Calling all stereo players: .8th and stereo?

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
So I usually play in stereo using IEM. I have never really used or nailed that .8th thing but I continue to try and mess with it. My question to you all is this. Since the .8th is not a stereo effect what do you do when you switch to a .8th? Do you just use that in mono panned center or do you maybe use a dual delay set to .8 on left and right so both sides are .8th but you get that feeling of having the sound spread out?

So I usually play in stereo using IEM. I have never really used or nailed that .8th thing but I continue to try and mess with it. My question to you all is this. Since the .8th is not a stereo effect what do you do when you switch to a .8th? Do you just use that in mono panned center or do you maybe use a dual delay set to .8 on left and right so both sides are .8th but you get that feeling of having the sound spread out?
It will sound spread out mostly if there is a slight delay on one of the delay sides, assuming you're equidistant from both speakers. So at that point it's not exactly .8th on both sides, and could throw other performers off if they're closer to the "not quite .8th" speaker. I'd go mono on that effect.

I run stereo @church...one cab 100% L and another 100% R. Typically for .8ths, if I want a more in your face effect, I'll use a digital delay in parallel and run it relatively high in the mix. I'll also use a brighter tone. For darker or more subtle .8ths, I'll use an analog delay with a darker tone and mixed lower. I hadn't ever run into any issues running it in stereo - the sound guys are pretty good to tell me if something sounded wonky. I also like to add just a hint of right post delay within the digital delay - like 20ms to add some breath if you will. Even though church is a live setting, its more studio-ish if that makes sense. We use in ears, click, and some tracks. In students, we are set up for mono, so I just run it out of one side.

I think it's a little harder to dial in a .8th without a set tempo (click) for a song...if I'm in that situation I'll run my delay further back in the mix.

I run stereo @church...one cab 100% L and another 100% R. Typically for .8ths, if I want a more in your face effect, I'll use a digital delay in parallel and run it relatively high in the mix. I'll also use a brighter tone. For darker or more subtle .8ths, I'll use an analog delay with a darker tone and mixed lower. I hadn't ever run into any issues running it in stereo - the sound guys are pretty good to tell me if something sounded wonky. I also like to add just a hint of right post delay within the digital delay - like 20ms to add some breath if you will. Even though church is a live setting, its more studio-ish if that makes sense. We use in ears, click, and some tracks. In students, we are set up for mono, so I just run it out of one side.

I think it's a little harder to dial in a .8th without a set tempo (click) for a song...if I'm in that situation I'll run my delay further back in the mix.
so you are off setting the right side a hair huh?

Yep - before I was sophisticated, my pedalboard was setup like that...I had a Keely 30ms running into a Strymon Timeline. I would delay one side slightly, like 20-30ms and add some detuning.

Back
Top Bottom