Calling all Zeppelin fans...

i was referring to the comment that a "Les Paul into a n/mv amp" being something that digital devices have a hard time recreating. I think the Axe does this very, very well

It does, but I have yet to hear anyone get even remotely close to Page's tone on TSRTS or his Hiwatt tone from RAH. If this is something you can dial up easily can you post some patches?

Found this on the web…

Jimmy Page's Guitars and Gear

- Sola Sound Tone Bender Professional MKII
Very old, and perhaps little known pedal designed by Gary Hurst on which the better known Arbiter Fuzz Face was based. Page was one of the very first people to own this pedal, way before it hit production line. He used it in the Yardbirds era, and on Led Zeppelin I. Page stated that this particular effect was a huge part of his sound.

- Roto Sound Tone Bender MKIII
Quite similar to the Sola TB, major difference being the 3-transistor. If you wanna hear it yourself watch Led Zeppelin – Tous En Scène live 1969.

If you are into Page's early Telecaster live tones, I think those can be recreated pretty easily. Mostly because he did utilize the fuzz. But after 1970 he ditched the dirt boxes and went essentially straight into Hiwatts and then Marshalls live. These are the tones that I have yet to hear recreated with any degree of accuracy.

1973 Marshall Super Lead tone

1970 Hiwatt RAH

Last edited:
It does, but I have yet to hear anyone get even remotely close to Page's tone on TSRTS or his Hiwatt tone from RAH. If this is something you can dial up easily can you post some patches?

Again,I was replying to the "Lp into non-MV amps" part of the comment, not Page's tones. Sorry for the confusion.

Don's has two outputs, Jimmy's has one. It seems as though the scale length on Don's is shorter as well as a shorter headstock. It could be due to the photo though. Jimmy's tail piece is WAY further back as well.

This is a little bit out of context, but some of you might be interested to see the difference between the double neck guitars used by both Jimmy page and Don Felder.View attachment 22233

Jimmy's was custom built at the timer to have a longer string length - the bridge tail pience was placed very far back on the guitar. I have no idea why -it's probably hard to find strings with that much length). Most 1275's, like Alex Lifeson's also have a shorted 12 string headtock, like Don Felder's and I'm pretty sure Steve Howe's). The most recent Customshop models have the JP length headstock, but shorted string length. (That's the one I have).

I will try to give this a shot. Probably running an echoPlex in front of a Marshall 100 watt would be a good place to start. I'm not sure by TSRTS, he used any stomp boxes, so I'll have to check.

In the meantime, I'll pick up a burst from a local dealer, shouldn't cost me more than $500,000 dollars. Well worth it. : ).

- Sola Sound Tone Bender Professional MKII
Very old, and perhaps little known pedal designed by Gary Hurst on which the better known Arbiter Fuzz Face was based. Page was one of the very first people to own this pedal, way before it hit production line. He used it in the Yardbirds era, and on Led Zeppelin I. Page stated that this particular effect was a huge part of his sound.

- Roto Sound Tone Bender MKIII
Quite similar to the Sola TB, major difference being the 3-transistor. If you wanna hear it yourself watch Led Zeppelin – Tous En Scène live 1969.

FWIW, I think he used the Mk1.5, the second incarnation of the tonebender, using two OC71's. It sounds like the best fuzz face you ever heard, only better. It nails Page (although the same guitar and amp helps). I'm lucky to have one, and have never seen another for sale.

FWIW, I think he used the Mk1.5, the second incarnation of the tonebender, using two OC71's. It sounds like the best fuzz face you ever heard, only better. It nails Page (although the same guitar and amp helps). I'm lucky to have one, and have never seen another for sale.
Well, i would strongly suggest you get together with Fractal on the safest way to get your pedal to Cliff's lab for analysis and modeling. :encouragement:
Unfortunately driving there is, statistically, not the safest way to get it there. J/K. This is the pedal on my Axe wish list.

I always tried to get that subtle bottom-sounding fuzz from "You Shook Me", but could never get it.

I think Jimmy's tones come from his fingers, not his equipment. Stairway was recorded with a telecaster, but all the live shots you see him playing either a Gibson LP or a Gibson DoubleNecked BackBreaker (tm). There is no elusiveness. It's him, we cannot be him. I play Zep tunes but don't waste my time trying to be Jimmy or his tone.
I am sure he never played with the same amp twice, and changed pedals and guitars like he changed his drink.
"real amp"? Do you mean "physical amp"? My AFX is pretty real to me. It an AFX is not a "real amp" does that make it an "UnReal Amp"?
My AFX is UnReal! Woohoo!!!

Agreed in his fingers, steadystate seems to have those fingers channeled somehow. I remember him coping Jimmy's "tone" on AWLL using an Ultra (nonetheless) and his fingers actually replicate Jimmy's "tone", sloppiness and all. It was quite revealing and an amazing feat, which showed the the dude has some serious chops...I guess to survive in Vegas, it is a pre-requisite!

I can only imagine what steadystate would be able to muster up with the old Ultra super tweed to cop Jimmy's "tone" using an Axe FX II?

I will try to give this a shot. Probably running an echoPlex in front of a Marshall 100 watt would be a good place to start. I'm not sure by TSRTS, he used any stomp boxes, so I'll have to check.

In the meantime, I'll pick up a burst from a local dealer, shouldn't cost me more than $500,000 dollars. Well worth it. : ).

Would love to give your creations a try--if you put something together, I'll post a clip of the tribute band and the patch live.

Back
Top Bottom