digital outs?

I have a tremel-no on the 700 too ... I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the same fixes seem to be needed to the JTV ie trem noise/stability and neck.

I'll obviously have to try and get hands on experience with one before making a decision

Yea...I was really looking at having a better made guitar w/the JTV (I previously owned the 500, 700, and 600). Was glad the added the new features (digital tuning, mag pickups, and lithium battery). But the guitar build execution is not up to what you would expect. Would have been really cool if L6 had opted for a kit and/or went to some of know builders (Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc.) to produce the guitar. I would've paid $2K for a nice guitar and all the trimming. But, I've just about spent that on my JTV-69 upgrades (including luther setup).

I have a JTV-69 that I was going to sell, but I kept finding myself playing the Axe and thinking "I wonder how a [guitar model here] would sound with this model". I un-boxed the JTV-69 and now I find it's a fun guitar to play with the Axe.

Out of the box, I found my JTV-69 synth sounds to be a lot hotter than the mags. However, since I never really used the mags at all for the last project, that was acceptable. I found that I really didn't like a lot of the synth models on the distorted patches. Something about them made them excessively muddy compared to the genuine article.

I have a JTV-59US. It's been a killer guitar; it is what it is... modding it because of the glued-in neck would be daunting. I find it to be an exceptional guitar; but this is not the import. I lucked into this (it was a beta-test guitar) for a deal I could not pass up; I could not be happier with it.

I use workbench to balance the output and lowered the magnetic pickups a bit to even out the output between both the modeling stuff and the analog stuff. Had the frets leveled and crowned, nut was redone, etc. It's a player that just has that 'thing' that makes you want to play it. I would not part with this guitar.

Here it is doing acoustic rhythm on this song (I'm in the dark on the right):

I am using it in various shots here (though she used the original song as background music):

To all fellow James Tyler Variax owners Line 6 just released a remarkable firmware update for the Variax plus updated the Workbench HD software Here is the link: Line 6 Software
The variax firmware amazingly fixes the strat 2nd and 4th position issues (its like night and day compared to before) and provides seamless switching between models.

Cool, need to check that out. Was VERY disappointed with the last update. Actually made lots of things sound worse. Appreciate the heads up.

I have an original "Jeff Miller" variax/PRS Santana & recently put the new variax guts in it.
so much better than the old variax. with the axfx II it is the SHIT!

Back
Top Bottom